Oodnadatta Track Camp Ground Water Availability

Submitted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 19:45
ThreadID: 134883 Views:4501 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Quick question guys, I intend on taking a 20ltr water container with me, however is water available to top up the container at the camp grounds on the Oodnadatta Track (I.E. William Creek, Marree, Oodnadatta, Coward Springs etc.)? Or will I need to take more water with me?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:05

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:05
Hi Chris

The simple question is no, not unless you like Bore water that is very high in minerals and not what you use for drinking.

Best bet is to leave your 20 litre bulky water container at home and take 6 or more 10 litre Spring water cartons. That way once used, you can burn the empty box and gives you more room in your vehicle.

For washing dishes etc, we take around 10 2 litre PET bottle from home and that way you have 2 sources of emergency water I'd needed.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611169

Follow Up By: Chris. - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:37

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 20:37
Thanks for your help Stephen, after reading your blog I was hoping you'd respond here. Appreciate the feedback, the disposable cartons are a great idea. I have a fridge in the Pajero so I'll also have bottled drinking water.
FollowupID: 881192

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 21:51

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 21:51
? I live in Bunbury WA and all the water here is "bore" water...what is the issue with "minerals". Don't they sell "mineral water" in shops at elevated prices :)

Wonder what the locals drink at William Creek, Oodnadatta etc - surely not imported bottle water? Have been to these places and dont recall the drinking water out of taps in the camp grounds being an issue. More a personal preference than anything I suspect.

Some "bore" water does taste "different" but not sure the towns mentioned would be suffering through bad water i.e. no need to turn your car into a water tanker when travelling these well frequented tourist routes.

My suggestion (unless you have a high sensitivity to "bore" water) would be to take your 20 litre "bulky water container" and fill it up as required instead of the 6 x 10 litre non bulky water containers suggested elsewhere.

Bemused.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 881195

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 21:52

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 21:52
water filter
FollowupID: 881196

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 22:40

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 22:40
Hi Greg

As you know, there is bore water, and then there is bore water.

When we lived out of Clare when we were kids, that was all we had, and it was real sweet and good quality water and was only down less that 3 metres. The bore water along the Oodnadatta Track comes from hundreds of metres down, and quite often is even too salty for stock to drink.

At William Creek and it would be better to drink sea water. You will not get you shampoo or soap to lather up, clean your teeth and you will think it is salt water......so no good for drinking and never to be used in your vehicle.

Go to Oodnadatta and they sell the 10 litre Spring water by the pallet load, as again the water is still very poor in quality.

As for only taking 20 litres as you suggest, that is no where near enough for any serious bush trip. When we head away on our bush trips, we are always fully prepared and depending how remote the trip is, carry between 80 to 100 litres of water, spread over many containers, so it can be distributed evenly in the car and in the foot wells in the back to keep the weight down low.

Each to their own, but we have ventured out into our remote parts of South Australia too many times and go as Boy Scouts do........prepared.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881197

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:53

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:53
Hi

The OPs question was simple - can you top up a water container (presumably for drinking) at the main towns/managed campgrounds along the Odnadatta Track - simple answer is - Yes you can. Fair enough to point out its "bore" water but suspect most would find it palatable. If you have high sensitivities and a low tolerance to any thing different then by all means stock up with Mt Franklin.

I never suggested that he should take just 20 litres. I just said it was possible to fill his 20 litre container with water at the locations mentioned - I provided no other advice. There was no information provided that indicated he was doing a "serious bush trip" or that he needed lots of soft water for a good lather up out in the scrub.

The actual volume of water required would of course be dependant on the number of people, where they planned on going, where they were staying, time of year, how many lathery shows needed per day, etc etc. For drinkng alone a total of ~20 litres is probably the bare minimum you should have in your car (for two people) if staying on the track and travelling between the main campsites (though would suggest having enough to drink while keeping the majority for emergency) which may well be the OPs intention....or maybe not.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881207

Follow Up By: Chris. - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 12:07

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 12:07
sorry guys I should point out its just me & my dog going, the water is for drinking only, if I need a wash I'll use the showers that are available at the camp grounds. I'm travelling the track from Marree to Marla, then heading up to Alice.
FollowupID: 881208

Follow Up By: Dion - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 14:15

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 14:15
Like Stephen, I'm a big advocate for taking boxed water over 20L containers.
Buy the 10L boxed water from large supermarkets, like Coles or Woolies, $3.85 I think the going price is at the moment. For less than $25, that gives 60L of good potable water.
As they are used, the cardboard boxes can be burned. The bladders can be saved, and can be re-used. They can be stowed full of water even if the box is long gone, they are quite hardy. (Try jumping on an inflated 10L bladder, I bet London to a brick you'll be off to ER with a busted ankle).
As also stated above, 10L containers of boxed water can easier be distributed down low, and from side to side as required to keep the vehicle 'in trim'.
There is a lot of inbuilt redundancy in 6 x 10L boxes of water, than one or two 20L containers.
I've not traveled with water containers for quite some time, boxed water at the cheap price it is available at, you just can't go past it.
FollowupID: 881249

Reply By: DiggZ - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 22:17

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 22:17
Depends more on how many people and how long to do the trip!
AnswerID: 611173

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 09:33

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 09:33
The 10lt casks are the way to go, another advantage is you can spread the weight around more in the loaded vehicle.
On outback desert trips, we typically take our on board 60lt water tank with rain water, and then 2 x 10lt casks as a back up and use these for topping off drink bottles for daily use.
AnswerID: 611174

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 13:54

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 13:54
If you find bore water not to your taste try carrying a bottle of good quality lime juice cordial. It does improve the palatability of bore water.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 611179

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 18:07

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 18:07
A good quality rum will further enhance the taste of the bore water & lime juice. Bickfords Lime Juice cordial would be my preference.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881217

Sponsored Links