Carnarvon Gorge

Submitted: Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 15:30
ThreadID: 133408 Views:4464 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give me some info on Carnarvon Gorge and surrounds. Proposed visiting in April next year after Anzac day at Grawon, but it seems that the park is only open on school holidays and the campsite just out of the park is expensive ($38.00 for an unpowered site). It also appears that the main attraction, being the Gorge, is a 24km walk.
We anticipate returning to WA via the Plenty and GCR so if there are any other areas in the vicinity suitable for camper trailers, please let me know.
Thanks in anticipation
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Red Dirt - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 16:10

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 16:10
One of our favourite areas as is all of the Sandstone belt through .Central Queensland.
Big Bend is at the end of the main track but you don't need to go all the way for some great locations.
http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/carnarvon-gorge/pdf/carnarvon-gorge-vg-bp044-lr.pdf
Outside the Park there are few station stays at a lower cost but then you have a far bit of driving. This is a good one if you want to see an operating cattle property as well.
http://arcadiavalleyescape.com/
Cheers
AnswerID: 604245

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:05

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:05
Expedition range, Isla gorge, salvatore rosa section....
Plenty of other options and all with their own special things going on. I've stayed at all of them at different times.
Staying at takarakka and walking the main gorge is the main geographical feature of the area and is dreamworld compared to a school fete in terms of what you get to see and do.
AnswerID: 604252

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:25

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:25
gbc, is very correct in what he advises. You don't have to walk the whole 24K as there are side tracks to some pretty awesome areas, then again I might be easy to please. We have done the long run a couple of times and still find many things that we missed. The season has been kind, so the area should be in good nick.

If you can do the long run, do it. There used to be a aboriginal guide that explained all but we haven't been there for a good few years. It is well worth doing and Takarakka was a good place to stay.

FollowupID: 873992

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:38

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:38
You don't have to go the entire length to see some fantastic scenery, but if you do, you will need to start early and finish late if you want to include the various side galleries. It's flat going on a good path, but probably gets towards 30km to you see most the various side galleries which are the highlight.
If you have come all the way from WA, I wouldn't let an extra $60 stop me from seeing the gorge again.
Complaining about the high camping fees is a bit like letting high fees stop you from seeing Uluru or Kings Canyon.
The last time I was actually in the Park (a decade ago) you could only small tent camp inside the Gorge section of the NP, anything bigger means Takaraka where you may be able to see some Platypus.
Nearest town (village of Rolleston) is approx. 0km to the north, there are some locations 20-40km south of the NP turn off you could probably free camp at along stock routes (not sure of the legalities).
Mark
AnswerID: 604254

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:39

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:39
sorry Rolleston is approx. 40-50km to the north
FollowupID: 873993

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 23:31

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 23:31
Rolleston is over 100 km from the gorge. See map.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 874125

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 12:33

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 12:33
Just a "country mile" difference Peter when you are driving there in a day from Tamworth!
FollowupID: 874131

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 20:59

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 20:59
If you have a look at this link Carnarvon Gorge Walks it will show the distances to certain areas of the gorge, you don't have to walk the 24 klms you mentioned
AnswerID: 604259

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 22:05

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 22:05
Hi Dingo Blue. Takarakka was the most expensive caravan park we have been to, but considering the cost of driving across the country it was worth it to see one of the highlights of our lap. We did not book, and jagged only two nights in a really good and big caravan site (which coincidentally had been the one recommended by two of our friends). Rather than move and try an squeeze into a smaller site in a more crowded area of the park, we chose to move on. That meant we could only fit in the two main walks - the climb to the top of the mouth of the gorge at Boolimba Bluff the first day while our legs were capable of the climb, and the second day to do the full main gorge walk - about 25 kilometres in all. This was followed by a couple of days in the Mount Moffatt section which was very different, and National Park campgrounds are available and the only option.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 604262

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 16:16

Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 16:16
as always...font of all knowledge
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874036

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 13:43

Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 13:43
Takarakka CP is quite well set up with decent sized sites. It is not cheap but is really the best option for walking in the main Gorge. Otherwise, as others have said, you face long commutes each day. One problem with the commuting is that it is really best to start the walks early in the day when birds are active and the gullies are truly lovely in the morning light and you don't get too hot walking into the late afternoon. Another thing is that there is another resort just a bit closer to the entrance to the Gorge (not a camping area though). When we were there last year we found that a wild life researcher based there was conducting fascinating night walks (he supplied torches and binoculars) for a reasonable cost. This was a highlight. At the time the National Parks Info Centre was closed for rebuilding but that is probably open now and guides there probably conduct similar tours. We loved the Gorge and stayed three days to complete most of the walks rather than doing one huge 25k day!
As has been said - it's up there with Uluru and you shouldn't miss it. Lynne
AnswerID: 604290

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 16:22

Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 16:22
Yes John and Lynne, the new and expanded visitor centre opened 7th July this year. New signs were added to features in the Gorge.Wards Canyon access is closed this week for upgrading.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874037

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 16:25

Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 16:25
Also facilities and walks are certainly open outside school holidays. We went to trouble to avoid the holidays as the place is always very popular and crowded then. Even outside school holidays it is a very good idea to book ahead to be sure of getting a site for the time you want. Lynne
FollowupID: 874038

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 16:35

Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 16:35
Booking even if only a day or two ahead is certainly wise. We were there outside of school holidays and were lucky to get a good site for two days prior to it being booked by someone. Had we been able to stay for a third night, we would have done so.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874039

Reply By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 18:37

Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 18:37
We stayed there five weeks ago. Yes it is a bit expensive but we had many other free nights elsewhere to balance the budget. Lake Nugga Nugga is a good spot with only national park $12.30 fee. It is about an hour away. We stayed there the night before and then only paid for 2 nights at the resort. We were able to do a few shorter walks that same day. We walked 15 kms on our main day walk and saw the best stuff. Don't miss it. The resort has a good map they give you.
AnswerID: 604308

Reply By: Member - Twiggy - Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 17:27

Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 17:27
Yes you are correct. NP only open in Qld school holidays at the Gorge and heavily booked. The commercial park is expensive and very nice. The entire walk of 24km is a loop with different features along the way to see. A few shorter walks closer to the campground.
It is worth looking at the other NPs in the area known as the Sandstone belt. We just did Mt Moffat. Great campsites, various walks all abt 6km. Bit if a drive in okay for camper trailers. Lake Nuga Nuga is another in the area. There are more NP in the area all different.
Peter and Julie Twigg

AnswerID: 604323

Reply By: dad1340 - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 17:41

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 17:41
G'day Dingo Blue,
Just a few practical editions for your Carnarvon info:
Firstly it get's cool to cold in the Gorge (not a lot of sun of course) with April usually bringing on warm days but cools off early in the pm.

Secondly, if there is a sprinkle of rain start packing. Carnarvon is like a bank; one way in; one way out. The creek in flood is spectacular but, if caught the wrong side of the crossings have plenty of tucker and water or a healthy Mastercard.

We stayed at the resort with a huge wild pig wandering around every arvo and night. It's another "Arm and a Leg" place but not a bad spot considering.

We walked the full monty in '92 but coming across from an amazing ANZAC show at Fraser Island last year the old motorcycle injuries slowed us down a bit. Still you can see some amazing places without going right to to 'Paintings' Well worth the effort regardless of distance - a fantastic place.

A must do on the Bucket List

Cheers

dad
AnswerID: 604345

Sponsored Links