Flinders Rangers via Oonadatta Track to Coober Pedy

Hi all we are leaving at the end of June from Yarrawonga vic to travel to the Flinders then on to Coober Pedy via the Oonadatta track then on to Alice and Darwin
We have a BT-50 twin cab diesel towing a 22ft Supreme Spirit X LE wanting to do as much free camping as possible
Has anybody been thru there recently and can you give us any idea of the tracks and things we must see and do and any other tips
Cheers Greg and Leonie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 22:20

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 22:20
Went down the Oodnadatta Track last October, Greg, after a Simpson Desert crossing. From Oodnadatta to Lyndhurst, where I turned up the Strezlecki, to Innamincka., there is a heap of points to stop at.Farina, Marree, all the old railway sidings, Strangways and the Peak Telegraph Stations.

Algebuckna Bridge, and many smaller examples on the old Ghan line. Plenty of mound springs in a number of places too.

If you weren't in a hurry, you could spend a week along there.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 600564

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 08:18

Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 08:18
What Bob said.
Best camping after Parachilna Gorge in the Flinders is Farina, very cheap at $5 a head.

Plus from south to north Talc Alfs place at Lyndhurst, at Marree you can drop the van into Muloorina Stn and drive the PAR up to Level Post Bay on Lake Eyre South, the cameleers water hole too just north of Marree is interesting, Plane Henge, Curdimurka sideing (big B&S ball site), Lake Eyre South viewing area, Mound Springs cons Pk, Coward Springs, next great place to overnight, maybe drop van and out to Halligans Bay, William Ck pub and parkland museum across the road, Algebuckina Bridge and waterhole (camping waterhole), Oodnadatta with the Pink Roadhouse and Oodnaburger !!

Ok, from here you aren't taking the Ood Tk to Coober Pedy, it's Ood Rd.

Ood Tk to Marla can be interesting, but if going back to Coober direct, I'd advise ducking out the Arckaringa to camp, view the Painted Desert at sunset / sunrise (or both !), then either out to the blacktop at Cadney Pk, or back and down Ood Rd to Cobber, taking in the little Breakaways bit just 17ks north of town across to the Stuart Hwy.
Enjoy, great country and history.
FollowupID: 869932

Follow Up By: Cheeky1 - Friday, May 27, 2016 at 14:41

Friday, May 27, 2016 at 14:41
As already stated Parachilna gorge is beautiful. The Parachilna pub is a must do also. Farina, Coward Springs, Algebuckina Bridge are great over nighters. The mound springs, and Oodnadatta are great to see. We were lucky enough to see Lake Eyre full a couple of years ago. I believe there's been plenty of water filtering into it in recent months? I wish I allocated more time to fossick around the many former siding ruins. It's a great trip! Enjoy...
FollowupID: 869985

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 04:50

Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 04:50
Can't help with the Oodnadatta track from Marree but the Kempe Rd from Oodnadatta to Coober Pedy is in real good nick and the Arckaringa Rd up to the Painted desert is also in good nick and suitable for your rig. Don't know what they will be like in June though.

We followed a track aboutWilliam Creek rd that was interesting but it petered out at the dog fence.

Also do the Breakaway loop out of Coober Pedy.
If you stay a a van park in Coober Pedy, It might just pay to stay at Ribas about 4K south of the town. Best way to put it is, there are no problems that far from town and the park is clean and well looked after. I would book if you use it as they have limited sites and will be busy at that time of year.
AnswerID: 600568

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 10:03

Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 10:03
If you can don't forget the Marree Camel Races on the weekend of 9th July for a whole lot of fun.Free camping behind the pub or if you are lucky in the caravan park.

Cheers

Merv/Di
AnswerID: 600575

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 16:16

Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 16:16
Now THAT is fun if you can manage the date in there !!
Was a hoot last year as we were heading up the BV track for a crossing.
FollowupID: 869952

Sponsored Links