Night Parrots found in remote WA...

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:30
ThreadID: 134523 Views:2702 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Some friends of mine (and some other blokes:) have located a population of the elusive Night Parrot in remote WA - somewhere near a salt lake (?)

Night Parrot Sighting...

Good to see they are actually still around over this side of Australia. Another new population (in addition to some previous ones) was also found in Qld the other day as well.

Things are looking a bit better for a bird that was for a while thought to be extinct (by some at least).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 11:22

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 11:22
The Qld "discovery" was a few years ago Greg, they have continued to monitor them each winter. I met the person who found them last year when I was in Diamantina NP. It raises some land management issues even within a NP. Interesting to see what happens in this WA discovery
Mark
AnswerID: 609621

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:42

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:42
Hi

No - not talking about the original discovery in 2013 or the discovery made by AWC at Diamantina National Park in late 2016 but another one this March (2017) in Goneaway National Park, west Qld.

New Qld (March 2017) Night Parrot Population

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879494

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:38

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:38
Yes this came up in my FB news feed too. Great to see their work published and shared widely today. Well done to your friends. Are you saying they aren't telling which salt lake? Could it be the one that is normally disappointing but full of water right now?
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609623

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:43

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:43
They wont tell me where but as far as I can figure its not that one.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879495

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 15:31

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 15:31
Michelle...tch tch tch....shame on you. You know what curiosity is reported to have done to a certain member of the feline persuasion....LOL

What a shame the late Harry Butler didn't live to see the day.

Cheers
Pop

FollowupID: 879500

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 14:24

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 14:24
Hi Greg

Thanks for that link. It was on the radio here in South Australia today and it is great to think that they are still alive and out there in the wild, and even better still over in WA.

Let's hope that the population numbers built up to give this special bird that special boost that it needs and it would be great to see them right across our desert systems.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609627

Reply By: rocco2010 - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 16:56

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 16:56
Great news, particularly with a picture like that as proof.

I did some volunteering on the relocation project at Lorna Glen a few years ago some months after a couple of Department of Parks and Wildlife guys "thought" they might have seen a night parrot driving back to the homestead one evening.

There were some monitoring devices set up but I never heard if anything came of it.

Hopefully this location is suitably remote and is not revealed until some proper study can be done.

Cheers

AnswerID: 609630

Sponsored Links