Mid-west WA - route ideas?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 07:17
ThreadID: 132638 Views:2259 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We will be returning to Port Hedland from Shark Bay and are considering going inland this time - for a change of scenery and maybe to visit Karajini.

There doesn't seem to be anything particularly direct so route suggestions would be welcome from regular travellers in the area. We won't be in a particular hurry.

Heavy rain is forecast so a last minute final decision will probably have to be made.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MARIC - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 09:16

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 09:16
Have you been to Mt Augustus? Then you could go via Nullagine and Marble Bar
and see a little different scenery. We hope to do tthe inland back routes on the way NW in July August
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 600937

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 10:55

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 10:55
No. Thanks for the idea Maric.
FollowupID: 870309

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:14

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:14
Another vote for Mt Augustus via Kennedy Range.

Great country out there

Cheers

FollowupID: 870311

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:15

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:15
Depending on your rig you could also when getting to Nullangine, go via the Skull Springs Rd to Marble Bar.
Stop at the Oakover River or Carawine Gorge then travel either to MB via the Ripon Hills Rd or go through Warrawagine Station (ring first for permission as it's a private road) then up the Muccan- Shay Gap rd to the Boreline Rd to the highway. These roads are in good nick as they are part of the postal route I believe.
Warrawagines road used to be the only way into Telfer and Woody Woody moons ago but is no longer a maintained road but is kept in good nick by the station.
I quite often use that way as it's remote without being dangerously so.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 870312

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:28

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:28
Alan

That is certainly the long way home! But I would agree with it if the OP has the time.

Don't wish to hijack the thread but I am travelling to the Kimberley in
August and was thinking of the Marble Bar-Shay Gap-Boreline Road route and was wondering about its condition.

Cheers

FollowupID: 870313

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:36

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:36
Yes it is a longer route but nicer than ordinary road travel. I've travelled the roads I mentioned on a few occasions and have always found them to be in fair condition.
We've taken our tent, camper and our small Goldstream van on them with no problems at all, even getting into Carawine with the van was OK.
That makes me think I'll get going soon and travel the route again myself, plus the Cook of course. :-))
Enjoy whichever route you choose.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 870315

Reply By: Joe Fury - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 12:32

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 12:32
G'day Sigmund

There are a couple of real alternate routes from Hedland to Shark bay on the inland journey.

You don't say whether you are driving a four wheel drive, towing a caravan or camper, so it makes it difficult to suggest anything that might be useful to you.

You correctly say that heavy rains are forecast for the entire north west, all unsealed roads be they major routes or roads into and through Karijini, Millstream, Kennedy Ranges or the Collier Ranges National Parks ~ will be closed to all traffic.

Marble Bar to Nullagine is mainly unsealed, Nullagine to Newman ~ sealed in some sections, but this road is always closed when there is rainfall over a prescribed amount in the region.

The Great Northern Highway and the Coastal Highway are both subject to flooding/closure and these are sealed major highways.

Safe travels : Joe

AnswerID: 600953

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 12:47

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 12:47
Many thanks for the great ideas folks. I'll pore over the map. And watch the road alerts.

We aren't really restricted by the rig. I would've said. It's a capable 4wd and offroad camper trailer.
AnswerID: 600956

Sponsored Links