Road conditions from Kiandra to Corryong

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 16, 2017 at 19:39
ThreadID: 134471 Views:6369 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Next week I'll be driving my 23ft motorhome over the Snowy Mountains, from Cooma through Adaminaby. My destination is Yackandandah in Victoria, for the annual folk festival, and I am undecided as to which route to take as I can continue through to Tumut and then to the Hume highway, or turn at Kiandra and drive via Corryong, which is considerably shorter but might be slower.
I'm looking for some information as to how the two routes compare please. I've been across the road via Tumut within the past few years so Im familiar with it but can't remember what the other one to Corryong is like.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Odog - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 05:25

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 05:25
Hi Heather, via Cabramurra is a little narrow in places, and also a little step in spots, still a good road though, not as tight as the Alpine Way. The Elliot Way is not as tight as Tooma Rd, and is also a good road. Elliot Way is probably the best of the two. Both great drives.. hope this sheds some light.. happy travels and enjoy the folk festival.. cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609433

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 08:08

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 08:08
From Kiandra, you have 3 routes you can choose to go to Corryong.

1 Via Tumut: Snowy Mountains Highway - good road, but you have a steep descent at Talbingo Mountain. No problems but you must use your gears for the sedescent or your brakes will fade very quickly. This is by far the longest run. B double trucks use this road so a large motorhome should be no problem.

2 Via Cabramurra, Tumut Pond Dam, Tooma Dam and then on to Corryong. This road is narrow, but sealed all the way. It is by far the most scenic of all the routes. It is the quickest and shortest run to Corryong. Again, there are some steep winding downhill sections which must be taken using the gears to check your speed. I tow my caravan this way, but in winter the road is closed by snow.

3 The Elliot Way. This road takes you almost into Cabramurra, but forks just before the Upper Tumut Switching Station and goes down a long, narrow winding road, past Tumut 2 Underground Power Station, then past the headwaters of Talbingo Reservoir. Eventually it comes out onto the Tumbarumba - Corryong road. Again, this is a scenic run,e specially once you get onto the Tumba Corryong road. There are some BIG, long steep hills on this part of the run, but the scenery is good - open farmland with grandiose mountains in the background. Gee - I sound like a travel brochure.... To get to Corryong is probably 10 km further than option 2.

Whichever way you go, you will have steep downhill sections. Take your time and stay on your own side of the road and you will have no problems. I have a series of route notes (covering Cooma to Melbourne). They cover Options 2 and 3. If you are interested, email me at date@spin.net.au and I can forward them. They detail points of interest on the way.
AnswerID: 609436

Follow Up By: Gundarooster - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 09:52

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 09:52
Well described Erad, I couldn't put it better other than to say expect snow from late may early June and to mention that on Option 3 theres fantastic free camping to be had at Sue City (O'Hares) just after you cross the Tumut River.
Gazza
FollowupID: 879324

Follow Up By: Erad - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 11:05

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 11:05
Gundarooster: You can expect snow at anytime of the year. If there is snow, I would probably take the long way round - via Tumut, especially if you are not used to driving in it. The snowy bits are most likely to be on flatter areas. The run down past Tumut 2 Power Station is used each day by a school bus, so it will be cleared unless it is really heavy, but it could be icy.

Ice is another issue which I forgot to mention. If there has been a frost the roads could be icy and that is really fun on the downhill sections,,,,, Simple piece of advice - if it is icy or slippery due to snow, try to avoid using your brakes as much as possible - use the gears. And if you have to stop to put chains on, pull over to the side of the road - most people stop in the middle and create havoc for everyone else, but equally important, they put themselves at risk because if it that icy and you are having trouble getting traction, what about other people trying to avoid you???

At Cabramurra, there is Cafe 1488, which is the old Snowy mess. It is now a cafe offering basic fare at quite reasonable prices. You can also get a coffee at the shop there, as well as general Snowy Hydro information. I don't have any affiliations with either of them but we often go up to Cabra for lunch if it is a nice day (which it normally is in this area...)
FollowupID: 879325

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 08:42

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 08:42
Hi Heather, Glad to hear your coming down this way & am sure you will enjoy. Back to the question, There is no doubt that the Snowy Mountains H Way through Tumut is an easier trip in a larger vehicle or when towing. The road from Cabramurra towards Khancoban has some steep & fairly narrow sections. It’s an interesting drive past dam sites & old huts.
If you come via the Elliot way there is a section from the Link Rd down to O'Hares (Goat Ridge Rd) that is a steep decline and very narrow in some section particularly just before Tumut 2 Power station. The short climb up from O'Hares has a few narrow turns & often some minor rock falls practically after rain. It all depends on how you feel about driving in these conditions. The main thing, and I am sure you would be aware is selecting a low gear, easing down the steep parts & looking after your brakes. Enjoy your trip whichever way you should go.
AnswerID: 609439

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 13:55

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 13:55
Hullo Heather
All good advice above. As stated, weather conditions could well influence your decision.
If due to whatever circumstances, you decide to go via Tumut, a pleasant route is via Batlow, Tumbarumba (nearly but good place for coffee, etc)), taking the road to the right just before the town to Jingellic and on to Shelley and thence Yackandandah. The Walwa - Shelley road has a short section that is unsealed and may have log trucks but after the first one they will mostly let others know you are on the road.
Enjoy whichever route you take
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 609452

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 14:27

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 14:27
Thank you to everyone who has provided such a wealth of information. I haven't been visiting exploroz much of late but once again have been reminded just why I signed up to life membership a few years ago. Its the best place to get answers to so many travel related questions. I will be getting back into contributing to the forum, and hopefully writing blogs later in the year, although have just discovered that I need to have a knee replacement, as well as cataract surgery sometime within the next 12 months, so will have to fit my travelling around these repairs!

I'll probably go via Tooma and then to Corryong and just take my time, enjoy the scenic bits and if I feel any pressure from other vehicles wanting to get past, will pull over or communicate via my CB radio so they don't feel like abusing me in my Granny flat.

I'll be with my new found friend...and if he behaves, might let him share the driving! Lol!

If any EO members will be in Yackandandah from 23rd to 27th March, maybe we can catch up. I'm staying in the caravan park as usual, with a group of friends.

Regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 609453

Sponsored Links