The 4 types of waste water in – Caravan, 5th Wheeler, Motor Home:

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 12:09
ThreadID: 134662 Views:3925 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
The 4 types of waste water in – Caravan, 5th Wheeler, Motor Home:

Rain run off
Runs off your RV & down the street curb drain and usually out to the ocean.

Bathroom “light grey” - shower & hand basin
Most Queensland councils specify that it should be treated/filtered and can then be dumped on lawns etc. A DIY filtering system can be easily home made for next to nothing using a bucket and some Polly tubing.
Not all RV’s have light grey holding tanks so it must be discharged as used.
Most RV parks are relaxed about this and allow it to be dumped without filtering on grass etc.
The RV parks with what they call “grey water” dumps on each site are actually “sewer dumps” and so they comply with all waste water dumped in them

Kitchen “heavy grey” - inside and outside kitchen types
Most Queensland councils insist that this is directed to the sewer.
This seems to be a grey area [pardon the pun] with most RV parks, as not all Caravans have separate Bathroom & Kitchen plumbing systems, and therefore turn a blind eye to it being dumped on the grass etc.
Not all RV’s have heavy grey holding tanks so it must be discharged as used.
The RV parks with what they call “grey water” dumps on each site are actually “sewer dumps” and so they comply with all waste water dumped in them

Toilet “black water” – cassette & holding tank types
The two most common toilet collection systems are approx. 15 litre cassettes & 200 litre [with usually a 40 litre transfer dolly in case you need to empty some before leaving and using the central dump point] holding tanks. Both of these require chemical treatment and with the 200 litre holding tanks its advised to add a little chemical each day.

Caravans using the cassette system can retro fit to a holding tank system relatively easily – one wonders why the manufactures don’t fit them as standard on all vans over say 20’ as that way the owner can choose how they want to use them.

We suspect that they are saving around $50 on each caravan they sell as there is a trade off for the use of a non cassette toilet and the need to not use an outside access door.

Most RV parks direct you to dump in a central dump point although this is not technically necessary as most parks have only one dump point on each site and as by law it is a “sewer dump” to allow for the “heavy grey water” discharge from the kitchens.

The RV parks with what they call “grey water” dumps on each site are actually “sewer dumps” and so they comply with all waste water dumped in them.

Summary:
Most parks have only one dump point per site and this is usually a “sewer dump” to comply with the council’s regulations that all kitchen discharge must go down the sewer.

It’s may not be necessary to dump your black water cassette or dolly into the central dump point, as the dump point on each site all goes to the same place – the sewer.

Also it’s a lot cleaner than the black water discharged by the central toilet block as its been expensively chemically treated by you.

It’s our opinion that all 20 foot plus RV manufactures should be made to install holding tanks [Heavy & light grey combined plus a black] system capable of lasting a family at least a week, as is the direction in many counties.

Holding tanks can be from 50 litres to 200 litres and it’s not intended that one would travel with them full.

The above is for your information only and one should of course comply with all directions issued to you by the individual parks, we must assume that the mangers of the parks have studied up on this issue…..but in the absence of any direction it’s your call.

Your comments please ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mikee5 - Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 12:42

Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 12:42
Declare your interest in this please. Who are you and why do you need to know?
AnswerID: 610232

Reply By: John G46 - Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 12:53

Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 12:53
Mike said: Declare your interest in this please. Who are you and why do you need to know? John Replied: My interest is of a general & informative nature, my full profile is posted, if you have anything of interest please send it through

Regards John
AnswerID: 610233

Follow Up By: terryt - Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 16:13

Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 16:13
It appears you have come up with a different form of grey water. Why complicate life anymore than is needed.
FollowupID: 880152

Reply By: John G46 - Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 16:30

Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 16:30
Not my complication, its a rule of some councils, it seems that just soap fat can be easily filtered but no so for kitchen oils wast etc...as i said its mostly not enforced as yet.
AnswerID: 610236

Reply By: Mikee5 - Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 16:58

Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 16:58
Here is the rub: you say - 'you can read more in my caravan for sale ad.'
You are trying a novel way to bypass site rules and sell your caravan. This is not the place for that.
AnswerID: 610237

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 21:16

Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 21:16
I disagree with your promotion of holding tanks for all caravanners. Much easier to take a cassette or two (on a luggage trolley if you choose) than move your whole rig to the dump point. If there aren't dump points, you can empty a cassette into a public toilet, or take it for a 'burial' out in the desert, away from the road. You can't do this with an inbuilt tank. There have been many times when for us, a fixed tank would not have been useful.

Your idea of discharging your black water into your sullage pit at a caravan park will not endear you to your neighbours :O.

To quote you

"It’s our opinion that all 20 foot plus RV manufactures should be made to install holding tanks [Heavy & light grey combined plus a black] system capable of lasting a family at least a week, as is the direction in many counties."

As an individual member here, who it collaborating with you to quote a joint opinion?

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 610239

Follow Up By: John G46 - Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 09:05

Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 09:05
Morning MotherHen,

Thanks for your input.

I/we [being my wife and myself] see the addition of a holding tank just an option.

In your case with an 18 footer you may have a 50 liter holding tank, as in mentioned in my blog, you also should have a cassette/dolly on wheels as part of the package -

Now its your choice if you want to connect the transfer dolly to the holding tank and wheel it to wherever to dump [as you say you do now]

Or... as is allowed in "some parks" connect your holding tank,via the same hose [s] as your light & heavy grey water hose [s] directly to the sewer point at your site.

Or....you can wait until you are moving your van and dump directly to the sewer point in the park, or a council dump point, or if you have the facility at your home.

It just gives you more choice and trust me, on the occasions that your allowed to connect up right at your site its soooow much easier.

Note: The holding tank package normally includes a larger house 3 inches with a "push fit multi hole size discharge end" for a good seal at the dump point [for Black, light & heavy grey water] Plus a cassette/dolly on wheels when you need to empty before you leave the site or if there is no dumping allowed in your sites sewer point.

Because of the tight fitting hoses and chemical treating of the wast water there is no odor - A couple of picks are attached for your convenience

So its all about options - if the extra cost was negligible, there is no down side.

Wishing you and your family a very happy Easter Sunday

Cheers John [& Louise]

FollowupID: 880156

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 14:52

Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 14:52
Hi John. When we are on holidays, we don’t want added workload of decanting from a toilet fixed tank. :O. Nor do we want bending with bad backs to reach couplings under are caravan.

Yes, a fixed black water tank is an option that may suit some, but I urge readers to consider WEIGHT. In allowing for a full tank of 50 litres, that is up to 50 kilos of cargo you have to forego if you have a standard sort of payload allowance. If you go to a 200 litre tank, that is 200 kilos weight a fill capacity. A standard cassette at maximum holds only 20 litres, but we would be emptying at around half that on most occasions. You state John that you don’t have to travel with it full, but why have one if you do not intend to use it on occasions to its maximum capacity?

In addition to foregoing something from your packing, you also need to consider SPACE for the 50 litre tank. If it means going without a water tank, and you travel in drier and remote areas, the water is more important. You can find somewhere to safely dispose of your black water, but getting clean fresh water may not be as easy.

When we go to CARAVAN PARKS, we usually use their bathrooms, so putting toilet waste into the sullage pit would be a non event. It is also not broken up in a liquid state, as happens with movement when travelling, while you are stationary at a caravan park. The majority of caravan parks we have been to do not have sullage pits on site, but expect you to move your hose around within your site to maintain the grass.

Please read MyBlog on Toilet Chemicals. Most well informed caravanners choose environmentally friendly alternatives so we can dump in connections to septic tanks (as we do at home), or to do no harm if burying in the bush or desert sands.

MyBlog on Self Containment talks about sullage tanks on wheel as per your photo, for use as an option for grey water retaining and disposal. But you need the space to carry it, and if having to decant by car, be able to lift it when full as well as have the space. Finding a suitable place in your car or caravan would be all the harder if filled with toilet waste rather than shower and sink water.

But the most important point I can make is that of WEIGHT. Many caravans still have allowances which were the standard going back to pre-bathroom and caravan water tank days, with single axled caravans having a 300 kilo allowance and 400 for dual axled. Using some of your allowance to be able to carry around a tank full of toilet waste is not an option most would want to choose.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880159

Reply By: John G46 - Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 18:03

Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 18:03
Hi MotherHen

Thanks for the reply; I’ll keep mine short as most I have already said.

The connection of a hose to a holding tank is the same as you may be using now, except instead of a screw on connection the option is to have a quick couple connection as in my pick – so there should not be a mobility problem.

If your Van is very limited in its cargo capacity and the say 50 kilos would take you over, then you should not consider this portion unless you are willing to transfer the contents in a trip in the dolly [we keep ours spotlessly clean and stow in our boot]

Same goes for your tug, if it’s very marginal and 50 kilos would take it over. Then
the above would apply to you as well.

There are many types and sizes of tanks available and with some measuring it could be possible to find one that doesn’t require the removal of a water tank – if done at the manufacturing stage they can fingger it out, our tank is only about 4 inches deep.

BUT if you have a 50+ Kilos available in your van & capacity in your tow tug, somewhere to stash a SMALL dolly then you have this option.

As stated it’s a requirement by most Qld councils that only filtered light grey water be emptied on grass etc

And all heavy grey water MUST go into the sewer – this is not widely enforced ,but this could change.

Happy Easter Sun or what’s left of it

Cheers John
PS Some picks attached just FYI
AnswerID: 610258

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 17, 2017 at 22:02

Monday, Apr 17, 2017 at 22:02
I wonder how long the tyres on the light blue one would last on the highway all the way to the next town :O Lol.

My previous reply still stands John. Nothing further to add and nothing more to do for those of us who have made our choices.

You asked for comments and I gave you mine, whereas others first questioned your motives. We still do not know you motives in pushing what you see as the ideal setup. If it is good for you, stick with it. But no need to push it on others who do not want such an arrangement, be it retrofitting and all the changes that would require, or getting a fixed black water tanks as part of a new build.

Pushing for black water tanks on caravans is a suppose a change from those pushing for others to have grey water tanks fitted, Lol.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880204

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:12

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:12
"I wonder how long the tyres on the light blue one would last on the highway all the way to the next town :O Lol."

Ha ha. I don't think you'd need to be worrying about emptying it when you discovered that little error :)
FollowupID: 880216

Reply By: Nutta - Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 20:05

Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 20:05
The only reason councils may change it maybe because of the constant waffle by do-gooders and others picking it up and running with it.
My opinion anyway.
AnswerID: 610265

Reply By: John.G - Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 20:17

Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 20:17
Don't shoot the messengers Nutta LOL
AnswerID: 610267

Sponsored Links