BLOWN TURBO ???

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 16:23
ThreadID: 134581 Views:3438 Replies:1 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Fri 31st I had planned to go to Jurien Bay to meet up with a mate, my wife & I left early 8.30, a 2 hour run, I decided to go the short route,on all the back dirt roads,all went well until 44km out in the back blocks of farmland,coming up a long hill,and about half way up my motor..GU Patrol 4.2td made a horrible metallic sound ,the motor died,and I coasted almost to the top of the hill,for the best chance of mobile coverage, I lifted the bonnet,and smoke poured out, when that cleared, I could see that there was radiator coolant everywhere,all hoses and belts were intact,I looked in the drivers side wheel arch and saw oil everywhere,same on passenger side,but not as bad,I rang the RAC who were dropping out due to the signal,but they despatched a tow truck from Wubin,they eventualy arrived after getting lost,in the meantime I had 2 farmers pull up to give a hand,they also looked over the vehicle no broken hoses anywhere,the motor still turns over....just, there opinion was that it has all the hallmarks of a blown turbo,anyway,the towtruck picked it up and took it to a very reputable mechanic in Miling 35km away,and the farmers insisted on giving me a lift 44km back home,where we picked up the wifes falcon and continued back to Jurien,along bitumen roads!, the workshop won`t be able to have a look at it till Tues, I guess I have to expect the worst & hope for the best, everyone I have spoken to & what I have read,it sounds like the turbo,I just hope that there has been no metal bits go into the motor,at worst a new motor & at least just a turbo and a bit of a head job,am I correct in my assessment?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Athol W1 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 17:03

Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 17:03
Ian

Unfortunately the presence of both coolant and oil, and the motor turning over..JUST, is probably the worst case scenario, as a blown turbo would be unlikely to cause the motor to be reluctant to turn over (either turn as normal or not turn due to metal on top of a piston).

I wish you all the best with the diagnosis, but I think that you will be given bad news.

Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 609860

Follow Up By: Member - Ian C26 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 17:13

Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 17:13
Thanks Athol,I thought it might be worse than I had hoped for, are you thinking I am up for a new motor??
FollowupID: 879730

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 17:26

Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 17:26
Ian

With both coolant and oil present in the engine bay, that was not there prior, then it indicates to me that there is some sort of failure of a component that contains both of these liquids. Without knowing exactly what turbo you have then the turbo housing may be destroyed by an internal failure, but if the turbo is not water cooled (as a lot of earlier type fitments were only oil cooled) then the next obvious place for a single failure to lose both oil and coolant would be the cylinder block , in which case most likely caused by a failed Con-Rod.

All the best for the diagnosis.
Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 879733

Follow Up By: Member - Ian C26 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 17:34

Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 17:34
Yes Athol, it is oil and water cooled,it is the 2000 st patrol.
FollowupID: 879734

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 17:51

Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 17:51
Ian
Without saying that it is not a turbo failure, my experience is that a turbo failure normally produces plenty of white/grey or blue smoke and a sudden loss of power, but not normally cause the engine to shut down.

Should it be the impeller (intake side) that has failed then there could/would be metal fragments go through the engine with the possible resulting piston and valve damage, and possably even cylinder damage.

If the failure is turbine (exhaust side) then the fragment of the wheel would pass out the exhaust without much chance of causing any damage, this would result in a sudden loss of power and probably plenty of blue smoke as the lube oil would be passing the turbo seal directly into the hot exhaust.

The sudden loss of power with a turbo failure is caused by the sudden loss of boost pressure.

Hope this helps.
Athol
FollowupID: 879735

Follow Up By: Member - Ian C26 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 18:10

Sunday, Apr 02, 2017 at 18:10
Thanks Athol,now I begin to understand the seriousness of it all,I will let you know the verdict next week.
FollowupID: 879737

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Thursday, Apr 06, 2017 at 19:59

Thursday, Apr 06, 2017 at 19:59
Ian

And the verdict is??????
Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 879888

Follow Up By: Member - Ian C26 - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 09:09

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 09:09
Well, it was the worst possible news,the mechanic called me yesterday and told me the water pump had blown and taken the motor out with it,the noise I heard was the piston grabbing the bore,there is extensive damage,meaning I am up for a new or exchange motor,or sell the car minus a motor, I have been given info about another motor for$1800 complete,I have to go down to Miling this morning to speak with the mechanic about the options,apparently, this is a problem for patrols,poor water pumps,this is why it never showed up on my temp gauge,the damage was immediate.
FollowupID: 879893

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 09:51

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 09:51
That can happen with a catastrophic loss of water, in fact the temp gauge is likely to drop a little. I often wonder why more vehicles don't have oil temperature gauges.

FollowupID: 879901

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 12:36

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 12:36
Or better still. A water level sensor fitted in the top tank of the radiator. I have one, it gives both visual (red LED) and audible (very loud noise maker) warning as soon as the level drops.

It also goes through a test procedure every time the engine is fired up.

A normal temp gauge, as Shaker has said, can even drop initially if there is a catastrophic loss of coolant.

Yeah I know, a bit late now but maybe for future reference.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 879903

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 13:15

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 13:15
Ian
Sorry the hear that it is a catastrophic loss, but your description of what occurred did indicate that to be the case.

Unfortunately a sudden and catastrophic loss of coolant will not show on a temp gauge, with the possible exception of a dropping gauge reading.

The best solution that I can suggest is the fitment of an ENGINE WATCHDOG, these are devices that read the actual metal temp and can be set with an overheat audible alarm which can save another similar incident. The probe goes under a suitable bolt on the engine, I suggest that it is fitted to a bolt on the cylinder head that is most likely to pick up the temp rise. It is necessary to fit the unit to a stable temp point as close to the exhaust can produce the alarm when just making the engine work (going up a long hill). A tappet cover bolt can be a good place so long as it is a short bolt. Do not use a thermostat bolt as these are too far from the heat source.

I have no association with any supplier, just a used of the product.

Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 879904

Follow Up By: Member - Ian C26 - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 18:55

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 18:55
Athol,unfortunatley I have been in discussions with the mechanic and various other 4wd experts,and the vehicle is now un economicaly repairable,I have this afternoon been down at Miling stripping the vehicle of HF radio,UHF radio,spotties etc,the cost of an exchange motor and wages is is the same or more than the value of the vehicle,and I am told ANY 4wd is subject to this same problem,unless you have a top of the range water pump,or something like what you have suggested,this is the finish of me with 4wd.
I wish you all the best with your travels & thanks for your responses.
Maybe I`ll buy a mini...ha,ha
FollowupID: 879921

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 20:54

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 20:54
That really surprises me, I was under the impression that GU 4.2TD were really hot property, I was also thinking that $1800 didn't seem a bad price for a motor.
It's a shame it's put you off 4wds because any car can have catastrophic failures, even BMWs break timing chains destroying their diesels!

FollowupID: 879923

Follow Up By: Member - Ian C26 - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 22:38

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 22:38
Yes $1800 is a good price but,remember you only get what you pay for,and this motor needed a full rebuild,and was at the top end of 600,000km so really,I was gaining a thing,actualy going backwards, any half decent motor,you would be looking at about the $5,000-6000 then you have all your labour on top of that,can make it a very expensive exercise.
Anyway,I had original only bought it to do a trip up the Canning which never eventuated,I had it for 4 years,I`ve enjoyed it.
FollowupID: 879930

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 09:32

Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 09:32
You read so many threads about where can I buy the cheapest, how can I save money etc etc, this is possibly the result of somebody saving money by buying the cheapest water pump!
I feel sorry for you, it's a damn shame.

FollowupID: 879942

Sponsored Links