Black water tanks and flush toilets for caravans.

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 14:30
ThreadID: 132685 Views:6118 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

Does anyone have a black water tank and flush toilet in their vans. If so are you happy with it?

We are thinking about upgrading to a larger van (21') had decided to check out vans that have black water tanks at the maitland show. Surprise, surprise ;;;;they don't appear to exist in vans.

We were told that dometic made a system for vans years ago but it didn't take off.

Other van makers at the show were just not interested in any thing out of the ordinary.

I thought it a bit strange that motor homes and 5th wheelers have them but not vans.
I have looked at the weight issue and believe it is not a great issue.

I have rung a couple of places that make macerator toilets and they say that the it can be done with the smaller pan and seat and flush appropriately. River vans are looking into it at the moment for us.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: duck - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 16:18

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 16:18
Boo Boo

I have a marine macerating flush toilet in my camper & it works great
(Jabsco deluxe silent flush part number 58040-1012)
BUT
the bowel is gloss vitreous china (heavy)
is 12 or 24 volt
uses 1.5ltrs of water for a quick flush or 2.5ltrs for a full flush & if you leave it on wet bowel setting it uses another 1ltr (5ltrs of water to have a dump) can have it on dry bowel with no smell
Its not a problem as mine is on a 4wd truck Plenty of water (but more weight)
you need a large black water tank due to the 4 to 5ltrs extra every time you use it (more weight) due to the extra liquid you will need to fit a GOOD filter on the breather as it seems to stink more than the std caravan toilet but brake's down quickly & as I have a elect dump pump it is easy to empty
AnswerID: 601163

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 14:40

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 14:40
G'day duck

It would appear that 240 fresh/110 Black would be adequate for us.

Based on my calculations we could free camp for about 7 days without filling the black water tank.

Five litres for morning use. Another 5 during the day. Let it mellow if we can't urinate in a public toilet etc during the day.

So if we allow 200 for shower etc and 80 for the toilet then we could free camp comfortably for 5/6 days.

I have checked the cost of a sytem similar to yours and was told $1200 plus black tank plus a pump to pump it out and the fittings and hose.

A vacuum system was about $4000, but used half a litre per flush.

After I finish with this thread I will have a look at jabsco.

FollowupID: 870639

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 16:21

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 16:21
Bear in mind that emptying can be an issue at some dump points. No all are suitable to drive and dump. A cassette can also be carried (a fold up trolley can assist) to any dump point, or in the event that none is available, into a toilet where it is OK to use, or into the bush for a burial as has to be done in outback areas.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 601164

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 17:31

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 17:31
Just as an add on to Motherhens post, I pulled up overnight on the heavy bypass road at Winton a few years ago and in the morning went for a walk past the dump point. There were around 8 RV's wanting to use the facility and there were a few nasty words being exchanged between some of the RV owners as a couple jumped the queue, while they were arguing a van owner walked up with his cassette and emptied it in around 30 seconds, he left them accessing who was going to throw the first punch, or should that have been the first bit of shite.

FollowupID: 870519

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 14:47

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 14:47
G'day Motherhen

Call me a sook, but I had trouble changing our childrens nappies let alone a cassette with 4 days worth of trouble. I carry the cassette to the dump point and the better half dumps it.

So, we are looking at a different system.

we would be happy to dump during the day rather than line up in the morning.

FollowupID: 870640

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 00:00
My husband never changed nappies :O. But the cassette is his job. If emptied frequently it is not a smelly job at all. If you are relying on emptying a tank with a hose, the odour will be the same, but my you will not be able access all dump point to do this. I have never used a fixed tank, but envisage that you would also need to clean the outlet hose.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 870655

Follow Up By: duck - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 07:58

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 07:58
1) if on the coast a lot of boat ramps & wharfs have public waste/dump points with cam/locks no smell or spills & normally a tap so you can flush the tank & hose without getting any mess on you
2) with the hose you can lift the lid on a septic as long as the chemicals your using ok with a septic & pump straight in
3) due to the extra capacity I have in the holding tank I have never had an issue dumping safely & legaly

Note: I do have a sealed hatch & area for the pump hose & the BIG/long Gloves

Cassette toilets, I have no problem with, other than they need to be emptied regularly, EG: at Birdsville last years big bash most could not cope for the duration & a lot of uses could not get them to a dump point (not strong or fit enough & could not drag the trolley) & even the rule was no pit toilets there were a lots of campers digging holes & dumping into them
FollowupID: 870704

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 17:59

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 17:59
Evening Boo Boo

Australian Off Road make at least 3 of their vans with marine style loos. Vans are expensive but I love my Quantum.
Google AOR campers mate

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601169

Follow Up By: Jarse - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 07:38

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 07:38
Gidday John,
I have a Q4 being built. Pickup late August. Looking forward to not having to empty a cassette every couple of days and being to stay in national parks a bit longer.

Might have to train the missus on how to do the black tank though :D
FollowupID: 870533

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 15:00

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 15:00
Thanks John I will have a look at the site.

I have had a ball pk figure of $1200 plus the black water tank plus the pump out pump and and fittings. I will look at jabsco when I fininsh this reply.

Jares, we have the same thougfhts as you.
FollowupID: 870643

Reply By: jellybean - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 19:48

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 19:48
Jayco silver line have a black water tank.Toilet is seperate
jellybean

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 601206

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 14:55

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 14:55
Thanks Jellybean

I will have a look.