Wollondilly Camping

Submitted: Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:52
ThreadID: 13522 Views:3615 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Not exactly 4WD experience, but we wanted to try out the Troopy (a pre loved model) and our new camping equipment.

We had been camping on the Wollondilly River over 35 years ago and thought it a pretty spot to go to and within a short driving distance of Sydney. It is now called the Wollondilly River Station and a small camping fee is charged. There are toilets and somewhere a shower which we didnt see. We found a nice spot and settled down. No much wood around but MOTH insisted we would have a fire and put in a lot of effort finding some. This was to prove very useful as when he went to get the gas fire ready, the adaptor connection had been left behind. Dinner was a stirfry so there was no problem cooking this on the open fire. We had expected it to be a bit colder than on the coast where we live so had taken the right kind of clothing it was -4C during the night, also my hip flask of black sambucca and the bottle of port took the chill out of the air. The trusty fire was on at first light and hot coffee beside it and the river was a lovely way to start the day even if it was still only 6C at 10 a.m.

Going home we stopped where they had tunnelled the road through the rock and met another Troopy, fitted out to perfection so of course we had a lovely half hour as they showed their us improvements, like us they were testing it before going on a bigger adventure. I think the nice people you meet and how everyone wants to help each other is a great bonus in this world.

C in a Troopy
Life is what you make it

For images: [ View Image]

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:56

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:56
Cina Troopy,

Pleased you are able to continue the learning experiences and actually be out there doing it. Am about to do the same here a little more extensively to Birdsville and the Simpson.

Take care and keep learning. Yes, I viewed your pic too. Have fun and soon you may want to be a member with the EO wheel cover.
AnswerID: 62036

Follow Up By: Cina Troopy - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 17:38

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 17:38
Looks like quite a few who post in this forum are travelling similar to you JohnR, will be fun if you meet up with them, you will certainly be noticed. MOTH is a little conservative not sure about him having those wheel covers, LOL. I need him to join to put in all the technical details.

C in a Troopy
Life is what you make it
FollowupID: 323444

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:04

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:04
C - the place looks absolutely serene - could you please give more info on how to get there?
Thanks
Pete
AnswerID: 62039

Follow Up By: flappan - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:48

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:48
Head to Goulburn.

Goulburn to Taralga.

Taralga towards Oberon. Cant remember how far out of Taralga . . . 15k's or so , right turn off main road towards Wombeyan Caves.

At Wombeyan Caves , drive about half way along the camp ground road , and left turn (just after the Camp Kitchen) and head towards Mittagong. Again, from memory , WRS is about 20k's along that road. ITs a left turn into the property. If you cross over the river on a causeway , you have gone about 1km too far (from the office that is . . . thats still part of the property).
FollowupID: 323420

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:57

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:57
Thanks Flappan.
FollowupID: 323555

Reply By: Cina Troopy - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:23

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:23
Pete

Its lovely BUT it is dog friendly, several around us had dogs, I believe there will be fireworks for the long week end, not sure of the limitations in here, we picked up a brochure in a camping shop, the longer way but better road is via goulburn towards wombeyan caves and continue past them or the rougher road is via for you turn off the highway just before mittagong towards wombeyan caves road and about 45K along the road. There is another place which is a Naturalist ;) one before you get to this one, friends have enjoyed this place, its just a matter of preferences. To go to the one in the photo you go as far as the river crossing and you will see signs pointing to "the office" just a bit up the hill. Here is the web link, I trust its ok to put this in. No doubt I will get told if I shouldn't.

link text

§ea™ in a Troopy
Life is what you make it

AnswerID: 62041

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 17:05

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 17:05
It's ok to put the link in
FollowupID: 323438

Follow Up By: Cina Troopy - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 18:13

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 18:13
Thanks I wouldnt want to cause a problem especially being a newie. Nice to see some other Sydney Siders in here, lots of Victorians I noticed.

C in a Troopy
Life is what you make it
FollowupID: 323452

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:58

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:58
Thanks C - I think I might check this place out on the coming long weekend.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 323556

Follow Up By: Cina Troopy - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:20

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:20
Pete
I would advise picking up some wood if you see any and have the room, thats if your into campfires as the wood situation is very scarce around the sites. We had a lovely quiet weekend but I think it could be a lively place at times by looking at the web site, the long weekend didn't suit us which is why we went last weekend instead, we enjoy it either way social or quiet.

C in a Troopy
Life is an adventure
FollowupID: 323656

Sponsored Links