Joining of the Rails Update.

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 20:56
ThreadID: 134053 Views:3229 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Good Evening All

Just another update re this years Historical Event at 1:45pm on Tuesday 17th October 2017 at Ooldea.

Here is another first that you will not see or hear anywhere else. I have just had a phone call from my great friend Murray from Ceduna and he has now had it confirmed the the 2 new Monuments to be erected on the original site, just west of Ooldea have been fabricated in Port Augusta from steel and the actual rails that were wood on the original monuments are real railway tracks, welded to the monuments.

When I get any further details, you will be the first to hear about it.

So in the mean time, book your annual leave and lets make the 100th anniversary unveiling a special event.

Until my next update.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 06:58

Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 06:58
Great update Stephen. I'm starting to make plans now.
AnswerID: 607260

Follow Up By: Aussie Noel - Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:06

Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:06
When we were there mid year I was amazed to see this made from timber and chipboard. they must of been short oy rail line
FollowupID: 876968

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:43

Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:43
Hi Boobook

It is shaping up to be a great event and it will be great to meet many EO members at a true great remote location.

See you there.

Cheers

Stephen

Hi Noel

Yes the old memorial was not made to last and the new metal memorial should last as a true memorial for well into the future.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876973

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:37

Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:37
Looking forward to this Stephen. Plenty of good things to do from there as well.
AnswerID: 607265

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:46

Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:46
Hi Leigh

It should be a great historical event and we have heard from Fig and looking forward to catching up with the old crew again. Hope you are putting pressure on Jim and Graham to come as well.

All the Best

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876974

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 16:21

Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 16:21
Gee, I thought it was Sydney and Brisbane being joined by rail for a minute

Oh well... we'll catch up with the rest of the world one day. Maybe.
AnswerID: 607290

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 10:58

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 10:58
There are two great Australian engineering feats celebrated on Oct 17. The Snowy Mountains Hydroelectric Scheme was officially begun in 1949 so it's got another 32 years until its centenary but 57 years till 2074 when it wil be 100 years since it was finished. Best head over east for the 70 th or 75th. LOL..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 607385

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 14:33

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 14:33
Hi Warrie

Yes they are both very special feats but there are a few big differences that set them apart. Is there going to be any celebration to commemorate the 75th Anniversary, if so can you please fill us all in, as it would be a great event to be part of.

Post WW 11 there was a large push to get immigrants from war torn Europe to increase the Australian population and it was was through those incredible people that got the Snowy Scheme got off of the ground and it was a credit to the Engineering feats that saw it complete to the way it is now.

The Joining of the Rails on the other hand was to me far more important for many reasons and was of benefit to the whole young Nation of Australia, and not just New South Wales like the Snowy Scheme.

We have to all remember that prior to the 17th October 1917, the only way to get any goods or services to the other side of Australia, namely Western Australia was by sea via the steam ships and sail vessels that were still in the waters, or by camel teams, or on foot, as there were still to commercial Air services and rail was just non existant.

1917 was in the peak of the Great War, and saw many active young men and boys slogging it out in pure hell on the Western Front, with tens of thousand never ever coming home to their home lands, leaving limited men to do the very hard manual work of erecting this new rail link across South Australia and Western Australia.

As I stated above, both are very special in their own right, but the 17th October 1917 saw the Nation linked for the very first time in living history and never had the more modern equipment as used 32 years later, nor the man power.

If you can, try to get over to this very special event, as that to me this is such a very special National Event.

Cheers and all the Best for 2017

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877132

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 18:25

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 18:25

John Greig wanted me to share these pics with you all.
The official release of the event reads:
Trans Australian Railway - 100th Anniversary - Joining of the Rail Lines - 17th October, 2017
An Unveiling Ceremony to mark the 100th Anniversary of the joining of the Trans Australian Rail lines will be held near the abandoned Ooldea Railway Station in South Australia at 1.45 PM on Tuesday, 17th October, 2017. The time and date will be precise to the minute of the joining of the lines 100 years ago. Two crews were laying the lines; one working from the east, and the other from the west.
The Unveiling will be of two replacement monuments. The previous wooden monuments, which were erected in 1967 to mark the 50th Anniversary of the joining of the lines, had collapsed completely by the late 1990's. The information currently available is that the two replacement monuments will be same size steel replicas of the originals.
So for railway buffs, and those interested in Australian history, put the date in your diaries if you want to be a part of this historic occasion. Further information will be available closer to the date.

I will be putting this into the newsletter next week.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 607441

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 20:34

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 20:34
Hi Michelle and a Very Happy New Year to the Martin Household.

I received that information some time ago and also included it in one of the past posts by me.

The event should be great and it would be great for you and your family to wave the EO Banner and we should make this special event what it should be.....a National Historic event.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877140

Sponsored Links