Wiring Codan 9350 autotune to Prado 120

Submitted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 07:03
ThreadID: 132406 Views:2991 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning,
I am in the process of buying a Codan 9323 radio and a 9350 autotune which I will mount to the rear of my 2007 Prado 120 with a Kaymar spare wheel mount.

My question is to those that have a similar setup, how do you run the coaxial cable and control cable through to the autotuner.
Routing of the cables through where?
Drilling holes then grommets?

Thanks in advance,
William

PS: also any other hints, like where do you fit the remote head and main body would be welcome.

Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 07:42

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 07:42
Good morning William

You are buying one of the easiest and best HF's that Codan ever made - good choice mate.

I have a NGT transceiver mounted on the cargo barrier on my Patrol with the head on a RAM ball mount just to the left of the gearshifts.

I had a transceiver install place here in Tamworth (Independant Comms) do the install as I am friends with the owner - the 9350 is mounted on the RHS of my Kaymar wheel carrier and the cables come into the vehicle via the RHS tail light assy so no drilling or grommets.

I was a bit concerned that the cables might get crushed but the rubber seals around the assy seen to have negated that concern as the NGT works a treat.

One thing is critical on any HF and that is the earthing for the antenna and the transceiver body - Codan use a wide flexible braided copper strap. Mine goes from the 9350 to the body of the Patrol and the same on the transceiver itself. As I said the NGT works perfectly with this setup.

If you need any other advice David at HF Sales near Brisbane is a great guy and knows all about HF - sadly not too many of his sort left these days.

Good luck with the install and I might hear you on the airwaves sometime.

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 600024

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 08:26

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 08:26
Hi John and thanks for your info and reply.
What about dust entry into the rear?
William

FollowupID: 869338

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 10:29

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 10:29
By the way.... that is HF Radio Sales at Mt Crosby, a Brisbane suburb. David Collins.
"HF Sales" is quite different.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 869343

Follow Up By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 13:40

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 13:40
Hi William

I have not found any "undue" ingress since the install but I have not found any vehicle that does not have dust coming in anyway - apart from my AOR Quantum campe that is.

Any dust that does come in is in behind the rear panel so what I don't see does not hurt me LOL

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869353

Follow Up By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 13:43

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 13:43
Hi Allan

Yes apologise for getting that wrong. David was very helpful when I called in there last year and wanted my NGT software updated and channels redone. He was in the midst of renovating the workshop area but still did a great job for a very reasonable price.

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869354

Reply By: maurice b - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 08:01

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 08:01
Dont know about the 120.In my 105 series i mounted my main unit under the passenger seat(yes my vehicle doesn't leak water)I run the Auto tune coax/control thru the floor drain gommet of rear rhs passenger footwell sealed it then inside the chassis rails to exit at rear in spiral plastic shielding.Its very important that the Antenna has a good earth to the chassis which is the flat earth strap. 1052 HF Radio Club
AnswerID: 600026

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 08:07

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 08:07
A friend of mine mounted his under a front seat, was great until he got stuck doing a river crossing, I'll leave the rest to your imagination!

FollowupID: 869333

Follow Up By: B1B2 - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 11:28

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 11:28
I fitted my Codan NGT in the bracket supplied, under the passenger seat. The bracket has a quick release catch. If I am doing a water crossing it is easy to lift up out of harms way after sliding the passenger seat forward. I drilled the dashboard to screw on the handset bracket.
FollowupID: 869384

Reply By: gke - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 13:35

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 13:35
Hi William, I have a 120 Prado but I have a bullbar mounted tap antenna so my cable runs will be different. In my case the main unit is on a shelf I put up high at the back utilising the threaded holes above the windows.
With a lot of juggling I have the control head, and speaker in front of the gearshift.
If you don't have a radio manual there are two things to be aware of.
Keep the power cable and the control cables well apart or you can get distorted transmissions. Ok together for short distance such as same grommet.
You must connect the remote head and main unit before connecting the power lead to the battery, otherwise the thing locks up.
There are some good threads in the archives e.g. 28936,57079.
I have an 8528 so I am assuming the above applies to later models.
I ran cables by removing trim plus under carpet after removing front seats.
Above all have very good earthing.
Cheers, Graham VKS 5893
If you care to post an email address I can take some photos if you wish
AnswerID: 600041

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 18:02

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 18:02
Hi Graham,
Thanks for those photos.
They were very helpful.
I tried to reply to your email but the address keeps on bouncing back.
I was wondering if you could send me the sizes of the remote head and main body.
William

FollowupID: 869403

Sponsored Links