Caravan storage for Simpsons Desert loop

Submitted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 15:16
ThreadID: 134938 Views:3819 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
My wife and I are trying to plan a Simpson Desert crossing solo in July whilst travelling North between Adelaide and Darwin.
Plan:
Travel Simpson Desert West to East along French line.
Return south via Birdsville Track and then north west by Oodnatta track.
or via the northern Plenty Highway back to the centre.
We want to drop the 14ft van somewhere before driving out to Finke and without to much of a detour to pick it back up again.
I'm interested to see if people have done similar or what people have done and where they have left their vans.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wendys - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 19:33

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 19:33
We left our van stored at MacDonnell Ranges Caravan Park in Alice Springs. Then went to Palm Valley, down the Finke Gorge via Boggy Hole to the Giles Rd, east to the highway, then across the Hugh Stock Route to Maryvale and out to Chambers Pillar. Backtracked to the Old Ghan Track, to Finke, then across to Mt Dare, Dalhousie Springs, across Simpson via Rig Rd, AAK Track, French Line to Birdsville, then north to Boulia and back across the Plenty to Alice and the van. Was a good circuit over some 3 weeks.
AnswerID: 611383

Reply By: Lukeglasso - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 20:53

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 20:53
Thank you Wendy for that information. Your route is spot on what I would like to do and mimicking it will most likely become reality.

I have read that the BIG4 MacDonnell Ranges Caravan Park is a safe option therefore we will be doing that.
AnswerID: 611387

Follow Up By: wendys - Friday, May 26, 2017 at 19:23

Friday, May 26, 2017 at 19:23
On the way back to Alice, our original intention was to drive the Cattlewater Pass Track from Gemtree area, south, then go camp at Ruby Gap and Arltunga, without the van. That bit didn't happen because I came down with "flu the night we camped at Tobermory station.
FollowupID: 881481

Reply By: ian - Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 01:05

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 01:05
Luke
I think that after you have crossed the Simpson you will want to go back the same way, with maybe a couple of other tracks instead of the french line.
ian
AnswerID: 611394

Reply By: Lukeglasso - Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 18:03

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 18:03
Thanks Ian

After sleeping on it a few days doing a second pass is exactly what we'll be doing.

We will shoot the French Line from Mt.Dare to Birdsville and return down the Birdsville track to the WRB junction, North to the Rig Road via Lone Gum and back to Mt.Dare to pick up the van. Should make a great trip with what I would expect about 9 nights return with one night in Birdsville!

AnswerID: 611546

Sponsored Links