diesel v's petorl and LPG

Submitted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 22:43
ThreadID: 13307 Views:2923 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are in the middle of trading our 4WD and are keen on a recent patrol that has a petrol conversion. WE have only had diesel previously and are unsure of the difference in ability to go off road with Petrol and / or LPG. WE will be travelling a lot of km so LOG obviously makes this cheaper! but is it worth it if it can not get up a sand hill?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MightyQ - Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 23:50

Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 23:50
G'day Paul, You are right,LPG is cheaper, it's just that you will use to much of it. We have found that we didn't benefit from so called better fuel consumption and have recently decomissioned the gas and gone with a bigger unleaded tank.
You may also find that to tune your Patrol is going to be a difficult exercise, you can tune for unleaded or you can tune for LPG but to tune for both is very difficult.
Good luck with whatever you decide!!!!
MightyQ
AnswerID: 60954

Follow Up By: Member - MightyQ - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 00:18

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 00:18
......Paul, forgot, stay with the diesel if you can, I would've if I could have found one.
FollowupID: 322531

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 09:05

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 09:05
The petrol/LPG will give you the grunt to get over the sandhills, but you'll have to stay close to civilisation, as most Outback communities don't have LPG (some don't even have petrol). If you want to really get out into the backblocks, go for diesel, otherwise the petrol/LPG would be fine. At the end of the day, you need to work out what you want from the vehicle and how much you want to spend on it. Overall costs work out pretty close for both options when you factor in fuel, servicing, rebuild costs, etc.

Cheers
John, Oodnadatta
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 60967

Reply By: Space Bastard - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 14:55

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 14:55
Paul, I own an 88 GQ patrol (4.2L) on dual fuel, and must say, LPG is an absolute blessing in city/populated usage. I regularly drive (from sydney) to newcastle, and Nowra (each about 200km one way) and find that the patrol is as cheap to run as most hatchbacks! I get around 28L of LPG per 100km, BUT the advantage is 35c per litre. In the country areas along the coast of NSW I find the price goes up to 48c per litre, but the unleaded is also very expensive in these areas.

I agree you will find it very difficult to get LPG in the outback, but if you plan to go inland for an extended period of time, most LPG mechanics will adjust your timing for unleaded driving for less than $100, and then you can carry plenty of fuel in jerry cans AND keep your LPG for when you get back.

As far as power goes, I can still pull a 2 ton car trailer up to newcastle at the speed limit most of the way, except for some steeper hills. Offroad, I've always had plenty of power to do anything on sand or rock. With timing advanced for LPG you will find no noticable difference in the power between petrol and LPG.

The only other thing that I can think of is that it will run a little hotter on gas, and thus some people have experienced cracked heads. In my family, we have two '88 GQs on LPG/unleaded and have put a total of around 300 000km on them, and never had a problem.

Also, use Penrite HPR gas oil, as it gives better pressure than the others.

good luck,

James
AnswerID: 61014

Follow Up By: Space Bastard - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:01

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 15:01
sorry, one other thing, ALWAYS get your LPG servicing/tune ups done by an LPG mechanic, otherwise you will get a poorly tuned car.

I also find its cheaper to run on LPG as long as its price per liter is less than half that of petrol. ie, 50c/L on gas is still cheaper for me than $1/L driving on petrol.

I don't know what the price of LPG is like in your area, but I find I can usually fill up for 35c/L all around sydney, newcastle and wollongong.
FollowupID: 322601

Follow Up By: Brew69 - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 21:40

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 21:40
We have an 89 dual fuel Patrol and i would have to agree it is a blessing. I am running cheaper than i was when we had a 2L 4cyl Toyota tarago. We get about 475km out of 110 usbale litres in the city and about 550km in the country. Also have 70 litres of ULP which adds to our range by 300km. And the statement about getting tuned at an LPG workshop is paramount.
FollowupID: 322669

Sponsored Links