Lawn Hill NP & QLD Savannah Way track conditions

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:03
ThreadID: 133389 Views:3729 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

next week I'll be out in Mt Isa and heading to Lawn Hill NP and going on their off road tracks through to Hell's Gate and then into Normanton. As they have had a bunch of rain up that way recently (hence why I changed my Birdsville / SImpson plans) does anyone know what the track conditions are like? Are the water crossings passable? Obviously from Nomanton onwards to cairns it's all sealed so that's not an issue.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob K (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 11:25

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 11:25
Hi Philby,

Have a look at this link for road conditions in Queensland and for a look at where the rains have caused problems.

Queensland Road Conditions

Cheers

Rob K
AnswerID: 604145

Follow Up By: lindsay - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 20:53

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 20:53
Don't take too much notice of the Queensland road conditions web site, a bit over a month ago their site stated that the road from Boullia to Winton was open. We decided to go down from Mt Isa and then up to Winton, however when leaving Boullia a couple of K's out there was a sign that stated that the road was closed . Then we had to go back through Mt Isa to get to Winton. Several days later the site showed that the road was open when it was still closed. This site was also showing the road open. My advice is to ring a local.
Lindsay
FollowupID: 873860

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Sep 08, 2016 at 18:54

Thursday, Sep 08, 2016 at 18:54
We did your route a couple of weeks back before the rains, Savanha way was ok with the occasional bad spots. If the roads have dried out they should be ok.

Road into Adels Grove & Lawn Hill was bad but they were grading t he section toAdels Grove as we left. If staying there I would suggest the lower camp section at Adels Grove, it is very nice there.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 604221

Sponsored Links