camerons corner camping

Submitted: Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1341 Views:9319 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
us two young people (50yrs +), are heading up to camerons corner,using broken hill as a departure point. Can anyone advise of camping area,s (bush camp preferred), along the way please. Also what facilites are available at tibooburra, fuel etc. Thanks very much to all, in anticipation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fred - Saturday, Jun 22, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 22, 2002 at 00:00
Des Tibooburra has 2 pubs, petrol, motel and caravan park. After that you're pretty much on your own till Innamincka, where there are bush camp sites along Cooper Creek. Be aware that the roads up there become very difficult if it rains. We were stuck for over a day after overnight rain last July - we were all driving 4wds without trailers and were unable to progress on the slippery roads - so go prepared to "camp out for a few days if stranded - mind you if it doesn't rain a car would have no trouble on the roads. Enjoy your trip!!
AnswerID: 4359

Reply By: Trev - Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00
Des - Try a stop at Mutawintji National Park. It is worth it.
Tibooburra is fantastic place. Has everything including great coffee. You didn't say where you were heading after the corner but last time we we were there we paid to go through Bollard Lagoon just outside of Cameron Corner. It is very pleasant trip and cuts out getting air sick going over all the dunes. Trev
AnswerID: 4367

Follow Up By: Graham - Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00

Trev
Wondering how bad the sand hills in the Cameron Crn area are now, as it's some 25yrs since I went thur that area. Next winter we were looking to trav thru Cameron Crn. area (Innaminka to Tibaburra) towing off road van behind Nissan Pathfinder, and from your comments seems the Bollard Lagoon route would be the way to go if towing.

Graham
FollowupID: 1873

Reply By: Trev - Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00

Des - They are not sand hills as there is a constructed road. There are just so many of them it gets a bit boring. You are also travelling a bit (a lot) faster than in the Simpson.
Bollards lagoon is on station tracks with some road. Trev
AnswerID: 4375

Reply By: Andrew O - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00
Des,
There are good National Parks campsites at Tibooburra (just outside of town - Golden Gully), Fort Grey (about 20Km short of Cameron Corner), and Olive Downs, a nice detour track between Tib & CC. These are all good spots (pit toilets & water but nothing else) ... if you're really desparate, you can camp at Cameron Corner itself. I'll be staying at Bollards Lagoon in two weeks, so I hope thats OK! Tib has all facilities you'll need - but beware, water shortages can lead to some being turned off.
Cheers.
Andrew O
AnswerID: 4384

Reply By: Beddo - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00
I lived at Tibooburra for 4 years during 1991 - 95; 2WD to Camerons Corner then to Innaminka and down to Flinders Ranges not a problem. Towing C'vans only if you don't like your C'van or if it is a off roader. The Gibbers(stones) and corragations are not friendly to trailers, I would not take it past Fort Grey Camping area. I have been away for a few years - it is interesting to hear of a camping ground at Bollards Lagoon. For info call Anne Marie at the Tibooburra NPWS office, Sturt National Park - she will know everything you want to know.Bush camping - around Milparinka you have the Pub and the goldfiels - you can get permission off the property owners to bush camp - as I said call Anne Marie re contacting property owners. Within Sturt NP there are 4 camp grounds Dead Horse Gully in the Granites near Tibbobburra (very nice) it has loos and gas BBQ's. I would not count on water availablity - check with NPWS - we had nutters wanting to wash there cars in the middle of a drought - if you want drinking water bring your own as the town supply is catch tanks - runoff from the hills. You also have Olive Downs Camping area (less people here), Mt Wood. And Fort Grey towards Cameron Corner in the dune country. Past Fort Grey the track winds into the dunes be careful as you go over them as the road often turns sharply after the dune (there have been many head ons and roll over particularly with vehicles towing). I would recommend going past Cameron Coprner to Innaminka seeing your so close, and go to Cullyamurra waterhole (leave van at Tibboburra, Fort Grey Rangers homestead (check first) or even Bollard Lagoon, Cheers Beddo
PS. B'Hill to Tibooburra - half is almost bitumen.
AnswerID: 5075

Sponsored Links