Local 4wd offerings not up to scratch?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 14:20
ThreadID: 13417 Views:1784 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just found this on the Sydney Morning Herald's website:

"In an exclusive, exhaustive test drive to the centre of Australia by the Herald's Drive section, the Ford Territory and Holden Adventra suffered embarrassing electrical faults in conditions they were built to conquer - and which are portrayed in their TV ads - and were outclassed by vehicles made in Japan.

"Just four days into the 11-day journey, which covered four states and the Northern Territory, a stone knocked out a sensor which disabled the Ford's traction control and anti-lock brakes - a crucial part of the all-wheel-drive system.

"The Holden had to be towed to the dealer in Alice Springs; it wouldn't start because a sensor behind the dashboard dislodged because of vibrations caused by driving on corrugated roads. The Japanese vehicles - a Mitsubishi Pajero, Toyota Kluger and Toyota LandCruiser - completed the trip without any major faults."

Hmmm... why didn't they take a Pootrol or did they think it wasn't up to the task?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cokeaddict - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 14:30

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 14:30
Ok this will bring some fun and games....but before we all degrade the opositions cars, consider this one point.....the artical said....

"a stone knocked out a sensor which disabled the Ford's traction control and anti-lock brakes - a crucial part of the all-wheel-drive system."
Now I know these things are advertised as go anywhere off roaders and I know they are NOT, but that stone could have damaged ANY 4wd in the same circumstance. Thats not what i would calssify as a fault. It could have pierced a fuel like in my patrol or an auto trans line in an automatic landcruiser. I just cant see the point with that one.

The Holdien being towed is fair game, these buys should know how rought things get out there.... plastic clips just wont hold things together in those circumstances....

Good luck to all that buy one of theses toys believing tha adds telling us they go anywhere at all.

I will sit back and enjoy my patrol.
AnswerID: 61499

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 14:32

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 14:32
ok ok ok...sorry for the typos guys, sometimes i get excited ...woff !!!
FollowupID: 322961

Follow Up By: sean - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 16:03

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 16:03
Cokeaddict, you say

"............. but that stone could have damaged ANY 4wd in the same circumstance. ............"

I think its fairer to say the jury is still out and so it should be.

Regards

Sean
FollowupID: 322984

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 23:19

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 23:19
Sounds like one of those one in a million things to me. Ford thrashed these vehicles during testing in the outback to a greater extent than some journos would dare to do, if the sensor was being taken out I'm sure they would have done something about it.

Finally I must declare I work for Ford...work very very hard :)
FollowupID: 323075

Reply By: ianmc - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 14:47

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 14:47
Really fellas! Put the electronics down near the mud where a stone can disable it
and no protection it would seem or poor sockets/plugs & thats all right with you!
Bet those who live out there would think otherwise!
AnswerID: 61500

Reply By: Michael - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 14:57

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 14:57
Hey, i suppose Patrols didnt have to prove a thing,,,, they just took the suss vehicles LOL Michael
AnswerID: 61502

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 16:24

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 16:24
Right on Michael
FollowupID: 322995

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 18:46

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 18:46
Thats it!! Only the ones that have to prove something still!!!!!
FollowupID: 323013

Sponsored Links