Big Red Bash 2016 - CHANGE OF VENUE

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 18:17
ThreadID: 132882 Views:4331 Replies:4 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Just read on 4x4 Earth about the rain and change of venue for the BRB 2016.
The BRB website has all the details here . . . Big Red Bash

BIG RED BASH CHANGE OF VENUE - TUESDAY 28TH JUNE:

Significant rainfall in Birdsville and Big Red on Sunday 26th June has forced a change of venue for the 2016 Birdsville Big Red Bash. While the rain hasn't adversely impacted the concert and camping site, it has severely impacted the road from Birdsville to Big Red, as well as the access road into the venue from Little Red to Big Red. These roads will dry out and improve over the next few days, however they will still require repair work and have been deemed unsuitable for the volume and variety of vehicle traffic travelling to Big Red Bash site, both in the event set-up stage and during and after the Bash.

In the interests of our guests safety, as well as the organisers ability to deliver a quality event, the decision has been made to relocate the concert venue to the Birdsville Oval, directly opposite the iconic Birdsville Hotel, adjacent to the Birdsville Bakery and Wirrari Visitors Centre. Other than the change in venue, the Birdsville Big Red Bash remains the same in all other aspects, particularly in terms of the entertainment program and the ability of people to camp nearby.

Camping options are available in Birdsville, including the Birdsville Caravan Park and free camping areas around the town common - there is plenty of space to accommodate everyone. Birdsville will come alive with a great party atmosphere over the three days and nights of the event - quite similar to the Birdsville Races.

Ticket holders can still take a scenic drive out to Big Red when the roads dry up and improve, which is expected to happen quickly, given the good weather forecast from now until after the event.

While the organisers are disappointed at being unable to stage the event at the amazing Big Red site, they are moving forward with a positive attitude. They believe that if patrons come along with a sense of adventure and the same positive attitude, a great time will be had by all.

Decisions like this are never easy, but the safety of everyone involved is paramount, and this change was the only practical option given the road conditions caused by Sunday’s rain. Sincere thanks to the Diamantina Shire Council and staff, the Birdsville community and our dedicated and expert event crew, as without their support this change of venue would not be possible.

While only the venue has changed, we have developed a range of FAQs to answer common questions that we expect people will have about the change. FAQs can be found below.

Please keep an eye on road conditions and plan for alternate route if need be. You can keep up to date on all road conditions here: http://www.bigredbash.com.au/bigredbash/outback-road-conditions
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 18:19

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 18:19
A very interesting page link via that road conditions link of theirs, this one might come in handy for many, with further links to many state sites for various roads in the area.
http://www.burkeandwills.net.au/followingburkeandwills/road_reports.htm
AnswerID: 601930

Follow Up By: Member-George (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 21:40

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2016 at 21:40
It should be noted that the "Road Conditions" details are not up to date and a number of roads shown as closed are in actual fact open. Check the dates when the last updates were done. Cheers
FollowupID: 871501

Reply By: Member - Young Nomads - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 19:27

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 19:27
This one is updated every day, or at any time, when conditions change.

http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads

Cheers
AnswerID: 601966

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 19:30

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 19:30
Yes, the go to one for SA roads.
That is listed on that site.

It is the others that I thought may be of use for the surrounding states.

Why can't QLD, NSW, NT and for that matter all states have something similar ?
The SA road conditions site is a great and accurate reference.

The QLD one seems to be RACQ operated, just text.
FollowupID: 871522

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 19:55

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 19:55
Hey Les, check out this one for Qld by the Qld Gov

Traffic and Travel Information Qld
FollowupID: 871526

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 20:37

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 20:37
BOOKMARKED !!! :)
FollowupID: 871529

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 10:55

Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 10:55
The one and only way to get 'real' road condition reports is to phone the area council foreman , have yet to see any up to date generic website in any state , he and his road crew staff after all is said and done are the ones checking the road and then and only then inform the web for the 'official ' report .
FollowupID: 871544

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 22:13

Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 22:13
Not the way it works in any way, at least in SA Outback Road report.
They go off station rainfall and signs / website are changed electronically / updated from Adelaide.besides, who has access to road crew contact numbers except maybe locals who get to know them.
FollowupID: 871588

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Jul 01, 2016 at 07:59

Friday, Jul 01, 2016 at 07:59
Well Les , who do you think phones the stations ? I'll tell ya , tis the Local council Foreman / Admin who then collate the rainfall figures and decide with also the Police if and when to "close" or open the Rd … Adelaide may have the major web site BUT they would not have a clue of how much rain has fallen and how it affects the roads /tracks without local Council input. .. As for getting the area's phone numbers , you haven't done your research very well if you can't find the numbers for the places you plan to visit …...
FollowupID: 871595

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Jul 01, 2016 at 13:03

Friday, Jul 01, 2016 at 13:03
Well Alloy, only relaying what the lady at Marree pub told me in my 4hr layover.
I asked who changed the signs, as I thought they looked like manual ones, she said they are electronic, they turn by a flick of a switch from Adleiade.
I asked how do they decide, because BV Tk SHOULD have been closed for sure Fri 17th to all traffic, and it sure as hell was open to 2wd.
She said the Adelaide roads people contact certain stations, collate stats, look at weather forecast, and they have a matrix they use to decide.
So you think the local crews should have known what BV Tk was like ?
I'd say so, and it would probably have been closed.
Obviously you haven't a clue as to what happens, but the locals probably do.
I'm just picturing you trying to find depot numbers and road crew foreman numbers for places and making your list up, lol.
After hours must be fun.
Don't preach to me, you know nothing of my trip planning . . . I get all necessary contacts for my runs, RFDS (normally std for all trips), local police jurisdictions, parks numbers etc.
Even if you were right in some way, I don't think works people would appreciate calls from every man and his dog caling them asking about roads all the time.
Good day.
FollowupID: 871606

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Jul 01, 2016 at 13:12

Friday, Jul 01, 2016 at 13:12
Well thats just it Les , I actually live out that way so I don't have to rely on on false information produced by a computer matrix ,
FollowupID: 871607

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 22:39

Thursday, Jul 07, 2016 at 22:39
That SA roads site is very handy for a quick look at the graphic, but lags behind actual road conditions AND their signs. Their methodology is as Les described (as conceded to me when I finally got to contact a human at DPTI recently re the BV track). Also the BV copper confirmed the same, and he just follows their decision - faxed twice daily - since the border is just down the road.

For a change of approach, the Winton-Boulia road was closed a couple of weeks back.Winton shire said the problem area was (usually) at Hamilton floodways, about 80km east of Boulia, and they follow Boulia shire's lead. Rang Boulia shire, spoke to their bloke who makes the call, and asked what the situation was. Reply: "hang on, I'll look it up"/sound of keystrokes/"about 34cm now, by the time you get there it'll be down to 20cm or so. It is now open." Marvellous what a series of cameras on the floodboards can do. Of course, we had to wait for the blockade to be removed at the Winton end (Roads guy, not Winton shire). Despite prompting by W shire that a number of vehicles were waiting, that took over 1/2 an hour for him to tootle out 6km to remove the barrier.
FollowupID: 871796

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 20:30

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 20:30
I'm starting a rumour the name's been changed to the Not At Big Red Bash. :-)
AnswerID: 601969

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 22:42

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2016 at 22:42
As it's now to be on the oval in town Michael, I thought it might be changed to "Big Green Bash"?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 871534

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Jul 02, 2016 at 06:34

Saturday, Jul 02, 2016 at 06:34
Or Red on Green !
FollowupID: 871633

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 09:22

Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 09:22
Dusty & co at the bakery are going to be busy !!!
Bakery, the pub, all of it will be flat out hey ?
AnswerID: 601974

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 10:47

Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 10:47
They were all going to be flat out whether the gig is at big red or the oval ...
FollowupID: 871542

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 11:25

Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 11:25
Yeah, they will be flat out either way, but much more so with people camping within literally spitting distance.
People will be in there a LOT more I imagine !!!
Pub too.
FollowupID: 871547

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 11:44

Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 11:44
They bake and freeze all year to cater for the races and bash. The pies you eat are not necessarily made and cooked the day you eat them.
FollowupID: 871549

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 11:49

Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 11:49
I think just heating and serving will be busy enough !!
FollowupID: 871550

Follow Up By: Tim F3 - Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 20:34

Thursday, Jun 30, 2016 at 20:34
With barnsies volume i would think you could here the sound from all over birdsville ..
FollowupID: 871579

Follow Up By: Hewy54 - Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 21:41

Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 21:41
Seems strange that if they bake and freeze all year that they ran out of bread each day by 7:30 am and had a very limited range of pies later in the day. They also tried to get the baker from Farina to come up so they could bake more fresh each day!
FollowupID: 871856

Sponsored Links