HEMA HN6 Map Update: Worthwhile?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 17:18
ThreadID: 134787 Views:5827 Replies:4 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Hema HN6, bought in 2012.

I see on the Hema website that there is a map update for $75. This includes a whole bunch of good stuff, which I believe is already on the device but not as up to date as some of these new maps.

However, I think that the basic map that most of us would use while touring, the 1:250 thou map, has been changed to another one with a different scale.

Can someone confirm this and give me there opinions please?

Also, I have the Western Australia Road & 4WD Atlas maps on it but it has a glitch. I put these maps on myself. When the device tracks from one page to another it is not seamless and it defaults back to another map. I spoke to Hema about this a couple of years ago and they said that these maps in digital form was not a product of theirs.

Does anyone else experience this and has anyone found a solution to stop this change between pages?

Cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 17:55

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 17:55
Hello Mr Bush

RE: WA Road & 4wd Atlas.

I have a copy of this and while I dont use it on a Hema device (dont have one) it seems to work OK on PC Ozi. Have you loaded the ozf2 format of the maps or the ecw version? I am thinking that if a map from another map set opens when you cross the loaded map's boundary that the corner markers for the map (part of the calibration file) are not correct or you have the settings in Ozi set to load a more "detailed" (i.e. larger scale) map....though I could have interpreted your comments incorrectly as some ambiguity exists.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 610771

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 21:30

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 21:30
Thanks Greg,

I'll plow through all that info, cheers.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880750

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 22:28

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 22:28
ozf2 maps, Greg.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880753

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 22:39

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 22:39
Ok

So what actually happens? Another map set opens when you cross a map boundary or somethng else.? The maps are not "seamless" i.e. they are a whole series of map tiles (sheets) that (should) open in Ozi as you cross the map boundary.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880754

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 22:54

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 22:54
When I am using the WA 4WD Atlas maps I might be, for the sake of this discussion, travelling west in map pages 68-69. The next pages in a westerly direction are pages 66-67.

When I get to the edge of map page 68 it looks exactly like it does in the book. I can see the little yellow symbol with "67" inside it and then there is a small section of blank white (the edge of the page in the book) and then when I would expect it to transit to page 67, another map appears. Usually it is a finer detail map even though I have not selected that option (it is unticked).

So every time I go "off the page" I have to select Find Maps and then select, in this case, map pages 66-67.

I have to point out that all these maps within the WA 4WD Atlas set of maps are listed individually as 2 page maps in the appropriate section of the memory card. So maybe that's where the fault, if it is a fault, arises.

It's annoying, and I'm wondering if I have simply overlooked something in the setup.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880755

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 08:17

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 08:17
Ok - sounds like Ozi isnt bothering to look for the next map in teh series and so opens another.

Firstly check that he folder where the maps are located on the SD is listed in your preferred "map image folders" list (in settings some where... cant remember where) and then also "index" the maps.

Can't think of any other reasons why it would work.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880762

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 19:00

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 19:00
Hi Gone Bush

First of all before you can get the new maps to work on the HN6 is to do a firmware upgrade, which is dead easy and just follow their instructions from their website.

I only did the 1:150k update and did not worry about the other maps, and from memory it was only about $50, and no more and was a great investment.

It is far better than the previous 1:250k map and it is up to date, and it does not matter where in Australia you use it, the map is spot on and very accurate. Like other didital maps, I also loaded a copy onto my computer and use it with Ozi.

So in a nutshell, it was not a waste of money and can recommend you getting it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 610774

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 19:43

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 19:43
Horses for courses. IME the new 150 K is not reliable on the Vic high country. The old Hema map has errors of years standing that made it to the new map.
FollowupID: 880747

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 20:53

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 20:53
Hi Sigmund

That is very interesting, as I thought that Hema would have picked that up with all their field checks.

I can only comment for outback South Australia, Flinders Ranges, Murray Sunset National Park in Victoria and the lower half of the Northern Territory.

Have you made contact with them regarding the errors?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880748

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 21:33

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 21:33
Thanks Stephen,

When you have a moment can you check something for me on the 1:150K map pls?

Go to Northam, just east of Perth, and see if it depicts a ring road skirting around Northam to the north.

It's the Grt Eastern Hwy and it's been there for at least 30 years and it's not on the 1:250K map. Pees me off when I see I'm driving through the bush.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880751

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 22:05

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 22:05
"Pees me off when I see I'm driving through the bush."

I love it :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880752

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 04:57

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 04:57
Stephen, I don't bother as several posters here say they've notified Hema with no result.

And the curious thing is that some of those errors don't appear on the 4WD High Country map.

Yes, they do checking but is that anything more than driving around with a GPS on? Only on some roads and tracks; omitting naming, gates, track classification, hut location and so on.

Of course every map will have errors. Hema has more than the others though. For our High Country, Rooftops are excellent - paper only.
FollowupID: 880759

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 08:26

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 08:26
Gone Bush

Is this what you are after?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880763

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 09:14

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 09:14
That's it Stephen, thanks.

I might have to prise open my wallet.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880764

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 09:46

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 09:46
Stephen can you post a link to the page on Hema's website showing how to do a firmware upgrade please?

I'm blowed if I can find it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880765

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 10:14

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 10:14
Gone Bush

ThatNortham bypass also is missing from the free map you get with Memory Map!

I know that is an old map, but that old?

At least it has Roe Highway through Canningvale "under construction".

Cheers
FollowupID: 880767

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 14:33

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 14:33
Hi Gone Bush

Like I said above, I only purchased the new 1:150k map and you can still get that only for the $50

I think this is the page that gave me the update HN6 Ozi Update

I will look further, but it will give you a good starting point.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880771

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 14:45

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 14:45
Cheers, thanks Stephen.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880772

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 21:00

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 21:00
Keep in mind there is also EOTopo which is also up to date in that area ......

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880789

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 21:31

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 21:31
Hi Greg

Yes it is true that there is EOTopo.....but there is going to be a major update coming out in the future. I do like the colour details on EOTopo, but for me there one far more important issue.

The issue that I encounter when using it is the accuracy of the map. I have contacted David a number of times regarding these issues .

Many of the areas that I have driven have you driving on non roads, compared to the Hema 1:150 that has you driving on the road.

One such very good example of this is the Birdsville Track that has many sections that are too far out for my likings.

Just my thoughts and as I have always said, if you are not going to improve the accuracy of future map updates, it is a waste of time.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880792

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, May 05, 2017 at 08:25

Friday, May 05, 2017 at 08:25
Of course map retailers are sourcing their base data probably from the same place. GA satellite surveys maybe, which aren't going to be updated regularly.

My impression from driving the Birdsville over the years is that there has been a number of realignments.

All that aside, it's a very good idea to check some samples of maps you're thinking of buying, that cover areas you know. It will give you some grip on whether they'll meet your needs.

For mine, 150 K is just too small a scale. A lot happens in small distances in the terrain that I really need to navigate in.
FollowupID: 880800

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 11:34

Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 11:34
Have you considered the EOTopo map. Cost is about $85.
I loaded it on the Hema 18 months ago and it suits me.
Hardly ever need to change to the Hema Maps that came with the device.

On our current trip have noticed a couple of deviations in the displayed road map in WA goldfields area but that is probably down to changed road route.
Nothing to get over excited about.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 610845

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 13:49

Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 13:49
Thanks Bill,

yes I have looked at that.

It's certainly worth a closer look.

It's good to have the choice.

Cheers, thanks.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880845

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 20:02

Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 20:02
I really despair at the HEMA website.

I don't consider myself to be a computer dummy, but it has got me beat.

I'm trying to purchase the map update which is the subject of this Thread.

I'm prompted to Create an Account before I can finalise the purchase. So I enter my name etc but the website requires me to enter a "Login/Customer Number".

How on earth do I get one of these when I can't complete the process that, in other websites, would result in an auto reply email with those details, which I could then use to complete my Account creation.

I've sent a "Ticket" asking this question but it's the weekend so I guess I will have to wait til sometime next week.

It makes me wonder if the staff at Hema have actually ever used their own website.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 610857

Sponsored Links