SZ Territory 2011-13, PX Ranger 2011-2012 RECALL

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 01, 2017 at 15:52
ThreadID: 134221 Views:3145 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Fyi and/or action. Particularly relevant to those on the road who may not get mail quickly or those who bought their vehicles second hand and who may not be registered with Ford (as happened to us with a Mazda 323 recall some years ago).
-----------------------------------------------------------

Ford Motor Company of Australia Limited — Ford Territory and Ranger
PRA No. 2016/15793
Date published 22 Dec 2016

SZ Territory diesel vehicles built from 19 September 2011 to 5 February 2013.
PX Ranger vehicles built from 5 November 2011 to 7 November 2012

What are the defects?
There is a possibility that an intermittent Output Shaft Speed Sensor failure may result in an unintended downshift into first gear.

What are the hazards?
If the failure occurs while the vehicle is in use, it could cause an abrupt wheel speed reduction. This may cause the rear tyres to slide or lock up until the vehicle speed slows, which could result in a loss of vehicle control.

What should consumers do?
Until the Safety Recall Service is completed it is recommended that the vehicle be driven with caution and at moderate speed.

Consumers will be contacted by direct mail. Consumers should contact their local Ford dealer to arrange for an inspection and repair.

For further information, consumers can contact any authorised Ford dealer or Ford's Customer Relationship Centre on 1800 503 672.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/products/transport/cars/ford
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2017 at 20:26

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2017 at 20:26
I contacted ford as mine falls within that time. Their answer was, your vehicle has no outstanding recalls period. I then went and saw our local dealer and the service manager said he hasn't a clue what is going on, but he did know it was causing headaches for ford. His take was, it is mechanically impossible for the auto to change back to first due to fluid pressures.

No one has said anything about it on the ford forums and that is the first place it would show up.

Who knows but I am still waiting for mine to break something.
AnswerID: 608172

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2017 at 20:48

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2017 at 20:48
Why can't the faulty electronics switch on the change solenoids and select 1st while moving?????
Earlier Falcons used to lock up the auto into a few gears at once and the auto then it disembowelled itself and left bits of auto on the roadway behind the vehicle.

I know of two which did exactly that.

Earlier PX rangers were also known to suddenly activate FULL ABS braking while driving. That one happened on the newest Sydney Bypass freeway. Driver had no control other than to steer as best they could. Didn't get tailgated luckily.
FollowupID: 877955

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2017 at 21:37

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2017 at 21:37
I just cut and pasted the OP's thread title into Google and came up with a couple of pages related to this recall.

I suppose if it's on the ACCC recall website it would be a valid recall!

ACCC - Ford Recall

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 877956

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2017 at 22:04

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2017 at 22:04
The link to the official recall notice is at the bottom of my post Anthony. I cut and pasted from there.

It;s an official FORD MOTOR COMPANY OF AUSTRALIA recall notice so I'd take comments like "it's causing headaches for Ford" with a grain of salt and ask my dealer to follow up immediately by phone if I owned one of the vehicles.

Alternatively anyone who has issues can use the 1800 number mentioned above:
Ford Customer Relationship Centre 1800 503 672.

I'm not surprised that some people in Ford dealerships across the country aren't aware of the recall. I had a similar experience years ago with my Patrol. The timing specs were documented incorrectly (it was the new model SD33 engine) but Japan sent out corrections, which some dealers apparently filed away without understanding their significance. Meanwhile I paid while my local dealer tried to get the timing right for hours on end. Found out the facts some weeks later but was too young/timid to demand a refund.
FollowupID: 877957

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2017 at 22:48

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2017 at 22:48
Yeah I realise that Bazooka!...

I put it there for 9900Eagle who stated that it hadn't shown up in the Ford Forums

Cheers

Anthony

FollowupID: 877960

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2017 at 21:46

Thursday, Feb 02, 2017 at 21:46
It's interesting that there is no recall on the Mazda BT50, which in that period was mechanically identical (I think!!).
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 608214

Sponsored Links