Navigation using an iPad Air (with activated Sim card)

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 16:59
ThreadID: 132677 Views:2683 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Could someone in the Adelaide area please help me with some brief one-on-one tuition on how to use iPad navigation? All I want to achieve when travelling is to be able to know where I am on a detailed map. I don’t need to get into detailed route planning etc.
I am not a complete computer dummy but I simply do not know enough about iPads to get started. I am finding on-line instructions useless as I don’t know enough for them to be meaningful – similarly with Exploroz information.
On my iPad I have the Hema 4WD maps. I have downloaded Memory Maps but can’t get the two connected. Perhaps I don’t need to?
Last year I was in the Vic Alps, well out of phone range, and somehow managed to be able to follow where I was on the iPad Hema map. I don’t know how I did it, and I have not been able to replicate this again.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers, Dalb. 0429 900 070
Cheers, Dalb

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 17:08

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 17:08
Hi Dalb,

I'm not in the Adelaide area, but in Sydney but use the same set-up as you.

To get started, I'm not quite sure what this means: "On my iPad I have the Hema 4WD maps. I have downloaded Memory Maps but can’t get the two connected".

I'm wondering how you accessed the maps previously in the High country??

I only ever access my Hema 4WD maps on my iPad via Memory Maps.

1. Do you have a Memory Maps account?
2. Once you do, you can download your 4WD maps from the digital store
through the Memory map app.
3. Once downloaded you should be able to use the maps with GPS without a phone signal

There are probably other ways to do this, But I certainly use Hema 4WD on an iPad via memory map app.

cheers, Geoff
AnswerID: 601135

Follow Up By: Member - Dalb (SA) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 11:47

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 11:47
G'day Geoff, thanks for your reply
Re High Country. I had the Hema Maps already on the iPad. I clicked on a relevant map to help me get from Porepunkah to Wonnongatta and back and saw a red dot following me as I went along.
I have just been talking to Phil and have now sorted my problem. I seem to have turned off 'Location' for Hema and that's why nothing was working when I tried again later.

my immediate problem has now been solved, thanks.
Cheers Dalb
Cheers, Dalb

FollowupID: 870498

Reply By: Member - Roachie - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 19:36

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 19:36
I can't help you either....sorry.

I hadn't even heard of Memory Maps until 5 minutes ago.

I do have an ipad air though, so I thought I'd download the MM app and did so in a matter of minutes.

It immediately showed my current location, even though I'm inside the house!!

I then spent a few minutes looking at the map further up in the Birdsville area and I'm asking myself......why would I even need to add Hema Maps to the MM app?

From what I can see the MM is VERY detailed already....but perhaps I'm missing something??

Roachie
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601139

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 06:08

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 06:08
Roachie, you are right the free map that comes with Memory Map is very detailed. It has just about every track in Australia. Great resource.

The Hema maps are also good for outback touring and whhile they have less track detail they are better for an overview of the tracks.

If you get the free PC version you can also print the maps out in A4 or A3 paper. I haven't bought a paper map for years but always print out the maps before big trips in various levels of detail.

FollowupID: 870485

Reply By: Member - Rich - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 20:07

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 20:07
The hema 4wd app uses memory map software.
So when you buy it you get memory map plus a lot of maps
You don't need to install anything else
You can add additional, more detailed, maps if you like but the ones provided with the app are fairly comprehensive.
Once purchased you can run on iPhone or iPad
Alternatively you can get memory map application which comes with a very basic map and then add maps to it
I would personally just buy the hema app as less messing around
I believe hema also just sell the 4wd maps as a package, no software, but if you have these you will have to then install the memory app seperately and load these on your iPad as mentioned above in the second option. This is messy.
So instead just do the first option and buy the hema 4 app ( which comes with lots of maps).
Hope that is clear
Richard

Hema also sell an app called Explorer which is cheaper don't buy this one get the other more expensive one.

As you say you have the hema maps on your iPad, perhaps you already have this one

AnswerID: 601140

Reply By: backtracks - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 21:05

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 21:05
Gday Dalb,
Look, I'm no rocket scientist, but I have an iPad Air, and I have the $99 hems map app. I did nothing except click on it and look at a few YouTube tutorials. What are these memory maps ? I have used the hema maps in the middle of the simo and it all worked fine. No memory maps stuff.Dumb luck maybe, but maybe go back to basics ? Hema map app and follow a few tutorials ? I feel your pain ! I'm struggling big time with micro sd cards, iMovie and ' the cloud ' !!!
AnswerID: 601141

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 21:55

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 21:55
Hema and Memory Maps are 2 different apps. With MM you need to buy the maps before it will work. I don't use Hema 4WD however. With both apps it is important to have the maps downloaded on the Ipad so being in and out of service doesn't matter. Memory Maps and how you access and download maps is very clunky, took me a while to work out with licensing etc. My suggestion is pick your app and keep playing and perhaps speak to the Hema support team via their website.
AnswerID: 601143

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 06:04

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 06:04
LOL Hema 4wd maps is Memory Maps rebadged and bundled with Hema maps. they are the same thing.

You can even log into Memory Maps from Hema and buy more maps using the licencing.

FollowupID: 870484

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 09:00

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 09:00
Well there you go.! LOL. I use the marine version which is now called Quick Charts. It has always been clunky to use, every time you change devices as you do with phones and iPads you have to export your license across to the new device. Do Hema charge for map upgrades every time they come out?
FollowupID: 870489

Reply By: PhilD - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 00:08

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 00:08
Dalb, I am in Adelaide so I will give you a call in the morning. I have used Hema maps on my IPad mini for several years so should be able to give you the info you need.
AnswerID: 601149

Follow Up By: Member - Dalb (SA) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 10:59

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 10:59
Thanks Phil
I look forward to your call, anytime is OK.
cheers, Dalb
Cheers, Dalb

FollowupID: 870496

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 10:35

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 10:35
Dalb
Just make sure you have "Location Services" turned on.
You will need to go to "Settings" >>Privacy>>then turn on Location Settings
AnswerID: 601154

Reply By: Member - Dalb (SA) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 11:59

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 11:59
Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread.
The answer, as usual, was simple. Although I had the iPad Privacy location services On, I did not have Location On for Hema Maps.
Hema is now working as it did for me in the High Country, thanks to a phone call from Phil, and advice from others.
I will get rid of Memory Maps and just stick to Hema.

Hope to catch up with some of you on the road one day.

Cheers Dalb.
Cheers, Dalb

AnswerID: 601155

Sponsored Links