2nd Hand Vehicles with High Tow Hitch

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 19:54
ThreadID: 133741 Views:3031 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Looking to buy a tug for an offroad (ie. high) campertrailer.

To get trailer level, I can raise the tug, use an adjustable hitch etc.
But would prefer to get most of the way there without resorting to these techniques.

I also realise that it depends to some extent on the towbar, so probably need to consider the combo of van + towbar.

Is there a list anywhere of tow hitch heights for different vans, so I can choose one that's already decently high?

Something with 7 seats. Obviously LC200 fits the bill. What else?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice!

Cheers,
Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bobjl - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 21:12

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 21:12
I am not commenting about the type of vehicle that may suit your requirements.
Rather, I felt you may not have considered other options that will enable you to maintain a level plane with the high draw bar/coupling.
Many tow hitches are available in several depths and will have lots of adjustment [holes] to enable going up or down 100-150 mm. That would normally accomodate many trailers.
The hitch I use on my 200 series is extra deep and needs to be as my Cruiser has been raised because of my GVM upgrade. It is also possible in some cases to change the height of the actual coupling on the trailer draw bar by lowering or raising it, that does require a bit of straightforward cutting and welding but would be a low cost.
Good luck with your purchase.
Bob
AnswerID: 605788

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Monday, Nov 14, 2016 at 21:15

Monday, Nov 14, 2016 at 21:15
Hey Bob, a while back I was seeking advice along the same lines as the O.P. One of my thoughts was along the lines of replacing the coupling on the trailer with a lower profile jobbie. I received a interesting reaction to say the least, along the lines that I would a danger to society but now Trump has come along I guess those respondents are busy elsewhere.

So far you have got away with suggesting a reasonable solution scot free. However I reckon to do it properly it would not be all that cheap. Depends on what trailer and what vehicle the O.P has at present and weighing it all up.
FollowupID: 875692

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 06:47

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 06:47
Sounds like you're basing the purchase of a vehicle based on a relatively cheap accessory. Odd idea that.
I have 3 hitch tongues of different heights to cover most heights between two lifted tugs.
The tongues can also be inverted giving me another 3 options.
Why don't you find a tug that suits you and what you want to do with it and then buy the hitch gear to suit the tug and caravan combo?
AnswerID: 605797

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 07:57

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 07:57
Have a look at something like this.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 875552

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 07:54

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 07:54
The best solution is to work out how much you need to lift the hitch so that the drawbar is close to level as possible, then buy a hitch to suit.
I used to use an adjustable tow hitch (Hayman Reece) but over time noticed a slight downward bend to it. I then determined that it was rated lower than what I needed.
A fixed Hayman Reece hitch rated at 3.5t and with reinforcing underneath cured my problem. The offset is 5 inches.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 605801

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 12:13

Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 12:13
Just a couple of things to consider.

1/ the height of a towing coupling is mandated in the ADRs and referenced in legeslation ... ADR 62/00

5.2.3.2. For MA and MB group vehicles fitted with a 50 mm ‘Ball Coupling’ the
height to centre of the ball determined in the laden condition must be
between 350 and 420 mm.

So pretty much every factory vehicle and trailer sold new should be within that fairly narrow range.

IF however you want higher position for you reciever, for a variety of reasons such as non towing departure angles.

some vehicles that come in both 2wd and 4wd versions have different towbars.

So on the 99 to 05 range hiluxes, the rear chassis attachment points are identical on 2wd and 4wd versions ....... the 2wd towbar will fit the 4wd, this will put your reciever and bar something like 200mm higher ...... a matter that you will have to correct with the hitch bar you insert in the reciever.

cheers
AnswerID: 605872

Reply By: Splutter - Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 13:51

Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 13:51
Thanks, Bantam. That's helpful!

Problem I've found in the past is that despite the regs, the tow ball can easily be lower than 350mm, but the trailer is MUCH higher.

If the difference between the two is more than about 200mm, an adjustable hitch doesn't help.

I think I'll buy a Pajero. They don't seem to suffer from low towball. Will avoid alot of grief.

Bob.

AnswerID: 605873

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 16:11

Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 16:11
But if you put a high hitch like the one pictured on a Pajero you wont be able to open the taildoor.

Thats why they sell a riser for the spare, To stop it hitting on a normal height handle on the hitch
FollowupID: 875675

Sponsored Links