Road update Boulia - Birdsville

Submitted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 08:55
ThreadID: 134879 Views:3382 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Travelled down to Birdsville last Saturday, and back home on Monday.

Pleased to report the short section of gravel at Marion Downs, has finally been sealed. This means there is bitumen from Boulia to Glengyle Station, south of Bedourie.

There still remains, if my maths is correct, about 50-55kms of gravel in sections from Glengyle to Birdsville. The gravel varied from very good to excellent, though this would be constantly changing.

Weather was mild, with temps from about 14° - 29°. Saw a group of Earthcruisers at the Birdsville van park. They had recently come across the Madigan from Mt Dare, so Facebook tells me.

Many folk may remember the old ablution trailer at the southern end of the van park? It has been shifted out to the sports ground, and in its place are a number of shower units. Seem to recall there was about 4-6 buildings. Ready for the BRB & Races onslaught.

Mother Nature didn't disappoint, with fair sort of sunset on Sunday, and a small, but impressive sunrise on Monday, as I made my way home.

And for any V8 Landcruiser owners, I used 136L from Birdsville to Winton. Not the best economy, but there was some good head/crosswinds for most of the day. And I didn't stop to smell many roses!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 9 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 14:22

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 14:22
Hi Bob

Thanks for the update. Hope you are going well and it must not be long now before you get back out into that red sand country...........I know, it's a hard job, but someone has to do it......lol

All the Best.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 611163

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 19:59

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 19:59
A hard job alright Stephen! I must have been the only one to "volunteer". :-)

Leave in a week, to meet the rest of the party at Mt Dare at month's end. Can't wait, but plenty to do yet.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881188

Reply By: Member - Odog - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 17:09

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 17:09
G'day Bob, yep, I have seen the earth crusiers on face book also. Think when we came across lake Poeppel last year, we must have been in some earth cruiser tracks or ruts.. my prado is a bit wider as a result.. ha.. cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 611165

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:04

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:04
Yeah Odog, Lake Poeppel is a bit of a nemesis for me too! And a lot of other people as well, I'd suggest. :-)

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881189

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 19:46

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 19:46
Thanks Bob, we changed our mind at the Curry after swapping some outrageous tales with my old mate and came down to Birdsville. As you said the road is tops from the north. Nearly went west but will do so when we go back to the Isa.

Had a small storm through tonight and hopefully not much to follow or we might become locals. Ha.Ha. I don't think there will be much in it though. Well as I write it has just started to rain lightly again,. Hopefully just enough to settle the dust.

Looks like they are planning to bitumen more road south of Bedourie, and they also look like they are also planning that for Birdsville to Big Red by the way they are forming the road. We also couldn't believe the new digs in the town, it might even reach 150 citizens shortly.
AnswerID: 611167

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:12

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:12
Well, you get about don't you, Slow! Did I pass you on Monday, or did you travel down later?

Yeah, always seems to be something new in Birdsville. They might be doing up the Big Red road for the BRB in July? If you're still there on 26th, I'll have a sherbet or two with you. Going across the QAA/French Line leaving Birdsville on 27th.

Travel safe,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881190

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:36

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:36
Bob, yes to many years on the road, I gotta put a leg rope on that accelerator pedal.

No, would have missed you as we came down Tuesday and will be leaving tomorrow (weather permitting) storms are still floating around, but so far falls are light. I will send info about the weather and the roads if there is any heavy falls.

At the moment storms are still coming, but the falls are light were we are. 10k up the track might be a different story though.

Someone sad to me you won't get out of Birdsville and I said yes I will. The optimist and the pessimist.

Keep it safe (young) one and don't stop burning diesel.
FollowupID: 881191

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 08:52

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 08:52
What's the weather like this morning, Slow?

See Birdsville had 10.4mm last year. Bet the van park is a bit sticky..........and cold?

Getting the ute serviced in Longreach today. Cool easterly wind blowing here and clear sky.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881199

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 20:03

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 20:03
Wasn't to bad Bob, I just floated over the top in my favourite driving shoes., double pluggers, missus reckons I will be buried in them.

Rolled out this morning before they shut the road and I should have received at least a $1 a kilometre for carting mud from outside Birdsville to Bedourie. I tipped it at the wash down bay in Bedourie without charge.

Went to the shire office in Bedourie and let them know the road was reasonable with a bit of slippy, slidey on those clay sections.

They opened the road at the Bedourie end not long after I told them it would be ok by the time others got to the slippy sections but they didn't open it at Birdsville until 11.30. Sometimes I have a horrible feeling about a captive audience and I do mean captive. Especially when they were carting gravel out on the Big Red road in triples that morning.

FollowupID: 881224

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 19:55

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 19:55
Thanks Bob, we changed our mind at the Curry after swapping some outrageous tales with my old mate and came down to Birdsville. As you said the road is tops from the north. Nearly went west but will do so when we go back to the Isa.

Had a small storm through tonight and hopefully not much to follow or we might become locals. Ha.Ha. I don't think there will be much in it though. Well as I write it has just started to rain lightly again,. Hopefully just enough to settle the dust.

Looks like they are planning to bitumen more road south of Bedourie, and they also look like they are also planning that for Birdsville to Big Red by the way they are forming the road. We also couldn't believe the new digs in the town, it might even reach 150 citizens shortly
AnswerID: 611168

Sponsored Links