Camper trailer hire and caravan storage Cairns

Submitted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 11:27
ThreadID: 132479 Views:2993 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings.
This topic has come up in the past but it has been a few years ago now. I first used the search engine before posting the Question.
We, two bird watching guys (feathered variety) are travelling from Portland Vic to Cairs in July/Aug/Sept towing a semi outback caravan.
We intend to put the caravan into storage in or around Cairns and hire a camper trailer for 6 weeks or more to go birdwatching up the Cape.
I would like suggestions on camper trailer hire for 6 weeks or more please and also storage for the caravan.
Is undercover storage a must in the tropics for this extended period also?

any good birding locations as a side issue would also be appriciated

cheers and thanks, Case
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 14:27

Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 14:27
No problems leaving the van outside. We dont get much rain in those 2 months and the build up doesnt see the heat/humidity get here till OctoberThere is supposed to be good bird watching around the Mareeba Wetlands. Just north of Mareeba. Best bet is too google the trailer hire mobs and talk directly with them. Just make sure you get the insurance side of things all sorted to your conditions. Spend some time around Daintree. The tropical forests contain many varieties of birdlife. I daresay that whom ever you hire the camper trailer from could house you caravan.

good luck
AnswerID: 600393

Follow Up By: case h - Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 13:59

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 13:59
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Mareeba is on the radar. they also have a golden finch release programme. i have been involved in the Wyndham golden programme in past years. cheers, case
FollowupID: 869914

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 14:23

Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 14:23
Case
When we were up the Cape last year I noticed a company called Captain Billy rented 4WDs and Kimberly Kampers out of Cairns.
I don't think they will be cheap though, but they are more comfortable than a tent!
IF you take it steady, you can go a fair way up the Cape in a semi off road caravan, perhaps you do that, then return to Cairns & hire the Camper Trailer for the more remote locations.
AnswerID: 600427

Follow Up By: case h - Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 14:01

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 14:01
Thanks Mark.
We are used the caravan for the greater Cairns/Daintree/Tablelands area and return to pick up the camper trailer as you suggested. Hope Tamworth is not too cold for you this coming winter. cheers, case
FollowupID: 869915

Reply By: Rob J8 - Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 22:23

Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 22:23
Can't help with the Camper trailer but last time we were staying at the Cairns Coconut Caravan Park in Woree, a southern suburb, in 2014 there were quite a few vans parked up and I heard it was quite reasonable.
Rob J
AnswerID: 600452

Follow Up By: case h - Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 14:02

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 14:02
Thanks Rob. will check it our in the coming days. Been years since I was last in Cairns. cheers, Case
FollowupID: 869916

Sponsored Links