Out of the way Kakadu

Submitted: Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 17:52
ThreadID: 135137 Views:2607 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We will be returning to Kakadu from Shady Camp in August and are looking for a less well known place to stay for a few days. We usually stay at Gunlom as it is reasonably quiet but wonder if anyone has a remote favorite. We are in a Prado with an off road hybrid.
Cheers
Noels and Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 00:14

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 00:14
Why not go down the old Jim Jim rd - the original track into the cattle station. This will take you into the back way. When you get to the South Aligator crossing take the track north going into the heart of Kakadu before crossing the river- if the gate is open. I have been there a couple of times and camped. Good fishing with a boat. Not many people go that way. Just a few fishermen. I towed my boat in there.
The old Jim Jim track is just past Annabarroo.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 612094

Reply By: noelene/peter b - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 09:17

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 09:17
Sounds good, is the gate a problem?
N
AnswerID: 612102

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:30

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:30
Red Lilly, Bucket and Alligator Billabong are open from the Arnhem Hwy 2kms before the Kakadu Aurora Resort, the Barringtonia crossing just passed Alligator Billabong is 1 mtr deep at present.

Other out of the way places ar Koolpin Gorge (Jarranbarnmi) Permit Application.

Maguk, Jim Jim and Twin Falls.

2 mile hole is open now, 4 mile hole will open soon and West Alligator Head will be late July this year. These are fishing places and remember we suggest you use a 3.8 mtr boat or large.

Or go to Bowali visitor centre and ask the guys there.
FollowupID: 882149

Reply By: Diamondaze - Thursday, Jul 06, 2017 at 16:11

Thursday, Jul 06, 2017 at 16:11
We've just completed Kakadu. We prefer out of the way quiet spots. The best one we stayed in was at Maguk. 12$ per night. 1st night we were the only ones there. Second night there was about 6 others. There are really only 8-10 sites there and they are well spaced out and private. There are drop toilets. (Bit stinky). But hey it's a toilet with paper supplied. Worth the walk up to the plunge pool.
The road in is not for "shiny campers". Its very corrugated and Sandy in patches with a rocky creek (dry) crossing. We got our lifted Jayco Freedom In No problems - even made a mistake and drove right out to the start of the walking track with the van on through deep sand. The sign is missing that points to the campground but further up the track is a sign that says "camp in marked bays" or something like that. Just look up any tracks you see and you will find it. Very nice. Nothing but a toilet and fire pits.
AnswerID: 612382

Sponsored Links