Daily food with Freezer only

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 13:01
ThreadID: 133993 Views:3233 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Happy Christmas.

Just wondering what everybody does for food during the day using only a freezer.
Thinking a making sammos in the morning then having them later without freezing them. Or keeping cans cold without freezing them.

Do you have a separate esky and chuck in an ice block each day or is there some way of insulating a container within the freezer.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 13:10

Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 13:10
A few years back when I was running my Camper Trailer I ran an EvaKool as a Freezer. I had 6 of the large Esky Freezer Blocks. Each day I would put three frozen blocks into my 7 day Esky (supposed to keep ice for 7days), every 24hrs I replaced them with three from the freezer,. They were never fully defrosted. I had the EvaKool set on about - 15.

This worked for 9 months whilst we travelled around Aus.
AnswerID: 606969

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 14:25

Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 14:25
Thanks Notso,
I like that concept - especially the rotational idea.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876662

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor_H - Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 22:40

Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 22:40
Wasn't sure if I had posted under the name of Notso there for a while, as we had exactly the same process. Rotated 3 blocks daily into the day box, also Evacool product.
FollowupID: 876664

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 06:37

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 06:37
our fridge in the ute is used as a freezer with everything vac-packed for longer life. As previously stated above, we take out a freezer block 1 with the frozen evening meal an place into a 12v 15ltr fridge. The fridge has never turned on, as well as keeping a couple of cold cans and a small bottle of wine cold for the navi ( she who must be obeyed haha) to the extent that we need to place the vac pack on the front bar so the gamma cooker thaws it out. We vac pack cheese and sliced meats and nibbles into 1 or 2day lots and defrost as we go. Your frozen food will act as a chiller block
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 876666

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 22:07

Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 22:07
I still take a sanger with me these days, Alan, and usually carry a freezer block in the small esky as well. By early afternoon, the block is pretty much thawed, but it's done it's job of keeping the food cool, until I've devoured it. Often sitting on the floor of the truck so in a hot area.

You can buy rolls of "Go-Between" that you place between slices of meat etc, to make removing single slices from a frozen pack much easier.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 606978

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 07:04

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 07:04
If you are running a freezer, you would also have a fridge, so why not turn it down so that it is only a fridge?
A cool fridge is much more practical than a dedicated freezer. Current draw is much less on a setting of 5 degrees, as apposed to -15.

Have traveled extensively through the outback and have never needed a freezer.
Our meat is usually vacuum sealed and lasts for ages, just kept cool in the portable fridge.
When we stop for lunch, it doesn't take long to assemble a sanga from the contents of the fridge, or jars, etc.

Of course, we don't have rug rats with us so no need for ice blocks, icecream, or the like. Nothing needs to be kept frozen.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 606982

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:53

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:53
Yep, as unsure about whether OP has both fridge and freezer, I would say if it was just one or the other, I'd certainly use it as a fridge set around -1c to -2c and that should be fine for up to 2 weeks of food / drink needs.
Any longer and a quick cryo and you'd be set for 4 - 8 weeks managing fine out of a fridge, which is getting a bit unnecessary for resupply in most travelling situations.

If the OP has both fridge and freezer, you can manage better and take pressure off the fridge power by taking out a couple of days frozen dinners / snacks, etc and placing in there as needed, helps keep fridge compressor from operating as much.

I wouldn't like to be trying to make the sealed type chemical type ice blocks etc to daily put in an ice box with frozen dinners etc to keep drinks adequately cold.
It just wouldn't cut it from experience with these, even in really small 6 pack type coolers.
FollowupID: 876670

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 14:01

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 14:01
5 degrees isn't cold enough to be safe!

FollowupID: 876672

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 10:11

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 10:11
Hi Alan

First of all, Seasons Greetings and welcome to the age of travelling with a fridge....lol

We have been travelling now for well over 20 years with our trusty Engel fridges and have changed our way of how we use the fridge.

We used to always use it as a freezer, and took an esky, and would use the esky on a two day cycle.

In this way, we would take out frozen food on a two day cycle. In a good esky, it usually would take 2 days to fully defrost, so on the two day cycle, food would not be frozen when the time came to cook and use it, and the next days frozen food would act as a way of keeping the previous days food cool, thus only going to the fridge once at the end of the day to take out the next two days food cycle out.

That way way ok, but you are losing valuable space with the esky, and for the last 15 years of so now only use it on fridge only. First of all we run the fridge between minus 1 and 0, keeping everything as cold as possible and prolongs the growth of food bacteria that will grow at a very fast and unsafe rate once food gets over 4 degrees C. In this way we have had fresh milk last well into nearly the third week that usually only has a 10 day life.....you smell here is the best way to make sure the milk has not gone off.

Next of all meat, have it vac sealed at the butchers and we have has steak in the fridge for 3 weeks without it going off. We found the secret here is to make sure that the meat bags have not slipped and they still remain tight and free of air. Yes the blood from the meat will look a slight green colour in the tight bag, yet when opened, the meat smells as fresh as the day it went into the bag to be sealed.

Its up to you and how long you will be away from topping up the fridge, but for us, the fridge only way is how we now travel without any issues at all.

Best Regards

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 606987

Sponsored Links