Dargo to Omeo (again)

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 15:29
ThreadID: 134061 Views:5727 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have read most posts that come up in a search on this subject and think I have my mind around it. But to be specific, my Rooftop's map suggests that one way to get to Omeo from Dargo is to head up the Dargo High Plains Road, turn right just after starting to climb the steep hill, cross the Dargo River at Madigans Bridge into Jones Road, turn left into Birregan Road which becomes Upper Limestone Creek Road and then Cassilis Road before joining the Great Alpine Road south west of Omeo.

Two Questions:
1. Are there any significant water crossings on this road, and
2. We are looking at a round trip Omeo, Hotham, Dargo , Omeo. Which is the best way to go. In that order or the other way. I have in mind my wife who prefers to minimize the amount of time that she spends peering down steep mountains without guard rails on the road side. Her knuckles tend to get white.

We have previously driven the Dargo High Plains Road as far as the road into the historic area at Grant. I know that it becomes gravel a bit further on.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 14:30

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 14:30
Hi Kevin, you're on the right track with the route from Dargo to Omeo, its quite a long moderately steep haul up to Berregun Road, but from then on all is good and Dogs Grave is a good spot for a bit to eat.
The Dargo High Plains Road from the Great Alpine Road down to Dargo is one of my favourites as it traverses some great alpine meadows before descending to the valleys below.
Enjoy, Gary M.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607343

Follow Up By: Kenell - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 18:33

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 18:33
There is also a great lookout about 10/15mins before Dog's Grave at the helicopter landing pad and transmission tower. Its only 2 mins off the road on the right side. No white knuckle stuff - just a large cleared patch. Not quite the Blue Rag view but pretty good on a clear day.

Ken
FollowupID: 877104

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 15:25

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 15:25
That route is the most direct & generaly a 2wd formed dirt road.
The only river is the Dargo which has a bridge over it at "The Farm".
No particular direction as the road is cut in on both sides of the ridges but no narrow steep drops offs in any case.
AnswerID: 607350

Reply By: Member - Balvenie Pastoral - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 16:03

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 16:03
An interesting side trip off the Dargo road at the Mt St Bernard end is the Blue Rag Range track. Its in and out, about an hour to the trig point and very popular. Avoid the white Knuckles with a comfortable deck chair and a newspaper on the first hill for your dearly devoted and go on to take in the 360 degree views for the next hour or so.... its worth it.
AnswerID: 607394

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 18:24

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 18:24
Thanks to those who have responded. Jut the information that I was looking for and then some. I had been thinking of poking my nose up the Blue Rag Track and I am now even ore inclined to do so.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 607440

Sponsored Links