CSR

Submitted: Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 20:22
ThreadID: 133984 Views:5758 Replies:4 FollowUps:30
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone planning a trip up or preferably down the CSR around June /July 17. I need some travelling companions.
Trawe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 20:41

Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 20:41
Been thinking about a trip down the Canning next year, Trawe.

However, due to an important, and not to be missed Simpson trip in June, as well as another Simpson/Madigan jaunt in July, we mightn't get to CSR till August.

Hope you get some better replies,

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 606938

Follow Up By: Trawe - Saturday, Dec 24, 2016 at 10:06

Saturday, Dec 24, 2016 at 10:06
Thanks Bob
Can you give some more info on your plans re Simpson and Madigans. Tried to do that in September but was stopped by the rain.
trawe
FollowupID: 876650

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Dec 24, 2016 at 19:35

Saturday, Dec 24, 2016 at 19:35
G'day Trawe,

Plan at moment is leave Birdsville early July(Big Red Bash is on then) travel on QAA, then down K1 Line to Rig Road, thence to Dalhousie and Mt Dare. Could call in at Poeppell's Corner if some haven't been there.

Fuel up at Mt Dare and across Madigan, including camps 17-22. All dependent on weather of course Trawe, but July might(???) be dry this year? We all had a sit down meal at Mt Dare this year, in June, and it was good to sit around a table and get to know our fellow travellers some more, even though we'd been crossing the Simpson together for almost a week.

Hope to have another 2 couples as well, if I can convince them?

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876658

Follow Up By: Triton man - Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 15:09

Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 15:09
Sounds like fun Bob,

Sounds like you live the good life to me with diesel running through your veins. I have been rained out twice on the K1 and Warburton Track at the crossing end on the BDV track. Will have to do the Simmo again I guess to get this part in. I CAN recommend the upper part aka The Hay River Track.

Do me a favour Bob, we showered at Purni Bore with ice-melt water where I thought body parts were going to fall off. On relaying the story to a friend, they mentioned that it takes 20 minutes for the water to get up to the shower head. I thought this not to be true as there is a header storage tank there. Can you advise or do other readers know about this ????
FollowupID: 876764

Follow Up By: Trawe - Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 19:49

Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 19:49
Hello Bob Y
Think I might do the Simpson well before the Big Bash weekend. The last time we did it was just after the races unbeknown to us and it was mad constantly getting off the track to allow vehicles past, nearly got mown down by an idiot in a black Jeep coming from the east. But interested in the CSR in August. Can you keep in contact please?
If Triton man is reading this. Yes wait twenty minutes and the water is hot but don't stay long because it gets very hot. It will scald.
trawe
FollowupID: 876802

Follow Up By: Triton man - Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 22:39

Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 22:39
Thanks Trawe,

Scolding or freezing eh !! no happy medium. Thanks for that. Will report back re CSR if all my plans fall into place. Good luck with yours in August.

On our last Simpson trip, we planned it to arrive exactly half way between the Big Red Bash and the Birdsville races, we prefer solitude to crowds. I'm with you Trawe

Triton man
FollowupID: 876804

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 21:07

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 21:07
Triton Man,

Thanks comments!

Maybe next year for the entire Hay River job? Met 3 blokes in 2 Patrols down near the Glove this year, travelling north. Said they wanted to be in the Alice by early next day! It was close to Finke Race time.........wonder how they got on?

Can't help you with the Purnie shower. We only stopped there for maybe 30 minutes, though I did use the OTHER amenities. Ended up having an after dark swim at Dalhousie. Delightful...........until we got out, to a force 5 gale.

Trawe,

Think we'll be giving the Bash a miss too, this year. Feel there's a possibility it could size itself out of existence, or at least end up with a change of venue, perhaps?

Probably plan to arrive Birdsville a day or three after the mobs have departed. The planned route should be a bit quieter than the hordes that frequent the French Line. We'll see.........

Good luck with your plans. You should join this site, then I could MM you later on? :-))

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876819

Follow Up By: Trawe - Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 00:25

Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 00:25
Thanks Bob Y. That being the case I would be very interested in tagging along. Are you travelling east west or west east? I would like to visit Old Andado a big swamp of mud about 80 ks north of Andado station stopped me in September.
Regards
trawe
FollowupID: 876829

Follow Up By: Triton man - Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 09:25

Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 09:25
Hi Bob Y & Trawe,

Happy New Year, Trawe confirmed if you wait at Purni Bore, you WILL get hot water, it will be really hot in 20 minutes. Yes, Dalhousie is great but to do the full job, you need soap - that's where Purni Bore is great.

I am with you blokes, after solitude in the desert and bush camping, we spent our last night one sand dune back from Big Red (on the western side) then next day we played around at Big Red and watched some great attempts before moving into Birdsville. First stop was the rubbish dump to off -load about a weeks rubbish, then the bakery for a curried camel pie and cappuchino, then the Caravan park and paid for our showers and coin laundry for washing, fuel up, a beer at the pub and then headed out of town towards Cadelga Ruins. This is the first and only time we have not over-nighted in BDV. We just were not up to crowds (if you call Birdsville busy).

I would never go to the Races or the Big Red Bash, it is just not Birdsville.
FollowupID: 876833

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 17:52

Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 17:52
G'day Trawe,

Spoke to one of my intended travellers the other day, and he's good for the first week of July, après The Bash. His wife isn't coming, and then my bride said she might have to work too, so the ladies are becoming scarce. Will be able to travel much lighter if that's the case!

Doing east-west across the Simpson, then west-east over the Madigan. Think I remember the swamp that stopped you Trawe. It was damp in places but otherwise covered in Thomson River Lucerne, or Verbine. Looked glorious, and the resident bovines would have been very content.

Old Andado........a step back in time! You almost expect Molly to walk through the door, to knock up a batch of scones.

Better give me some contact details for later reports,

Triton Man,

Did the return to Birdsville a little different to you, after 12 days in the desert. Hit the wash down bay, after getting pies. Once worst of the mud was off, back to 'van park, booked in, set up the camp & had the usual long Birdsville shower. Then, mid arvo, strolled over to the bakery where we bought half dozen donuts and a quandong tart. On the return walk, 4 of the donuts had gone before we'd walked 100 metres!

Dinner at the Pub that night with our companions, and into bed in a hurry, it was cold 'n windy. Up early, packed camp in the dark, and arrived at bakery for hot drinks and toasties. Pies might be their forte, but the toasties were highly disappointing, lacking fill and flavour. Stopped at the Cuttaburra for smoko and the instant coffee and remains of the donuts and quandong tart made up for our ordinary brekkie.

Well! That's a bit long winded, eh?

Regards to you both,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877033

Follow Up By: Trawe - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 15:56

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 15:56
Thanks Bob Y
Would you be happy to send your email to me @ 4anneil@gmail.com?
trawe
FollowupID: 877058

Follow Up By: Triton man - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 16:22

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 16:22
Hi Bob Y and TRAWE,

Missed the wash Bay Bob, WTF is it. Have found the Council ones in Thargobloodymindah and Barcaldine and a few others but normally into Birdsville dusty not muddy like you must have been.

Just came back to this site to read some dates etc. and my heart missed a beat when I saw Madigan Line from West to East, got myself thinking, why don't I do the Canning Stock Route from South to North as planned, slide on down the Tanami Track to the Alice then Old Andado to meet up with you two outlaws. Looks like the dates will still be too late for me and I may save it up for another day.

Not sure about quandong tarts Bob, what are ya smokin'?. Reckon the beef and burgundy is my next fav. after camel. Trawe, are you done with suring up a tagalong buddy, was figuring on making an enquiry in mid February but did not want to suck out any buddies you may have met on this thread. My departure is 16 weeks from Wednesday but who is counting, just finished making my spare wheel (2nd) mount for the Triton ute. Lookin' good.

Triton Man
FollowupID: 877059

Follow Up By: Trawe - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 22:14

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 22:14
Hello Triton man
Short answer no. With what I have to do down south I won't know until after Easter into May.
Good hunting. With the rain that has just been through it should be a good trip for you.
Regards
trawe
FollowupID: 877069

Follow Up By: Triton man - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 22:21

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 22:21
Hi Trawe,

I see they got even more rain today as well, wow, it will be a picture of green and flowers. Thanks for early answer, I will post a message on Exploroz in mid Feb for a travel buddy. All the best to you, Bob Y and anyone out in the wilderness reading this.

Triton Man
FollowupID: 877071

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 12:09

Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 12:09
Am sending you an email Trawe, with a few "set in cement" dates. My mate will have to book some leave. I'm flexible............a bit too flexible, unfortunately!

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877615

Follow Up By: Triton man - Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 12:24

Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 12:24
Hi Bob Y,

Hot enough for you, I am cooking my a$$ off here in Cairns. I am still set for a May 3 departure from Cairns to Wiluna, still don't have a travel buddy as yet. Will advertise mid Feb, don't want to pinch any buddies TRAWE has sorted out.

I am all planned ready to go, just waiting on cooler weather to arrive. Permits and truck service is all I have to do. Waiting, waiting and waiting.......

Triton man

FollowupID: 877616

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 19:40

Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 19:40
Triton Man,

Thanks follow-up. By May there's sure to be plenty travelling, if you don't pick up a companion by then.

Yeah, heard it's been a bit hot in Cairns. Hasn't been too cool SW of there either!

Hope your prep is going well,

Cya,
Bob.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877647

Reply By: Member - abqaiq - Saturday, Dec 24, 2016 at 07:41

Saturday, Dec 24, 2016 at 07:41
We are interested; please advise on concept/plan and contact us..
AnswerID: 606945

Follow Up By: Trawe - Saturday, Dec 24, 2016 at 10:21

Saturday, Dec 24, 2016 at 10:21
Nothing set yet. Thinking slow trip south to Adelaide and west possibly following old trans line to Perth decide then whether to head up the CSR from Wiluna or up windy corner hwy tallawanta track to Broome, One Arm Point visit friends on Noonkanbah station, maybe the Gibb to Bililuna and down the CSR. Or west from Cairns via Lawn Hill to Katherine etc. Leaving Qld late May early June but no firm date.
Talk some more.
trawe
FollowupID: 876651

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 17:31

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 17:31
Hi Trawe
Am interested yes, if you want to pm me
Last trip was 2011 and had a great trip yes, and like the opportunity again.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 876676

Follow Up By: Trawe - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 23:07

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 23:07
Hello Flighty
Have you read previous threads esp the one to Abqaiq? This approximates where we are with thinking at this time. As you have done the trip I would very much appreciate your experiences and responses. I have a v8 cruiser with slideon carries 180 litres of fuel and my research has shown that this will not be enough for the CSR and certainly not enough for some side trips. The other query for which I have received conflicting responses is south to north or north south? I am an experienced bush driver but always open to suggestions from more experienced people.
Please keep in contact
Regards
trawe
FollowupID: 876689

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:50

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:50
Hi Trawe
pkfli5@bigpond .com
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 876740

Follow Up By: Triton man - Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 15:28

Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 15:28
Hello now to Flighty and abqaiq, great to see some replies in there. Detail to date was given to Trawe, I am all planned and prepared, just waiting for the weather to cool down.

My BIG preference is South to North as most U tube and treks do it this way and makes fuel management much more manageable. I have planned to do the whole trip on 275 litres total with options at Kunawaritji and then at Billiluna if need be.

Earliest possible departure Cairns is Wednesday 3rd May with a planned Wiluna arrival on Thursday 11th. May. This can be pushed out further to mutually suit. Solo traveller in one vehicle self sufficient in everything except a buddy or two. Let's keep in touch and happy to swap e- mail addresses. Contact first via this medium.

Triton man
FollowupID: 876766

Reply By: Triton man - Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 14:58

Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 14:58
Hi Trawe,

Yes, have planned out a trip but travelling South (Wiluna) to North (Halls Creek). This is because of fuel planning with better options heading North. I live in Cairns and tentative departure date is May 3rd from Cairns and arriving Wiluna on or about Thursday 11th May via Isa Plenty Highway, Alice, Yulara, GCR to Docker River etc. to Laverton, Wiluna.

Plan to take whatever it takes to do the CSR to enjoy and survive to return to Cairns via The Savannah Way. I will be a solo traveller in one vehicle, a Dual cab ML Triton. Will be self sufficient in fuel, food, water, recovery gear as well as carrying a Sat. phone.

Can be a little flexible in timing but not as late as July. Can talk more later on your thoughts. Have also contacted a 4WD Club in WA looking for member interest. Have seen your name on earlier topics on this website. I do have some remote experience and 4WD and looking for a like minded buddy for safety and companionship along the way.

Triton man
AnswerID: 607080

Reply By: Gramps - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 20:29

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 20:29
Just a little too early for me Trawe. I'm looking at doing the CSR in August 17 and looking for company as well. Have'nt decided which direction yet.

Regards
AnswerID: 607369

Follow Up By: Trawe - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 22:00

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 22:00
Hello Gramps
Where are you?
I am not tied to a date so August could suit me. If you have been following earlier threads my problem remains fuel capacity. Bottom line for me would be another vehicle that could carry two jerries for me with appropriate compensation for same.
Regards
trawe
FollowupID: 877068

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 23:19

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 23:19
Trawe,

I'm west of Sydney at foot of the mountains.

I also have v8 cruiser ute. Currently 130ltr tank but looking at adding a 90ltr plus carrying a couple of jerries.

SWMBO has dictated that this will probably be the last time she is willing to camp under canvas. Future forays into the wilderness will only be countenanced if she is ensconced in some multi-million $$$ mobile gin palace. Therefore I'd like to get the CSR ticked off my 'bucket list' while she is feeling so magnanimous :)

Don't think I'll have a problem carrying an extra couple of jerries but I'll need to get the 'truck' ( hahaha start that old argument up again ) to a weighbridge in next couple of months. It has had a GVM upgrade to 3900kgs.

Regards
FollowupID: 877073

Follow Up By: Triton man - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 10:00

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 10:00
Hi Gramps,

Sorry you are not going in May as like TRAWE, I am also looking for a travel mate. For fuel management Gramps, I figure South to North as best to plan so you can plan more accurately. I expect to do the whole trip without purchasing any fuel till I get to Halls Creek. I did a 'howgozit' and will be doing a calculated 2005 km visiting all wells as well as Wolfe Creek Meteorite Crater on a total of 265 litres carrying small standard mains and the balance in Jerries. A check at Kunawarritji will determine whether I am able to get to Bililluna easily and then a re-calc. there for Halls Creek. I already know how much I need at each place.

Good luck with the bride, I am solo on this trip so will be cranking up the Country music a bit louder.

Triton man

FollowupID: 877084

Follow Up By: Gramps - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 13:16

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 13:16
Hi Triton man,

Yeah SWMBO does'nt think we can get our collective butts into gear for an earlier departure unfortunately.

I'm expecting to use around 350 litres so I'll definitely be refuelling at Kunawaritji either way. Have to get the customary photo of the fuel pump at $3.50++ LOL.

South-North or North-South for me really depends on if I've got company, I don't really have a preference.

Good luck with your search for a travelling companion and I'll have to start work on adding more music too ( Pavarotti, AC/DC, C&W, Cold Chisel etc etc - eclectic eh :)))

Regards
FollowupID: 877089

Follow Up By: Triton man - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 13:34

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 13:34
Whoa, 350 litres eh!!!!!, when I get back I am going to post it somewhere, how I went with fuel. Start at Wiluna chockers and I will document each top-up and a final chock-a-block fill at Halls Creek. Each jerry will have exactly 20.0 litres, not full to the neck but exactly 20 litres precisely. The Triton is very economical and have accurate records from 2 x Simpson crossings, East to west and North to south. I aklso run a "Gas Manager" app. on my iPad which caters for partial fills (i.e. adding jerries or pump for top-ups)

I am a retired pilot of 44 years and fuel planning is critical as you would expect. As a bonus, I love working with Excel spreadsheets. It is all part of planning. Have you heard of the seven P's.? Proper planning prevents pilots piss poor performance.

Triton man
FollowupID: 877090

Follow Up By: Gramps - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 14:06

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 14:06
350ltrs is probably a bit pessimistic. It's only got just over 16k on it and has'nt had any long offroad work yet so it'll be a voyage of discovery so to speak.
Fuel usage so far has ranged from 10.7 to 16.1 per 100km, mean of 11.5. High figure was loaded ute towing loaded box trailer at speed (130k but don't tell anyone).
Regards

ps Thanks, I've now moved from 6 to 7 P's LOL
FollowupID: 877091

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 06:34

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 06:34
Gramps,

If it's any assistance with your fuel planning, on our Simpson/Madigan trip last June, in our v8, we used the following:

B'ville-Mt Dare, 649kms for 103.32L

Mt Dare-B'ville, on Madigan: 770kms for 128.6L

Carried 4 x 20L jerrycans, which I didn't use. The Dmax travelling with us used about 163L for the full trip, as I recall. The Madigan is a slow trip, much of which was done in 2nd & 3rd gear.

Enjoy your CSR journey,

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877117

Follow Up By: Gramps - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 23:56

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 23:56
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm in the ballpark with expected fuel consumption.

Regards
FollowupID: 877153

Follow Up By: Triton man - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2017 at 18:39

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2017 at 18:39
G'day Trawe, Bob, Gramps etc.,

Well, finally given up on getting a travel partner for the CSR. Am going SOLO, applied for and got my permits the other day for both GCR (2) and CSR (2), 2 for free and $50 and $110 for the CSR. Going to have a leisurely 20 day trip through with 17 being drive days and 3 free days. I have planned and re-planned everything and planning to complete the whole trip on standard Triton tank of 75 litres but have upped the jerries from 11 to 12 making it 315 litres total (75 + 240). I have preplanned my jerry top-up points and a ''howgozit" ex Kunawaritji for Willuna and a further "howgozit" at Billiluna for Halls Creek via Wolfe Creek meteorite crater.

I will check this thread from time to time and will report back with exact fuel burn (consumption) and any other tit bits of info by mid June (if I survive). Having the main battery replaced in April, still pondering shockies, have Lovells, thinking may replace them and take old ones for spares. Will see what you more experienced guys suggest. What is a 'better' make (brand) for shockies ??
Now in la-la land awaiting my date of 3rd May to leave CNS and about 11th for Willuna. Best regards, it has been great chatting with you all. Triton man
FollowupID: 878779

Sponsored Links