Boat Roller Kit - for existing Roof Rack

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 18, 2016 at 22:05
ThreadID: 133463 Views:7950 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I would very much appreciate any advice on where I can purchase a Boat (3.8m tinny) Roller Kit that can be fitted/removed for an existing ARB Roof Rack.

I've seen a couple of different systems (Rhino etc), though I want to also be able to carry some light gear on the roof rack under the tinny when it's up there.

It doesn't need to be fancy, as it won't get used that often, though it needs to be sturdy for the corrugations

Thanks in advance and regards,

Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Sep 19, 2016 at 07:43

Monday, Sep 19, 2016 at 07:43
Hi Greg,

I have a Rhino Rack brand roller attached to my rear roof rack.
Wasn't all that expensive and also is a great help to assist in mounting my basket when I wish to use it. The basket can be mounted on the rear and middle racks and then the boat straddles the basket between the rear and front racks.

This was a relatively cheap and practical solution for my needs.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 604505

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:35

Monday, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:35
I have a half width version for the kayaks. The good (or bad) thing about the rhino ones is they sit slightly lower than the rack so the roller isn't load bearing after the boat is loaded. This is great for longevity but makes it slightly more difficult to remove than a permanently engaged roller. I would recommend them.
FollowupID: 874269

Follow Up By: Member - Greg and Julie (UK) - Friday, Oct 07, 2016 at 10:13

Friday, Oct 07, 2016 at 10:13
Hi Bill,

I've had a real good look around and have decided to go with your solution....looks great. I'll be looking forward to my next trip to try it out......

Thanks again and cheers mate,

Greg
FollowupID: 874741

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Oct 07, 2016 at 11:47

Friday, Oct 07, 2016 at 11:47
Your welcome Greg!

Have just returned from a trip and was glad to have the roof basket underneath the boat. (The boat straddles the basket)
This enabled me to store items such as fuel tank, anchor and rope and a utility toolbox used for the tinnie.
Also allows easy mounting of the basket too. Just place the front end on the roller and lift and push and the basket is in place.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 874745

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:21

Monday, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:21
Greg,

My roof rack and the roller system I use for my tinnie is home made but I bought all the rollers and the shafts they run on from our local BCF store but the local boat shop where I bought the boat and motor also has a selection.
I didn't look to see if they have a kit that would be suitable for an existing commercially available rack but maybe worth a call.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 604508

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Monday, Sep 19, 2016 at 16:59

Monday, Sep 19, 2016 at 16:59
G`day Greg,

A cheaper, and in my opinion better option, is a piece of poly pipe of suitable size and length fitted to the front and rear cross members of the pack rack.
The boat will "slide" easier than on rollers and the pipe can stay fitted permanently.
Have a look at my Blog " Scrubby`s Boat Loader ".

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 604513

Reply By: Member - Greg and Julie (UK) - Tuesday, Sep 20, 2016 at 06:48

Tuesday, Sep 20, 2016 at 06:48
Hi All,

Many thanks for your help and ideas; much appreciated.

Warmest regards,

Greg
AnswerID: 604524

Sponsored Links