Carnarvon to Mt Augustus

Submitted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 19:18
ThreadID: 134975 Views:3297 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone done the trip from Carnarvon to Mt Augustus via Gascoyne Junction lately.

We are looking at doing this run soon and were wondering what the Dairy road to the old Cobra Stn is like and how long was the journey?

We will not be towing anything.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Pop
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dean K3 - Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 19:43

Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 19:43
Gryphen thread id : 134765

Maybe able to assist he/they up that way around about now or similar area. - as per when they read Ozi is another matter !

Can only comment on my trip that route back in sept/oct last year was generally ok certainly a cleared line to adhere to to prevent tyre damage - but that's expected on northern WA roads always have two spares to be safe no fuel or services between gassy and mt augustus whatsoever

Maps may indicate cobra and then burringurrah south of mt augustus have fuel but that's incorrect since 2010 -2011 era

give yourself a good day to do full length from carnarvon to mt augustus using that route and it will be a long day !

Or ideally better still stay night at gassy go to kennedy ranges (short 40kms north) following morning then take northern loop around via mt sandiman ullawarra gifford creek and come out just west of cobra then into mt augustus- that route is actually the main road gazetted way (read green highway info signs)
AnswerID: 611496

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 21:52

Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 21:52
Thanks Dean. I haven't done that trip yet so first time. I spoke to a lady from the resort at Mt Augustus when we booked our stay and the Dairy road was the one she recommended hence my query. Not saying her advice was in question but IMO nothing wrong with getting other opinions.
I have 160 lt of diesel in tanks and will take a couple of extra jerries. I will refuel at GJ anyway so fuel should not be a problem. I have 2 spares and the gear to plug or patch if needed.
I intend allowing a day travelling there, a day back, and a day in between to look around.
I was going to make a few inquirers at Carnarvon and GJ as we went as well about road conditions.

Cheers
Pop

FollowupID: 881546

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 16:29

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 16:29
Hi Pop,

We also did it last August/Sep in reverse. No problems at all. In fact we found all the roads we travelled in WA to be in very good condition but we all know things can change.

Do not miss Kennedy Range NP - spectacular.

Spend plenty of time at Mt Augustus and do some of the walks, they will take you to special places.

Enquire if the Long Table Dinner is on again. If possible, go. We met wonderful, interesting people there who had travelled huge distances to attend, and we had lots of fun.

Enjoy
AnswerID: 611542

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 19:40

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 19:40
Hi guys, thanks for your reply.

This trip to Mt Augustus is a bit of a last minute decision that has been included in our trip to see our son and his family in the Pilbara. We take the journey at least once and sometimes twice a year. Every time we do it we pass the turnoff and promise ourselves that we must make some time to visit on one of our trips north.
We are on a bit of a time limit as we need to be there for the school holidays this time.
Unfortunately we have only allowed enough time to spend about 3 days on the excursion with 2 days being allowed to get from Carnarvon to there and back and a day to look around. Maybe next trip we will allow enough time to spend extra days and explore the area properly including the Kennedy Ranges.
How long did the journey from Carnarvon to Mt Augustus take??

Once again thanks for your input

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 881590

Sponsored Links