Oodnadatta to Finke

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:17
ThreadID: 132625 Views:3883 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Its another year, another trip and yet again I need some advice.

I'm planning on doing a road trip to Uluru (just like last year) but instead of the hwy will be taking the oodnadatta track.

While doing the route planing i cant see to find anywhere to stop/sleep/camp on the leg between Pink Roadhouse and Finke.

Would it be worth while to take a the road from Charlotte Waters to Mt Dare and stop there for the night, and then head off to Uluru from Mt Dare?

There is roughly 780km from Oddnadatta to Uluru. The section between Kulgera and Uluru is pretty much sealed road and we are planing on stopping for any sight seeing (did it last year not much to see)

As per vehicles, I've ditched my Territory and got a Prado, and we'll have a Rav 4 tagging along with us. Both will be running on LT/AT tires.

Thank you in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:27

Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:27
Yes, Mt Dare detour is quite viable . . . Bloods Ck is the way to go, direct route via Dalhousie is a shocker for boulders !
Great facilities and camping there, a nice pub and good food / hospitality.

Dalhousie is well worth a visit and swim if you have time for a detour, but I personally don't camp there any more, no comfort fire, and sometimes (usually) lots of mossies after dusk.

Eringa Waterhole is beaut :)
And Hamilton Stn is still ok for camping there, just drop in and say hello, ask if ok to camp there, you do the right thing etc, and they should give you their approval.
Even though they told me they haven't banned it, it's just nice to say hello and ask.

Or, you can go past Finke (you are heading out through Kulgera, yeah ?) and camp at Lamberts Centre.
Supposed to be fine for camping there.
We are camping there in about a week, en route to Madigan . . . if it stops raining !!!
AnswerID: 600879

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 08:23

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 08:23
Good advice there, yes you can camp at Lamberts Centre, the track in can be interesting was a little washed out but you should be OK. There are long drop dunny's, oh, and a Coles shopping trolley.

enjoy
FollowupID: 870247

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 09:51

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 09:51
Don't tell me it's still there. We saw it in 2012. (photo below)

I wonder how the Old Ghan Railway Line track is like these days.

I hope Rangana asks first. It could be hard on something like a RAV.

It was very corrugated when we went up it in 2012 and our good mate in Mt Dare would have enjoyed getting away from it!!! (What do you reckon Greg).

Saw a few railway spikes, but not on the track. Off to the side in the loose rubble at the side of the track.

Phil
FollowupID: 870252

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 21:20

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 21:20
Wot Les said.

Eringa waterhole is a nice spot.
FollowupID: 870293

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 09:20

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 09:20
Ditto to what Les said

And I second the detour through Dalhousie with a stop at Mt Dare.

However why not after mt Dare go to Chambers Pillar via the Lambert Center.

Camp at Chambers, see the sun rise "down" it and then to Uluru via the Oaks Valley, in some places called the Hugh River Stock Route, across west to Stuarts Well Roadhouse and then south on the highway to Erldunda and then swing west to Uluru.

I personally haven't been across that stock route so you would have to check conditions. If it is not suitable then you could skip the Lambert Center and instead go from Mt Dare straight to Chambers Pillar and then double back on the Finke to Alice Road (old Ghan railway) after Chambers and visit the Lambert Center on the way across to Erldunda and then Uluru etc.

Phil

AnswerID: 600890

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 10:01

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 10:01
Hugh River Stock Route is a pretty easy run on a well maintained road, watch out for animals, saw plenty of camels there a few years ago.
FollowupID: 870254

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 10:53

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 10:53
I've always looked at that stock route and give it a burl sometime :)
Not a bad idea Phil, Chanbers Pillar is a pretty nice camping spot, and a close up look of the pillar reveals early explorers 'graffiti' carved into it.
The roughest part of that would be Finke to Maryvale on the way to Chambers, that was corroed very badly on my July (last year) run up to Maryvale turn off, into Chambers was pretty reasonable, must have been the recent Finke races traffic that caused most of that, but I imagine it is always pretty degraded.
FollowupID: 870260

Follow Up By: Member - Ray Dool - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 10:14

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 10:14
Did that section from Finke to Rainbow Valley via the stock route in May it was easy as you could get. Even to the stage a 2wd can do it.
FollowupID: 870307

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 10:21

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 10:21
Deleted - wrong place.

I a moderator wishes then please delete this post. I hit the wrong "Reply" button.

Phil
AnswerID: 600892

Reply By: Rangana H - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 15:41

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 15:41
Thank you everyone. I'll look in to all these place.
I think we maybe going to Uluru first on the hwy and then on the way back to Melb take the dirt track. This way we should be able to get an extra day on the oodnadatta and wont have to rush it.

Will get back to everyone with the next iteration of the route plan. Thanks again :)
AnswerID: 600906

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 20:23

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 20:23
Have heard from reliable sources that Eringa waterhole is open and closed to camping!
AnswerID: 600918

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 21:15

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 21:15
Yes, when I spoke to the lad there last year, I asked about camping there, and had they banned it ?
He said they are thinking about it, but decided not to.
They are just sick of bad campers leaving rubbish, open toiletry practices, cutting down trees / branches for campfires (why would anyone want to burn / try to burn green wood ?), and would you believe one fool cut out a railing to burn from the heritage listed stockyards just a stones throw from the waterhole ?
FollowupID: 870292

Reply By: Member - Ray Dool - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 10:12

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 10:12
You can back track 20 km's from Kulgera to Mulga Park Drive and take that road to Curtain Springs. its a good road we just traveled it last month. Great spots for bush camps as we did. Its well worth a look at doing.
AnswerID: 600942

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jun 18, 2016 at 20:43

Saturday, Jun 18, 2016 at 20:43
Camped at Lamberts Centre as planned on the way to Madigan.
Great spot !!

Didn't see shopping trolley, but then we camped sorta NW of the centre structure, and didn't go up near the (apparently) filthy toilet block, and am unsure of shopping trolley previous location.

Plenty of room though, and a fairly easy drive in with a bit of mud here and there, some can be bypassed with a bit of a maze of interconnecting tracks.
AnswerID: 601537

Sponsored Links