Adelaide to Darwin

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 23:34
ThreadID: 132658 Views:2722 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Guys
This is our first trip basically outside of Qld-Vic.
We are heading to Adelaide and then to Darwin

What time frame would members recomend?
Where to stay?
Places to visit?
Is fuel (diesel) available.?
Last of all has anyone done it who needs bottled oxygen?

Travelling in a Ford Ranger Mk 2 with bullbar /
Have HF radio, SAT phone, Mobiles, Amatuer Radio and a CB
Anything else can anyone suggest.

Thanks in advance and happy travells

Samantha and Colleen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 04:46

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 04:46
Sam, I'm heading up to the desert in under 1.25hrs (but who's counting !! :) ) but if you can afford the time and drive up Oodnadatta Tk, and even Binns Tk to Alice or Finke Rd to Alice, they are a great little adventure with loads to see !!

Maybe a run there or back on the blacktop for speed, and the slow way on the other leg, OR, do a big loop avoiding the blacktop as much as possible ?

I haven't driven north of ASP as yet, but I'm sure others will have advice re that.

Suggest the compressor so you can air down if going Ood Tk / Finke - ASP road etc, much more comfy at 80km/hr (or less as needed) and 25psi.
Take a tyre plug kit.

Sorry, no idea on the oxygen, you can take enough or do you need to go via main towns to pick up supplies ?

Anyway, I'm off for 13 days :D so others might be able to add to this if ou have any follow up questions.

Cheers,
Les
AnswerID: 601035

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 12:54

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 12:54
Lucky Les are all tracks open we leaving Thursday..enjoy ya trip
FollowupID: 870384

Reply By: Member - Witi Repartee - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 11:09

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 11:09
What are you towing or tenting or swagging. Diesel generally available every 300/350km.What to see?Crikey!Depends on your interests I guess..however I second the Oodnadatta track suggestion. Do the mound springs. Coward springs etc. Drop tyre pressure and take compressor. Nimuluk.Jumping Crocs.Swim at Mataranka.
Daly river pub. Frans pies if she is still going. ...You will find heaps to do and see.
AnswerID: 601049

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 17:41

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 17:41
This time of the year the middle of oz is freezing at night and can be cool during the day. Take warm clothes for this region and shorts, hat, t-shirt for Darwin. Plenty of sunscreen too. Plenty of fuel along the way.

As regards oxgen I would contact the major cities/towns..alice, darwin ..medical centres/C.I.G....

Make sure your vehicle is insured and keep contents out of site and vehicle locked when unattended. Its a great part of the world...enjoy
AnswerID: 601061

Reply By: wendys - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 19:56

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 19:56
Time frame - as much as you can manage before the weather becomes unfavourable. By October it is getting quite hot in the Top End, and humidity starts to rise. The Centre is getting hotter, but without the humidity.
If you are planning on leaving in the next month or so, one could make a case for going straight to the Top End, exploring Darwin, Litchfield and Kakadu NP's, then working your way more slowly south.
Consider detour to visit Uluru and Olgas, and also to Kings Canyon.
There is so much to see!
Edith Falls, Katherine Gorge, Mataranka, Devils Marbles, East & West McDonnells, Coober Pedy and the Breakaways, Flinders Ranges - are the standouts, but much more. Haven't even touched on Darwin!
Both the Territory Wildlife Parks - at Alice Springs and near Berry Springs (out of Darwin) are worth visiting. If you can only mamage one, make it the Alice one - and allow much of a day to do it.
Where to stay - do you need caravan parks, bush camps, cabins???
AnswerID: 601071

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 22:35

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 22:35
I can't help you abut your Oxygen Sam, but for ideas on what to see (the type of things we chose), you can see My Blogs from 2009 Alice Springs to Darwin, and from 2008 for Alice Springs and surrounds.

Almost all roadhouses have powered sites, or if you prefer bush camping, there are plenty of spots along the Stuart Highway.

All roadhouses have diesel and there are plenty of them. The longest distance without fuel services is between Glendambo and Coober Pedy, being only 252 kilometres.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 601082

Reply By: Member - Sam VK4AA - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 23:18

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 23:18
Thanks All to who replied

Originally we where supposed to be leavving on the 10th to be in Darwin on the Friday for the V8's, but they decided not to tell us and left early and in all ready in Darwin. We where supposed to be following the leader, but now it is up to ourselves. Currently we are in Shepparton, with leaving Victoria on Wednesday.
We are trying to stick to the original time table but as we are newbies to this we are sailing with our backsides to the wind. This trip we are slumming it in cabins / motels as due to my illness, we where not able to bring our campertrailer along with us.

I have got a list of places to get oxgen and thats all good. Just means we need to carry and extra cylinder or 2 or 3 incase of issues if any surface.

We do plan to get the ranger serviced before leaving adelaide. (or port augusta)

Samantha & Colleen
AnswerID: 601084

Reply By: wendys - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 17:11

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 17:11
If you are in a hurry to get to Darwin, suggest you leave Adelaide till later. Go via Mildura, Renmark, Morgan, Burra, Peterborough, Orrorroo, Wilmington, Port Augusta. Good road.
AnswerID: 601107

Sponsored Links