Ad Suppression

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 11:39
ThreadID: 133710 Views:3563 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Maybe just my system, but used to be able too suppress advertising materials from appearing here on Exploroz, Is it still possible?
I appreciate advertising is revenue, but for them appearing in forum between topics is a little too much for me I'm afraid.

Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 12:05

Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 12:05
Hi Flighty, I have the same problem with adds appearing in the forum between threads. Only noticed yesterday.
I have also looked for the button to suppress adds & like you can no longer find it.
Cheers
AnswerID: 605642

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 12:39

Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 12:39
Hi

You can get "add ons" for some web browser that block adds to varying degrees. Addblock plus works for Mozilla Firefox. Don't know about other browsers.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 605644

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 17:23

Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 17:23
Yep works perfectly on Firefox does on Chrome as well
FollowupID: 875403

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 17:24

Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 17:24
Thanks Greg.

It works fine on Firefox, but in the Chrome version it also removes the updated icon (speech bubble) or the no updates/dropdown arrow to the left of each reply.

I'm in two minds about this. A worthy site like this needs the advertising revenue. On the other hand the ads are very annoying, especially the new ones mid thread.

cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 875405

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 17:44

Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 17:44
Yes Frank I see where you are coming from...

I have not had addblock on for ages until this thread made me check to see if it was still around and if it worked....

I suppose the questions are

How does exploroz get paid for adds? I assume they get paid for showing the adds and also if you click on them? I very rarely click on an add - maybe once every couple of months...if that

So in my case, does simply blocking the adds mean that exploroz does not get paid for showing them ? i.e. is the fact that I am blocking adds get recorded somehow?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 875406

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 07:29

Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 07:29
Just be aware that running adblock will sometimes cause problems elsewhere.
I have a digital subscription to our newspaper and experienced a problem trying to access the digital edition of the newspaper.
After some fault analysis, I found access worked OK when adblock was disabled and now don't use adblock. I just put up with all the advertisement crap.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 875414

Follow Up By: Gramps - Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 09:06

Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 09:06
Adblock Plus on Chrome works fine for me. Still get speech bubbles and dropdown arrows etc but NO ADS - a damn good thing :)
Regards
FollowupID: 875415

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 12:07

Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 12:07
Gramps,

Well posted mate.
I added Adblock Plus to my Addons for Firefox and it is working.
I can have Adblock Plus enabled and still access the Digital edition of the Advertiser.

Adblock Plus must be a superior product to Adblock.

Bill

FollowupID: 875417

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 17:06

Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 17:06
To give a brief answer on the question of how ad blockers affect our revenue - yes it makes a massive impact. Yes there is a fee for ad impressions, and a fee for ad clicks. We get a bit more for clicks and obviously more again if that click converts you to take a desired action by the advertiser. If you allow cookies, then Google Adwords will learn your interests and show you ads for sites you've previously visited (remarketing ads) and topics and themes that fit your demographic and location depending on what's in the ad-pool. What ads you see is not controlled by us but by your browsing history. Ads are less annoying when they are relevant so its worth working with it, rather than against it. When people block ads, you are literally robbing that business. We can't force you not to use ad blockers but when you do, you are definitely impacting on our business bottom line. So if you can tolerate letting the ads through, you are allowing funds to flow through to us, without you having to pay anything.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 875426

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 19:09

Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 19:09
Guys glad you noticed - BUT very interesting is that these are exactly the same ads we had in the Header and Footer before we just moved them into the thread listing. If you open any other site area like blogs or articles you will see the same original header and footer ads we always had in the forum. These are the ones we moved.

Members Ad suppression is always on for any Island ads (we have a large one of these if you are not a member).

I would love to have no ads but to be honest - no ad revenue no real business I am afraid. I cannot stop you from suppressing them but unless we generate revenue in this very tight economy then we will cease to operate. It is getting very very hard already and the operating costs are not reducing as fast as the revenue is drying up.

At the end of the day we welcome everyone to the site, hope you like it and gain something from it, if you want to suppress our revenue options, not buy from the shop, not become a member etc these are all up to you and we do not think better or worse for it, we just hope that we all contribute.

David

Happy to take any feedback on board as always on this or any other aspect or element of the site.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 605650

Follow Up By: D-MaxerWA - Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 20:50

Thursday, Nov 03, 2016 at 20:50
Don't mind them at all. Occasionally click on them and some are worthwhile looking at.
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 875410

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 17:37

Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 17:37
Michelle and David has given valid input as far as ExplorOz ownership is concerned and I appreciate where they are coming from.

I use an ad blocker as a general guard against unwanted distractions on any web site I access, not specifically ExplorOz.

When I visit a URL, I do so for a specific purpose and don't want interactive distractions to take me away from the purpose of my visit.
Bill

AnswerID: 605675

Sponsored Links