Birdsville mentioned on the National Weather this morning

Submitted: Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 13:34
ThreadID: 134276 Views:3854 Replies:11 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Over here in WA, the ABC news breakfast show on TV actually mentioned Birdsville expecting 45 degrees on Sunday. Good luck with that. But they got it wrong for Perth today - would love it to reach 27 but alas we sit in long pants/long sleeves with a drizzly grey day. This is NOT summer.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bob R4 - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 14:28

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 14:28
Tarcoola SA 45 deg today, 48 yesterday!
AnswerID: 608434

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 14:36

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 14:36
Hi Michelle

When I walked home for lunch yesterday, the sun had a real hot bite to it and before I went back to work, it was a charming 45.5 and as I writing this now on Friday lunchtime, the cool change has arrived and it is a balmy 43.6

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 608436

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 15:30

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 15:30
Currently 46.8 here in Cessnock NSW. Hotter tomorrow and Sunday. Cooler Monday.

I have decided to take my holidays in Antarctica next summer., and I won't be taking any warm clothes with me because I should have enough stored heat to get me through.
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 608441

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 16:58

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 16:58
It didn't get hot in Central Victoria today, only a little above 42. SOOOO cool.
AnswerID: 608442

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 17:59

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 17:59
Local radio station here in Brisbane was talking to a lady from the Birdsville Roadhouse a few days ago, I'm pretty sure she said they haven't been below 43 degrees since Australia Day...they can have that.
AnswerID: 608444

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 20:25

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 20:25
Hi Rumpig

Here in South Australia, Moomba has not been below 45 for over two weeks and still there is no end in sight. The joys of a typical hot Aussie summer.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878192

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 20:54

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 20:54
You can have those sort of temperatures to yourself Stephen, though supposed to be 42 degrees at my place here in Brisbane on Sunday.
FollowupID: 878195

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 06:38

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 06:38
Stephen,
Here is the temps for both Birdsville and Moomba for the last week and they are about the same. No constant 45 though. You all should leave that hot southern land and come to balmy central Queensland.

Moomba Daily

Birdsville daily

Balmy observations
FollowupID: 878198

Follow Up By: Top End Az - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 09:43

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 09:43
Had 43 for a few days in Yulara a couple of months ago on our travels. Being from Darwin we will take the dry heat over the humidity any day of the week. I don't remember though having every TV network being at Yulara reporting on the heat when we were there.
Unless you are working or camping outside the hot days are easier to deal with than 20 years ago with most cars, homes and work places being a/c these days.
Hope it cools down for all and you get a bit of rain come your way in the next few days.
FollowupID: 878206

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 10:27

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 10:27
-
Eagle,
You need to get that Mackay thermometer seen to. It appears to be stuck on 30 degrees. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 878207

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 13:53

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 13:53
Hi eagle and Az....and of course Allan

It's funny thay you have those details on Moomba.

I was only speaking to an old friend at work this morning, who happens to work up there. When I mentioned your above figures, he just laughed, and said like hell.

They only work on thermometers under buildings and not the Internet, and just last week at 7:30am it was already 41 degrees, and most days when they are out in the field, it is well over 50.

Have to agree 100% Az regarding the humidity. A good clear heat is no problems at all and as we all get older, we just seem to take them in our strole .

I personally find that clear days up to 38 are just fine, but once they get over 40, they are just hot.

The silly part about it is if say for example it is a perfect 32 degrees and you have a 4 degree increase to 36, you can feel the increase, where as any increase over 40 is not noticeable........its just bloody hot.....lol

One of my sons works up in the Pilbra and he can have the hot weather that they get up there....it just goes on for months at a time, where as down here where we live, the 40 plus days usually only hang around for no more than a week and then it is back to anywhere from low to mid 30's.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878213

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 14:30

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 14:30
Yes, as you can see those figures are the official Bom ones taken from their weather station. Where I live often my thermometer will read say 34C and the Bom figure will be 31C. Their instruments are only about 2K from my house but I guess they are just a little more scientific than mine.

Got to agree, our humidity is just a tad higher than inland.

I have been told and remember this is second hand so I can't be sure if it is true, that when parliament is sitting in Canberra, the temp just outside parliament house will be maybe 40C but at the airport it will be 28C. Guess the house is letting off a lot of hot air. LOL.

The southern states sure have had a flogging this year, it is either blowing like hell, flooding or heat waves. We can send you some steaming coal at a discount rate to keep you all cool down there. Just fire up the old Port Augutta station and all will be good. BTW, this is not a political statement just a dig.
FollowupID: 878214

Follow Up By: Top End Az - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 14:35

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 14:35
It's good to see the regional centres in the news. Too often we only here about what's happening in Sydney or Melbourne where if they have a hot day then the breakfast shows will make sure the whole country knows about it.
FollowupID: 878215

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 15:19

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 15:19
Hi eagle

Don't speak to me about our hopeless Labour Government here in South Australia.....

The very first thing that dear Jay did was flog off all the infrastructure inside the power station at Port Augusta and had that very large chimney demolished so no future government could get the power station up and running again.

If you believe the blatant lies that our Treasurer Tom told us, there was only 3 years of coal left at Leigh Creek......but guess what. A journalist did some digging the other day and our government look like the fools they are....

He found from PIRSA reports that there is infact over 500 million tonnes of coal left at Leigh Creek, and a lot at only 10 metres below the surface. Of the 500 million tonnes, only 100 million was high grade suitable for our now demolished power station, and on the above figures from PIRSA ( a Government Body ) would have been able to keep the Port Augusta power station running for over 30 years......far more that our dear treasurer stated at only 3 years.

In the mean time, our state has suffered 4 major power blackouts since September last year and expects have warned we have not even seen the worst of it yet and with the closure of the Victorian Power Station, we will and must expect serious power outages and next summer will be the real test.

Like many country poeple that have lost power for up to 3 days and longer, and not hours, we only wished the power outages were like that in the city where our politicans live. If city folks lost their power for 3 days, you would see dear Jay, Tom and their cronies hanging in Victoria Square in the heart of Adelaide and be made to explain to the poeple in South Australia what real fools they are.

So to answer your question, we would love some of your coal, but our useless Labour Government had the power station demolished and now reply interconnect power from Victoria and New South Wales.

Cheers from the Blackout State....

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878216

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 19:45

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 19:45
It could be worse, they could build a de-sal plant at the cost of many billions of dollars and then never need it.
I thought the Labor party looked after the workers. Who would set up any reasonable sized business in SA if the is an unreliable power suppy.
Get a generator that will run your fridge and freezer, I think this is the only answer.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878223

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 20:33

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 20:33
Stephen., I can see your frustration about incompetent decisions. I don't have any idea on who advises these people in government, BUT you really have to wonder, when such big steps are made who takes responsibility for the outcome, which in your case isn't nice. Maybe yes minister.

Should leave this alone as all sides of politics have some really serious brain fades at times.

Will get of this topic and I hope the weather cools around Australia for everyone.

BTW. last time I went through Clare I got seriously wet and had a giggle at a fella that polished some gears in a K model Kenworth. That was at your Wright St roundabout, local had decided to enter the roundabout not looking at the 42 tonnes trying to remove his daily driver. Different states, different drivers but always the same. Ha.ha.

Tip. Get friendly with the local cold store owner.
FollowupID: 878225

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 23:21

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 23:21
Hi again eagle and Chris

Do not laugh Chris, that is exactly whst dear Jay did a few years ago, and guess what........it has never put one single drop of water back into our system....yet another example of tax payers money down the tube.

Have you heard about the RAH ( Royal Adelaide Hospital ).......the worlds...yes that is correct, the worlds most expensive hospital ever built. I think from memory 2 years behind schedule, never had one patient admitted and then the government brags it is saving tax payers $1 million a day for not having it open yet. I would have thought that would have made national news......lol

The cool change has finally hit and it is now a beautiful 20 degrees outside and will be a great night for sleeping and an expected 23 tomorrow.

Eagle, it is real hot up in Birdsville. They showed the local policeman on top of Big Red cooking an egg in a fry pan .....now that is hot...lol

Keep cool everyone where ever you are in this great Nation. It's the people that make this country the best, and not our politicians, what ever side we back.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878230

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2017 at 14:59

Sunday, Feb 12, 2017 at 14:59
Getting a bit off topic, but I heard the other day Defence was spending another $20 million on generators to have the subs built in SA. Apparently the SA Govt. can't guarantee power.

I thought we were having problems in WA.
FollowupID: 878243

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2017 at 15:22

Sunday, Feb 12, 2017 at 15:22
Hi Rody

The power problem is very bad, and the public have had a guts full now.

The other day our Premier announced that SA count put its own new power system in so we are not relyant on the National grid.

They have just over 12 months to get things sorted out, as if it continues, they will get smashed in our next state election.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878244

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Feb 12, 2017 at 17:47

Sunday, Feb 12, 2017 at 17:47
One link to the generator announcement by Christopher Pyne.

Cheer

Anthony
FollowupID: 878248

Reply By: Dean K3 - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 18:46

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 18:46
Don't be surprised if we have another "wet week" another low forming in gulf of carpenteria and seems they all been wandering across top end then down the coast.

Wandered across to York Northam and Toodyay last week Thursday Katrine bridge (mid way between Northam and Toodyay) was closed and suspect water levels were same as when Avon descent had the fatality -and now Northam been placed on flood alert

2 days in row had the wood heater burning -stuff the fire restrictions

AnswerID: 608446

Reply By: Idler Chris - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 21:20

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 21:20
Michelle, the most important thing is that you had a great day yesterday celebrating with your family. The weather today is not really that important. Besides, most of us would swap our weather for your weather any day, particularly the doctor.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 608451

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 10:33

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 10:33
-
No Chris, I would not swap our Sunshine Coast weather for this thank you very much!

p.s. Just back from a beautiful Fraser Island trip. Ahh, bliss!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 878208

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 11:35

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 11:35
I'm sure Perth's weather has made the news where you are ... floods floods floods windy and cool. We live in a land of extremes.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878210

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 12:09

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 12:09
-
Hi Michelle,
Yes, we got the news. In fact the 'link' in my post above was to just that.
But we will be in Albany/Margaret River etc. area in early May en-route home from a Kimberley Cruise, so if you would be so kind as to arrange some great weather I would really appreciate it.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 878211

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 06:47

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 06:47
Albury reached 43.7 yesterday with another hot one on the way today, forecast for a change later today.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 608462

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 13:47

Saturday, Feb 11, 2017 at 13:47
Yeh, it's hot here in Camden NSW. It's because it's summer.
AnswerID: 608470

Reply By: Paul E6 - Sunday, Feb 12, 2017 at 23:36

Sunday, Feb 12, 2017 at 23:36
Those who complain about rain in the summer don't have to work out in the heat. Ill take whatever relief I can get in the perth summer.
AnswerID: 608500

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Monday, Feb 13, 2017 at 08:54

Monday, Feb 13, 2017 at 08:54
It has certainly been summer here Michelle. 6 weeks and it hasn't been under 40 during the day and temps of 30 ish overnight. But today we are having a change, a southerly wind and much cooler. Thank the good Lord. Toni
AnswerID: 608506

Sponsored Links