Palm Vally to Kings Canyon

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 18:46
ThreadID: 133221 Views:3295 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, anyone have any info on this track, apparently it's a bit of a short cut, think there maybe a water crossing involved..? Any information, or first hand experience, will help the cause.. Thanks guys.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wendys - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:32

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:32
You might be thinking of the track through the Finke Gorge? Track goes off near Hermansberg, not from Palm Valley itself. Follows Finke River - sometimes in the river bed, so can be sandy. Goes via Boggy Hole, which we found to be a great place to camp - but that is a long time since we did the track. I don't remember any particularly difficult water crossings. Track continues south from Boggy Hole and comes out on the Giles Road, a goodly way east of Kings Canyon.
It is not particularly long but was slow going when we did it due to sandy river bed.
AnswerID: 603395

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:46

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:46
Yeah, that's the one, did a search on it, found a few older threads. Should have did the search, prior to posting the thread.. I got all excited! Thanks for the reply. Cheers Owen
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873028

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 20:23

Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 20:23
In the 70's there did used to be a track through from Palm Valley to the junction of the Finke and Ellery Ck. It continued on from the Ranger Station turnoff in to Palm Valley but due to people getting in to trouble and calling on the Rangers to help them that they decided to close it off. Fortunately, I got to do that track in about 1980 with workmates. It was probably the sections that resembled quicksand that got the track closed. Great overnight camp in the middle though.
FollowupID: 873164

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:53

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 19:53
Owen, if you've done a bit of track work, slow rock stuff, it's a piece of cake.
Bit of soft sand here and there, no water when we did it July '15, but even if there was it's only minor.
A small suspension lift is very handy, there is a section at the south end that is slower over some rocky ledge type terrain, only 20m or so.

You can't do Boggy Hole route through when the Finke is flowing.

Palm Valley is worth a couple of nights stay, 4 if you want to relax and do some more extensive walks in the area.

Illamurta Springs is interesting and just a short walk to the old police stn ruins etc.

At the southern end you hand a right on Ernest Giles to Kings . . . we headed out left to Henbury and then south down the Stuart for home.
AnswerID: 603400

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 20:15

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 20:15
Thanks Les, great information, we do have a few days at Palm Valley, and are looking forward to having a look around the area. The more we can learn before we are there, the easier it will make it for us.. Thanks for the reply. Cheers O

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873030

Sponsored Links