How far is too far??

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 13:16
ThreadID: 133431 Views:4770 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to do a 4 week trip in September/October next year and have a rough plan at this stage.
Chinchilla - Quilpie - Innaminka - Lyndhurst - Maree - Coober Pedy - Laverton - Wiluna - Carnegie - Warburton - Docker River - Alice Springs - Boulia - Winton - Alpha - Rolleston - Wandoan - Chinchilla.

It is approx. 8100km is that unrealistic to do in 4 weeks, We are looking to do the Anne Beadell and Old Gunbarrel Highways. At this stage there is approx. 6 vehicles.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 14:05

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 14:05
Kev knowing how much you love to drive long distances this question has to be tackled not in terms of driving logistics as with you anything is possible I'm sure... but what you are going for... what is the purpose... and who is with you and what do they expect to see/do on this trip? How long does it take to put up/pull down your camp, do you have travelling companions that like to take their time in the morning - walking, looking for wildlife, reading and soaking up the campsite ambiance, taking time to chill. It has to be fun for everyone. Is there time to stop for impromptu photographs, hikes, resupplying, and cooking etc? Other's will comment I'm sure on the driving logistics but you know my viewpoint on these things.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 604339

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 20:10

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 20:10
Michelle,

I have allowed 22 days of driving, allowing 6 days of smelling the roses.

Travelling companions are well versed in what the expectations will be.

Have plenty of time to plan it so may cut some areas out if needed. Having done the Plenty already we can cruise this area as we explored it well last year.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874107

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 14:52

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 14:52
Kev I just did 10,919km in 3.5 weeks mind you I did Derby to Perth in 3 days on the way home so you can knock of nearly 2,400km there. Sure we had a couple of long days on days where it was driving between points eg the Tanami & Perth to Laverton, but we saw a stack of stuff and saw heaps on our trip to the Kimberley via the central deserts. If you're time poor like the most of us then do what you can and allow a couple of days to get out from your various bale-out places.
We did the Old Abandoned Gunbarrel Hwy and the Western End was in fantastic condition with hardly a ripple, the eastern end from around the turn off to Lake Christopher was a bit average but in no way horrible. A fantastic trip. Have you also considered doing the Sandy Blight Junction Rd as the scenery through there was fantastic.
Enjoy the trip and the planning.
Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 604340

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 20:12

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 20:12
Dunc,

Planning is still in its infancy so may divert to Sandy Bight Junction rd if needed.
Will still be a great trip even if we don't get as far as initially planned.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874108

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 22:10

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 22:10
Hi Sir Kev

Last year when we were all at the National Gathering at Ross River, the guys who had done the Sandy Blight reckoned it was a much better trip than Docker River.

We did the Kuta Tjuta (Olgas) to Warakurna stretch both ways via Docker River, unfortunately and it was awful. But if you've got people who haven't been to Uluru or Kuta Tjuta, you probably don't have much choice, unfortunately.

By the way, 8,100km in 22 days is 368km per day not 290, by my maths and every time I've been on the Anne Beadell it has hard to do anything like that many k's a day, because we kept finding really interesting things to stop and look at!

But sounds like a great trip if you can get through it all. If you should happen to find yourselves in Kalgoorlie, don't forget to look us up!

Cheers, Paul & Tracy
FollowupID: 874114

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 17:35

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 17:35
You can of course max out your driving in 4 weeks or opt for more 'quality' of experience, but in my view, its hard to have both....so its all about choosing the travel formula. Averaging 290km a day for 4 weeks on those indicated roads might leave you wondering 'what all that driving was about'...and as Michelle mentions, regimentation and discipline for all will be required just to do the camping and cover those distances (that is IF everyone in the group is happy to keep to the plan :-) .If you want to enjoy the atmosphere of the outback and appreciate the varied natural environment, it is way to far in my book. But...whatever you do, have a great time !
AnswerID: 604344

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 20:15

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 20:15
Darian,

As mentioned above still in the planning stage and will vary the trip as required. A lot can happen in 12 months so just starting to get research done and starting big and reducing down from there, at least gives me somewhere to start.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874109

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 17:54

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 17:54
I could easily do it on my own, but with 6 cars full of other people, the chances of grumbles about the pace could be annoying. If you know them well including their travel habits then that makes the decision easier.
AnswerID: 604346

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 20:20

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 20:20
Michael,

Alone I reckon I could crack it in 3 weeks LOL but have allowed 4 weeks and if needed will reduce places to see and plan accordingly.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874111

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 18:11

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 18:11
Hi Kev,
You are talking of averaging 290 k's a day. I left home (Melbourne) at the begining of June with 7 vehicles and will get home after 13 weeks down to 4 vehicles having done 21,000 k's an average of 230 k's a day. We went to many of the places you are planning to go and if I had my time over I would have taken a bit more time. I therefore conclude that your plan is very ambitious. If you could get to Innaminka in 2 days and get home from Alice in 5 days, you would give yourself half a chance.
A thing to consider if you do undertake this trip plan is there is no time allowed for the unexpected. Unfortunately vehicle issues, illness and the weather can cause delays and with this plan there are no short cuts home. This means that if Mr Murphy catches up with you, you will be late getting home.
I agree with Michelle. You will need to know your travelling companions very well and be sure this is the type of trip that they are expecting. You would be on the go most of the time and there would not be too much sniffing of the roses.
Having said all that, you have planned a great trip which takes in some great country. I cannot see how you can easily shorten the trip so as to save some time as it is basically an out and back trip. I would say that 6 weeks would be about the right time for such a trip but even if you can squeeze in another week it would be doable more comfortably.
What ever you decide to do, have a great time.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 604347

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 20:19

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 20:19
Chris,

Have a well travelled group coming with us and know from the outset that 4 weeks is the max time I have and if needed not all of the proposed route may be possible but as a concept I think it is a good starting point to convert into something worth locking in.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874110

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 21:01

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 21:01
Kev,
sounds like you have all bases reasonably covered, you should have a great trip.
Going through these areas this year has been awesome, everything has been so green and the wild flowers galore. Hopefully it will still be green next year.

Chris

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874112

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 23:08

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 23:08
Hi Kev again,

I agree the Sandy Blight is a great track and well worth the effort. The drive up Sir Frederick Range is awesome. If you do this you could bypass Alice Springs so saving some time.

The Anne Beadell has recently been graded from Mabel Creek to Voakes Hill, see
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/133311/Anne_Beadell_Hwy_grading_and_Emu_to_Maralinga_Rd_closed.aspx

This should make the trip on the ABH much quicker. The ABH on the SA side has been a shocker for years, particularly around Emu, I can't wait to do it again and see the difference.

Chris

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 604351

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 04:38

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 04:38
As they say with group travel, you're only as fast as your slowest vehicle. That's probably not going to be you by the sound of it, so pace won't be fully in your control.
AnswerID: 604352

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 06:25

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 06:25
Yes that is correct and it all comes down to a compromise and setting daily goals and being flexible to change stuff when on the road.
I like to change the lead vehicle often so that everyone can set the pace and usually after the 1st couple of days, everyone gets an idea of what everyone's pace is.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874127

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 09:08

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 09:08
8000+klms in 4 weeks! You ask is it too much. I reckon you know the answer already. If your that keen sell the car by an ex Dakar 4wd racer and do the trip in 2 weeks....

Seriously...why the rush? Stop and smell the roses. Its all about the journey..not getting to the finish line.
AnswerID: 604360

Reply By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 13:54

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 13:54
Kev : " i think " if your traveling each day on these types of roads you could do it easy 300 ks a day ....
as long as you don't get held up anywhere .

we just did 11,000 ks in 6 weeks stopping & camping at POI for few days
& not traveling much more than 80k p hr for most ... what was slow is the towns when in more populated area's .our biggest day was ~ 700ks ?

I bloke well traveled i know has just done the Anne Beadell july aug
and said its rough as & very slow.
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 604370

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 14:09

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 14:09
could be getting warm in September ??
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 874134

Reply By: sweetwill - Thursday, Sep 15, 2016 at 08:34

Thursday, Sep 15, 2016 at 08:34
Is that 6 vehicles set in concrete or do you want a couple of spares namely Gary and Billy.alias Larry and Curly.

AnswerID: 604406

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Thursday, Sep 15, 2016 at 11:31

Thursday, Sep 15, 2016 at 11:31
Curly

Always welcome having Larry and you join us.

It may end up as an EO trip yet LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874159

Sponsored Links