Carnarvon - Mt Augustus

Submitted: Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 22:31
ThreadID: 133387 Views:3152 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Strange question but Google Maps is giving a travel time of about 14 hours between Carnarvon and Mt Augustus. I'm hoping someone can clarify if it actually takes that long.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 23:38

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 23:38
GIdday

Must be a glitch in their algorithm

It's what, just under 500km depending on route and the first bit (170) to Gascoyne Junction is bitumen.

It's a while since I was there and the conditions may vary particularly if it has rained but I would reckon you could do it in a day with some sightseeing.

Better still break the journey at Kennedy Range, a great spot.

Enjoy it

Cheers
AnswerID: 604138

Follow Up By: gerard m2 - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 00:23

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 00:23
Thanks rocco

Appreciate the tip on the Kennedy Ranges
FollowupID: 873839

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:13

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:13
Great views from the top of the ranges which are not too hard a walk up through the canyons for medium fit people. Paths are sign posted and graded for toughness.
You may still be able to camp at Rocky Pool further towards Carnarvon although I keep reading it's closed for camping.... something to do with polluting the water supply.
If that's true I doubt the authorities have seen the on ground evidence of thousands of cattle and goats etc. :-))
Enjoy the trip
AlanH.
FollowupID: 873840

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 17:46

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 17:46
We came out of Mt Augusta yesterday. Left 9.00a.m. arrived Gascoyne Junction approx 1.15 p.m. Came via Cobra/Dairy Creek road.

Went into Kennedy Range today, so glad we did.

Both places magnificent, lots of flowers.

Our Garmin, with latest maps, is giving crazy information.

Enjoy!
AnswerID: 604200

Follow Up By: gerard m2 - Thursday, Sep 08, 2016 at 09:23

Thursday, Sep 08, 2016 at 09:23
Thanks Min,
What were the road conditions like to Gascoyne Junction?
FollowupID: 873938

Reply By: Dean K3 - Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 17:42

Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 17:42
Bitumen carnarvon to gascoyne junction all the way wasn't case when i was there prior in 2010 but in july this year was full bitumen and then another 12 kms east along carnarvon -mullewa road.

You could go long way around via kenndey ranges and end up just west of Cobra station.

Back in 2010 it took me most of a day to do this route ie cobra to carnarvon -I'd break it up myself as now know few nice spots just east of gascoyne to pull up for the night

Anymore than 2 spits of rain roads are closed to protect them and big fines if you do travel on them.

We were lucky in July had big front come in from n/w got to Murchison and being Sunday road house wasn't sure of road conditions.

Refueled and got going a couple in same survey group as us was caught in Murchison for 2 days as result of the rain and they were not far behind us

Don't rely upon a navigation aid out bush they aren't reliable enough for remote roads good old map and maybe ozieplorer is better option all roads are signposted no fuel at burringurrah opposed to some info provided on tourist maps if you heading further south of mt augustus then next fuel meekatharra
AnswerID: 604298

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 19:17

Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 19:17
forgot to mention plenty of cattle between gascoyne and carnarvon grey/whites so they tend to blend in with the road abit -despite me muttering loudly and back seat driver yelling driver still didn't slow down until within 20 metres of them

cobra to canarvon needed bit of clarification this route goes via gifford creek ullawarra road sort of a big swinging right hand curve if your heading east from gascoyne to cobra and passes kennedy ranges on left as you head towards cobra.

Probably not as scenic as cobra dairy creek road which has numerous floodways and pretty gibber plains of white and black stone in middle of nowhere
FollowupID: 874044

Sponsored Links