Madigan line permit. Do we need one or not?

Submitted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 19:23
ThreadID: 134844 Views:5167 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We have researched but need advice about which camps you can visit with no permit, which require a permit and which are off limits. Can someone with accurate recent experience please help.
Thanks, Christine and Lindsay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 20:03

Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 20:03
The TO's don't really want anyone to travel to camps 2,3 & 4. Otherwise you need a permit for ALL the camps in NT. One is not supposed to "stray" off the track by more than 50M, which is supposed to stop people travelling to the Geocentre & Geosurveyors Hill.

Go onto the Central Land Council website here, go to permits and click on Permit to Enter(Entry Permit it's called). Might be worth giving them a ring too, as they were most helpful when we rang last year.

Probably good etiquette to ring Andado Station too, before you travel through there. From memory the permit asks you to do this too. Phone: 08 89560804

Other than that just take your time, and enjoy. From Camp 13 to near Camp 15 this is mandatory, it's pretty slow going.

If going on from Camp 16, on Hay River track, to Camps 17-23 through Allendale, you also need to contact Adria Downs(07 46563321). Probably ring Don Rowlands at National Parks in Birdsville too, as you'll be travelling through Simpson Desert NP.

Finally, think that's about it. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611048

Follow Up By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 21:27

Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 21:27
Thanks Bob,
This is great info
Much appreciated.
C&L
FollowupID: 881028

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 21:54

Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 21:54
Ha ha, just went through the procedure last night, as we are heading that way in July and want to get a group permit.

Just another bit of info. When we went into Mac Clark Acacia Peuce Reserve, it was quite wet at the bore near the access gate to go to the Reserve. As well, we had rather ambiguous directions to travel onto the Madigan. After probably an hour, we travelled around the outside of the paddock, to the left of the bore, and followed a station track until we hit the Madigan.

Here's a pic of our tracks in that area. :-)

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881031

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 22:34

Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 22:34
We found that too Bob, was confusing getting yarded into Mac Clarke :D

Ended up driving from the east corner clockwise back to the gate, then followed outside the southern and eastern boundaries up to the track at that eastern corner.

Was well worth driving in of course to view the acacia peuce trees.
Look forward to this again in less than a few weeks :)

PS. you missed East Bore then ? You can see it his time round. Twice !
FollowupID: 881033

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 12, 2017 at 05:34

Friday, May 12, 2017 at 05:34
Yeah, we did the clockwise bit in the paddock too, Les, but went left once outside. :-). Your route would have been the better one. Think the addendum was a typed slip of paper inserted into one of those handy travel booklets? Too early in the day to remember........or too old!

Off to Birdsville in the morning, back Monday. Pity I hadn't finished my new wiring set up, would have been a good test for it. Not long now!!!

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881036

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, May 12, 2017 at 06:56

Friday, May 12, 2017 at 06:56
We were just lucky Bob, no amendments we saw anywhere, but there was a fairly good set of wheels pads so we went with it.

Safe travels mate, they'll know you by name in BV soon !! :D

I have quick Melb run with some goods early the week before departure, in among all the preps, time is going to be just ok I feel, just have to keep up now !! :)
FollowupID: 881037

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, May 12, 2017 at 08:41

Friday, May 12, 2017 at 08:41
I forgot the bloody addendum or lost it. Was thinking of stapling it to the book but didn't!!!!

We went anticlockwise.

Great drive and need to go back.

Phil
FollowupID: 881040

Sponsored Links