Solar panel lightening strike follow up! thread #134163

Submitted: Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 15:34
ThreadID: 134170 Views:3788 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
This Thread has been Locked

G'day all, today is the first time I have had to have a closer look at the panel damage, separated the wiring & did a voltage check - undamaged panel 21.2, damaged panel 21.2 - wow! in that condition, even with crumbling glass! check out the pic's! Looks like I only need to replace this controller! Can anyone recognize the make & type of this controller & where could I get one? I will repair this panel & mount it on top of my shed next to the caravan as a spare
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 16:19

Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 16:19
Try typing MPPT Solar Charge Controller in to eBay search.
You will find it easily at $24.47

AnswerID: 607905

Follow Up By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 16:30

Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 16:30
Thanks shaker, I was told on a previous post it is not a MPPT controller even as it is printed so?
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 877675

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 18:08

Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 18:08
At that price I, too, very much doubt that it is true MPPT. There is a technical cheat that can approximate MPPT, but it's a cheat and not as efficient as the real thing.

But if you're happy with what you had and want to replace like for like, then there is no issue.

If you want to get the max out of your panels, a true MPPT mounted close to the battery is what you need.

This one or its smaller sibling are well regarded and reasonably priced, particularly the smaller one.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 877682

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 16:23

Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 16:23
In case you don't ID that regulator (probably an unbranded sub-budget item) you can access regulators from a host of suppliers. I had one of these (but PWM...not MPPT) on the back of my auxiliary 100W panel (that I bought from Low ED, online). I took it off the panel, because my panel plugs into the caravan as an extra supply and runs through the van's Morningstar 30A solar unit. I put some connection jacks on that spare Landstar 10A regulator and use it for various jobs here and there. Places like Jaycar etc. have a lot of regulators too.
AnswerID: 607907

Reply By: ModSquad - Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 18:24

Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 18:24
Why Why Why Delilah

aussiedingo

Please dont start new threads when your existing one is still alive and well. For painfully obvious reasons, it is against forum rules. Now we have two threads going on the exact same subject by the same person!!

We are locking this one - please post all new info, questions and comments in the existing thread.

Cheers
The ModSquad

Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607910

Sponsored Links