GSL Brake Controllers

Submitted: Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 18:38
ThreadID: 133731 Views:7689 Replies:4 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone

Further query following great response yesterday re canopies!
Auto-electrician has suggested using a GSL Remote Micro-Controlled Electronic Brake Controller. Looked them up on the web and seem OK and like the idea of just the small knob controller with main unit tucked away but no idea of durability or any other issues.
Any feedback from users?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 21:34

Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 21:34
Redarc tow pro elite has the same and has an excellent reputation. I recently fitted one and find it great.
AnswerID: 605731

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 11:12

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 11:12
Redarc Tow Pro is an advanced proportional controller.
GSL is an old type time based unit.

Only similarity is the small dial on the dash.
FollowupID: 875491

Follow Up By: Gundarooster - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 14:46

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 14:46
Hi There,
I fitted a Redarc Tow Pro and it's fantastic, just been to Perth and back towing a 3T van and it worked a treat. Easy to adjust, override works well and it just works without hassle.
Gazza
FollowupID: 875499

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 23:02

Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 23:02
On reading their installation instructions I wouldnt touch one.
It appears to be the equivilent of the old model Redarc that you dial up how much braking force you want and thats what you get EVERY TIME. so set it for a dry road and it rains and your brakes will lock up..
OLD technology. As said above buy a Tow Pro which has only the small button or even a Tekonsha P3 or a cheaper but virtually the same Prodigy.
Then you will have proportional braking as the unit responds to the deceleration force and applies the brakes "in proportion" to how hard you are stopping.
You can also increase the start point for the braking by increasing the boost in stages. Has a manual lever for emergency stops but I have found in that situation I would need a third hand to work it.

You might like to read this thread from long ago but the same applies except now Redarc have the TOWPRO which works the same as the Tekonsha Prodigy and P3's

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/70148/GSL_brake_controller.aspx
AnswerID: 605733

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 07:32

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 07:32
Wot Tom said.

I had a redarc proportional and it was crap. I then moved to a Tekonsha whish was great and now moved to the Redarc Tow Pro.

GSL make some good stuff but a P3 or Tow pro would be my pick. The Tow pro has the advantages that it is concealed.and you can go back to proportianal mode for off road work.
FollowupID: 875479

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 08:05

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 08:05
The ONLY Redarc proportional controller is the Tow Pro The earlier EBRH model were all time set based and were not in any way the same type as the new one
This thead with a very good post from Ozjohn (a respected poster of all things vanning) Describes the differences

.Description of Controllers
FollowupID: 875480

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 08:35

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 08:35
Oops thanks for that Tom. I had a brain fade.

Where I say proportional above I meant time based.

Apologies to any readers.
FollowupID: 875482

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 09:30

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 09:30
Tom H is spot on with the GSL there is NO proportional braking.....
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 875486

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 10:04

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 10:04
Personally I use the TEKONSHA PRIMUS IQ at $79.

I have had this unit in the last three vehicles and it works just as well as the more expensive units but at a much cheaper price.

If it is not proportional it is not worth fitting - by proportional I mean, the harder you brake, the harder it breaks.

These units are that cheap, when I upgrade my vehicle, I leave the old one in place and just get a new one installed for peace of mind.
FollowupID: 875489

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 11:10

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 11:10
Hopefully Kazza you mean the harder you brake the harder it BRAKES. Wouldnt be a lot of good if it was to break.
LOL

Whilst they are cheap and give basics the dearer ones are better especially for larger rigs
FollowupID: 875490

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 17:36

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 17:36
For those thinking of fitting a synchroniser or non proportional controller look at the following that explains the difference between them and the proportional controllers. Most of the brake controller manufacturers started by producing synchroniser models but now only manufacture proportional models.
these days only a fool would install a synchroniser model.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 605763

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 08:22

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 08:22
Just a word of caution.

The Redarc TowPro Controller comes in two models.
TowPro Classic is a non-proportional controller.
TowPro Elite is a dual proportional/user controlled model.

Personally, I have found no problem in practice with my older model Recarc non-proportional controller, dry, wet, or offroad conditions.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 605803

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:40

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:40
Correct the Classic is the old EBRH model in new clothes

This is the good one

Tow pro ELITE
FollowupID: 875560

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 10:59

Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 10:59
I have a Tow Pro (not Elite).

It IS proportional. It has two modes - proportional and adjustable fixed.

As far as I am aware, the main difference between the Tow Pro and the Elite model is that the Elite auto calibrates, whereas with the Tow Pro you have to do a short calibration routine, which it then remembers. (Ie, you don't have to calibrate it every time you hook up your van - unless you change vans or trailers)

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 875598

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 12:55

Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 12:55
According to the instruction manual for the Classic it says that the unit will apply the brakes in accordance of what you have dialed up on the button and thats what you get ALL THE TIME.\
Quote "Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller is simple to install and operate and offers a single (user controlled) mode of braking at the turn of a dial with braking force LED indication."
It also says if you want to lighten the braking force you have to turn the dial back as here
"Adjusting the control knob in user-controlled mode will adjust the braking force from minimal (0) to maximum (10)."
Nowhere does it mention Proportional braking as it does in the Elite instructions
That is NOT proportional braking. That is time based same as the old model.
Proportional is when you initially set the unit up by taking the rig out and altering the braking force at about 40kph until it suits and then it is set for all conditions. So if you are just coasting to a stop the van brakes will only come on lightly.
If a panic stop they will go close to locking up.

I have just rung Redarc to get the truth. The answer is that the Classic is NOT a proportional controller and the ELITE is. The tech agreed the Classic is an updated EBRH and has a progressive mode which is an improvement but is in no way proportional. End of story
FollowupID: 875603

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 14:12

Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 14:12
I don't think I mentioned "Classic".

As I said, I have a Tow Pro and it is proportional and it's not an Elite.

Page 8 of the manual

"3.1.1 Automatic Mode (Blue LED)
If the status indication LED on the control knob is glowing BLUE, the Tow-Pro is currently in Automatic Mode. When operating in Automatic Mode, the Tow-Pro will apply the trailer brakes at a level proportional to the vehicle braking level. Simply put, the harder you brake, the harder the trailer will brake.

The braking level can be adjusted to suit varying trailer loads ...." etc

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 875607

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 16:29

Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 16:29
How old is it as they only list the Classic and the Elite on their website.
I was under the impression that earlier there was on one "pro" and it was as you say but when I rang them they said there was only the two

Here it is from 2014 the "Original" tow pro

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/news/2014/no-stopping-redarc-tow-pro-47290
FollowupID: 875610

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 21:56

Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 21:56
I bought it in March 2015.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 875626

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 at 17:01

Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 at 17:01
Tom said "How old is it as they only list the Classic and the Elite on their website."

Go back and look at their web site. They have two ranges - the Tow-Pro Range and the User-Controlled range. There are two Tow-Pro models, the Elite and Classic, the difference between the two is the older classic needs a set-up procedure before use.

The User Controlled range is the synchroniser/timer type controllers. It includes the EBRH which has no connection with the Tow-Pro Classic.

Also, how about you learn to insert links properly.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 875643

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 at 18:49

Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 at 18:49
Oh dear sorry a copy and open link works
Anyway It seems the ORIGINAL Towpro that Frank has was just called that as per his photo of the manual
My linkOriginal Tow Pro 2014
They must have updated the range to the Classic and the Elite later.
I remember when they came out they were just called Towpro, nothing else, no different models. The tech at Redarc told me that the Classic is an update of the EBRH so I guess he knows what he is talking about. Also they both require setting up but in different ways
From their website
The REDARC Tow-Pro™ Elite Electric Brake Controller offers two types of braking, automatic and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
The REDARC Tow-Pro™ Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single, user-controlled, mode of trailer braking.
The Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller is the next generation Electric Brake Remote Head (EBRH), now with the extra performance and reliability of the Tow-Pro platform. It incorporates quality and performance improvements whilst retaining the EBRH look and feel.
Suitable for 12 volt systems, Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller is simple to install and operate and offers a single (user controlled) mode of braking at the turn of a dial with braking force LED indication.
So who is right. To me what I said is whats written above and what I was told by Redarc. A review of the original Towpro which like Franks has a different sticker on the case Reply 15 is the one to read
review
Good video of how it works
The models of the Tow Pro are/were Original EBRH-ACC Elite EBRH-ACCV2 . Classic EBRH-V2
FollowupID: 875654

Sponsored Links