Strzelecki Track - experience

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 17, 2016 at 17:16
ThreadID: 133459 Views:3341 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks to those who provided me with the benefit of their experience on the track a month or 2 ago. I overplanned! It was not what I was expecting. It is a highway not a track! Smooth and wide enough for a plane to land on. But we had a great 5 weeks in our beautiful country.

Biggest disappointment was the lack of respect our fellow travellers have for the country. Toss your rubbish out the window, camp in a free camp and leave your rubbish behind. Defecate and don't dig a hole! And it isn't young people! It is we baby-boomers who should have respect for our country and our fellow travellers who come after we leave.

Back Expand Un-Read 12 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Young Nomads - Thursday, Sep 22, 2016 at 20:54

Thursday, Sep 22, 2016 at 20:54
I agree..the Strz is a freeway...people don't slow down or be considerate to the truckies either.
The level of toilet rubbish attached to every rock, bush, tree and fence is disgusting..to think..99% of it is left by women (of which I am one btw)..I am appalled ..It's everywhere and nothing will change unfortunately :(

AnswerID: 604571

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Sep 23, 2016 at 14:36

Friday, Sep 23, 2016 at 14:36
Good to hear the track gave you no grief Greg.
It always depends when you catch it though, sometimes you're lucky and get it soon after grading (with all the recent rains etc, maybe this happened in your case), or sometimes it hasn't been touched for a long while, trucks (especially) have cut it up bad, big bulldust patches, lots of sharp stones, and heaps or corros, etc.

Re toiletry habits of some people, yeah it's a problem in that country, so barren and very little in the way of 'cover'.
I suppose these people doing their business without digging a hole either can't be bothered digging in the hard ground, or maybe are too embarrassed to take the time to do this, just get it done and out of there.
Who knows, all we can do is the right thing and hope others catch on.
Not sure what those same people think when they camp somewhere and find this issue all around them.
AnswerID: 604591

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Sep 23, 2016 at 14:53

Friday, Sep 23, 2016 at 14:53
There are a number of travellers on the Strzelecki Track who are not tourists but are workers on the oil fields. Santos employees travel by air but many contractors drive vehicles and there are also transport drivers. They may have no love or respect of the Bush and probably carry no shovels.
Anyway, it seems a good idea to blame them for despoiling the countryside! lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 604592

Sponsored Links