Heading to Flinders Rangers

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 11:45
ThreadID: 132801 Views:2787 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
The wife and I are heading off next Sat 25th to the Finders Rangers on route to Darwin via the centre
We are hoping for input from anyone who has just been to the Finders we are planning stay of about 5/6 days and was hoping for advise on where to stay both park and free camping
We had in mind Rawsley Station for a couple of days as a base also Angorchina village any ideas for free camping we are fully self contained we have a BT50 3.2 4x4 diesel twin cab with a 21 ft semi off road
Also can any one recommend any "good PAR tracks to do I have read about a couple but was hoping for readers experience
Cheers
Greg&Leonie hope to see you on the road
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 16:11

Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 16:11
Love bush camping at Rawnsley Park. Huge area, great views, toilets and the odd tap with running water. We have towed our non off road van in there with no issues.

The Arkapena 4WD track leaves from across the road and is on their property.

Not a 4WD challenge but great views of the Chance and Elder ranges.

There is a lookout about 5 km up the Martins Well Road that is a great spot for an evening BBQ dinner to watch the sunset with only a short run back to Rawnsley.

Further north the Nuccaleena Mine, Artimore and Patawarta Gap PAR is a good drive that will take most of a day.

Bunyeroo, Glass and Brachina gorges are interesting drives and Wilpena Pound is a good walk.

Kanyaka ruins on the way into the area are well worth a stop.

Most of the photos here:
http://www.nenke.info/Flinders.html
are from the central Flinders.

There is much to do and see, you will not run out of activities in 6 days.

And on your way further north don't miss The Breakaways just north of Coober Pedy if you are taking the Stuart Highway. We drove past the sign for years before taking the time to stop.

Enjoy

Pete
AnswerID: 601589

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 16:18

Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 16:18
Greg and Leonie

Have a look at http://www.southaustralia.com/en/places-to-go/flinders-ranges-and-outback

Also similar questions to yours have been on the forum. If you do a search on Flinders Ranges there is heaps of info on this site.

PS Rawnsley Park is a great place to stay. Make sure you do the walk to Rawnsley Bluff.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601590

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 16:47

Sunday, Jun 19, 2016 at 16:47
Love Parachilna Gorge free camping, sometimes you are lucky and have it all to yourself :)
The last camps closest to Parachilna side are nicest I feel.

Be a good last nights stop after perhaps visiting Blinman, driving the PAR (public access routes) up around PAtawarta and Glass Gorge loop.
AnswerID: 601593

Sponsored Links