Which car?

I have read enough of these to know I am opening a can of worms ...but...

I am in the process of choosing a 4wd - family of 5 wife and I and 3 boys (15, 12, 10) Youngest has been sick for 6 years and now better - so want to spend the next few years doing some of the things we have missed.

We want to do Simpson desert, Fraser Island, Cape York, Kimberley and lots of smaller trips. Over the next 2-3 years.

I have narrowed down to 2 possible choices Colorado 2017 LT (mid spec) version or Ford ranger 2017 xl (entry spec for 3.2 lt) we will at some stage get an Offroad caravan/camper trailer.

I am thinking ranger but would like other thoughts? - Also as a side - I am thinking auto but would manual be better for where I am going?

Any thoughts would be great.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, Jul 31, 2017 at 22:34

Monday, Jul 31, 2017 at 22:34
I know it's different, but my 2 choices in that range would be the Ranger and the Izuzu.

With 3 kids, getting bigger all the time, I would pick something with the biggest back seat, which I suspect mightn't be any of the dualcabs !
AnswerID: 612784

Follow Up By: Bazza76 - Monday, Jul 31, 2017 at 22:45

Monday, Jul 31, 2017 at 22:45
Thanks for that- yep have looked at the Isuzu and liked it. So did the kids. Still in the drawing board but does not drive quite as well as the Colorado.

Yep the rear seat is going to be the issue, but as we will be swagging it for most the trips we need something with a huge amount of storage and most the suv's we have seen have small boots and big price tags.

The ranger I would say has the bigger back seat and ride position, but it is close:-)

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 883144

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 07:32

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 07:32
Another vote for the Isuzu, a very reliable car.

Do yourself a favour and forget the manual, the new autos are the best thing since sliced bread and are nothing like the autos of yesteryear.

If you are looking at a Ranger, why not include the Mazda BT50 - I had all 4 on my list but whittled it down to BT50 and D-Max of which the later won out.
FollowupID: 883149

Follow Up By: Bazza76 - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 11:39

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 11:39
I will initially be getting it under company fleet and Mazda do not have fleet pricing. Will start doing more Isuzu research and looks like auto is the way to go:-)

Thanks
FollowupID: 883152

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 19:37

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 19:37
Got a Dmax here.
FollowupID: 883166

Reply By: Member - coutaboat - Monday, Jul 31, 2017 at 22:57

Monday, Jul 31, 2017 at 22:57
I have a 2014 Ranger Wildtrak and have owned many cars and utes over the years and this one is a gem. The back seat seems to meet our needs and we are told is comfortable. Travels on the highway well and so far has done all asked of it in a limited number of four wheel drive situations. It is certainly very comfortable for long distance driving. Mechanically it has not missed a beat after 80,000 kms.
Allan.
AnswerID: 612785

Follow Up By: Bazza76 - Monday, Jul 31, 2017 at 23:18

Monday, Jul 31, 2017 at 23:18
Thanks for that:-)
FollowupID: 883145

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 05:59

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 05:59
Ranger. I have the xl 3.2 auto. Great car. 110,000 kms on it now. The 2 colorados in our fleet blew up. I cannot recommend them. I don't know how their oil usage is going now but it has been an issue for that motor.
AnswerID: 612786

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 06:22

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 06:22
Funny you should say that...bloke directly across the road has a Colorado that blew the engine up 4 weeks ago with 30,000klms on it. Whole new engine put in. Lucky it was a lease vehicle. Mechanics couldn't give a reason why it blew up....reminiscent of the old Nissan hand grenade 3 litre.
FollowupID: 883147

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 06:40

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 06:40
That's about the right kms. Ours were put on 'oil watch' at 25 km but didn't make it to the end of the 'watch'. New motors. They are ok now but not what you would recommend to anybody.
FollowupID: 883148

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 07:50

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 07:50
Can't comment on Colorado as have had no contact with them. D-max has a good reputation as a good all-round performer. I have a 2012 Ranger 3.2 auto and it has been very good with no faults to date.

Autos today are excellent and personally I would not go back to a manual, my thoughts only.

One thing I would be looking at very closely is rear seating in relation to comfort of the seats especially the centre position and leg space for the kids.

AnswerID: 612788

Follow Up By: Bazza76 - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 11:41

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 11:41
Thanks for that. I need the width of the Amarok and the leg room of the ranger and the seat position of the triton:-)
FollowupID: 883154

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 15:41

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 15:41
Bazza, If you put a combination of male and female Tritons, Rangers and Amaroks in a paddock, they may do a bit of cross breeding and you will get what you want :D

It is a bugger as everything is a compromise. Keeping the 3 growing ones happy in the back seat will be up there with armageddon.

All the best with your choice.
FollowupID: 883162

Follow Up By: Bazza76 - Saturday, Aug 05, 2017 at 19:52

Saturday, Aug 05, 2017 at 19:52
BRWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
FollowupID: 883238

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 09:15

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 09:15
Bazza
If you check the warranty provision and problems with encountered with the Colorado you would strike it off your list.
Some Ford owners have a good run and it is basically a good vehicle, Ford customer service is very often severely lacking.

No company is perfect though, it is just the fact some are better than others.

The 3 boys will get bigger if fed food, so the rear seating in any of them is worth consideration. You mentioned they will have swags.
If crossing the Simpson with 3 boys, the rear tub of any ute will be filled with swags and leave little room for the essentials needed during a crossing. Water/fuel /food emergency gear etc.
For that crossing an auto is best. As metioned, how modern autos work is far different to earlier designs and more suitable.
AnswerID: 612791

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 09:33

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 09:33
Auto trans is better Off Road everywhere.
FollowupID: 883151

Follow Up By: Bazza76 - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 11:40

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 11:40
Thanks for tht
FollowupID: 883153

Follow Up By: Deejay - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 18:39

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 18:39
That is until you need to come down a steep incline, under control. And if the car is in control, then you're not really four wheel driving!
FollowupID: 883195

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 19:16

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 19:16
Ever heard of "hill decent" ? A lot of 4X4's are fitted with it. I fitted a Holden V6 auto to an old Ln105 Hilux and it was a brilliant offroad setup and in low it was a dream down very steep and shaley inclines. I have way more trouble with my manual Dmax because of the bloody ABS.
FollowupID: 883197

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 19:39

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 19:39
My 6 speed auto stays in whatever gear I ask it to going down steep tracks. First gear low range crawls down great, don't have to touch the brakes, usually a bit of accelerator or flick it up to second.
FollowupID: 883199

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 20:47

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 20:47
Simple answer to DeeJay, the latest autos can be used as a manual but the manual can not be used as an auto.

About time you took one for a drive.

I would not have another manual car even if it was given to me.
FollowupID: 883200

Follow Up By: Deejay - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 22:09

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 22:09
I have taken one for a drive, several in fact. I've owned and used four wheel drive vehicles (cars and trucks) for 40 years and until recently I conducted four wheel drive courses. I stand by my claim. Whilst I agree autos are easier to drive in most real off road situations (not pussy footing around on beaches or forestry tracks) I am yet to see a factory auto, even with a convertor lock-up or AHD, descend a steep testy hill with the safety and aplomb of a manual.
Michael H9 - if you change up going down a descent or blip the accelerator then you're not on a real descent. I suspect you all may be Claytons four wheel drivers.
Kazza055 - About time you took a manual for a drive down a real hill.
FollowupID: 883201

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 23:02

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 23:02
Is there really any need for simian chest-beating in a discussion like this?

I've taken my fully loaded (3 tonne) 2014 BT50 6sp auto up and down Billy Goats Bluff in Vic High Country. Very steep, loose rutted surface requiring careful wheel placement, not "pussy footing". And from Grant to Talbotville, same load plus 2.2 tonne hybrid van on the back, total over 5 tonne. A formed, narrow dirt road, but again, a very steep descent.

I like to stay off the brakes as much as possible so that they are there if and when I need them. On both descents I used low first and second in manual mode for engine braking and did not need hill descent control, though it was available and I did play with it a bit for a test. Generally, the transmission held the vehicle perfectly, even with 2.2 tonne pushing down the hill from Grant.

And going up the hill - so much easier, and better, with seamless gear changes, particularly down-changes, with no interruption to applied power, loss of traction or momentum.

I like manual transmissions, but I find absolutely nothing lacking in the BT50/Ranger 6R80 auto. I suspect most modern autos in modern 4WDs would be similar.

Purists may differ, but for a family tourer that is going to play in the dirt a bit, IMO an auto is the best bet.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 883202

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 23:08

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 23:08
The tracks I drive on don't have constant gradients and often have drainage humps in odd places so I can go from feeling like I'm going to fall through the front window only being held back by the seat belt, to barely moving in a short space. I've had manuals, old autos and new autos. Old autos are crap, the new ones, depending on brand I suppose, I haven't driven all of them, are very good. Still, you can't do a stall start with them so the manual wins there.
Anyway, the point I was making is that mine holds the gear without having a converter lockup. It has HDC but I don't like it at all. On hot days the brakes start squealing badly on very long descents somewhere like the Vic High Country. I only tried it a few times before ditching it for low range low gear manual mode. Really you have to drive every car slightly different according to their characteristics.
FollowupID: 883203

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Aug 03, 2017 at 07:36

Thursday, Aug 03, 2017 at 07:36
As I said earlier, the latest autos can be used as a manual but the manual can not be used as an auto. The D-Max in manual mode will hold whatever gear you have selected and provides engine braking just like a manual does.

Old autos are nothing like the new ones available these days.
FollowupID: 883204

Follow Up By: William P - Thursday, Aug 03, 2017 at 10:48

Thursday, Aug 03, 2017 at 10:48
It unfortunate that people apply their experiences with a particular brand to be representative of all brands - my car is an auto (I also have a manual as well to compare) has Hill Descent but also automatically locks the the torque converter when in low range as required. This means that when going downhill I have full engine braking exactly the same as a manual and with manual control of the gearbox it remains in the selected gear - same as a manual.

As said I also have variable speed hill descent control and I find I do not have a need to use it - by comparison to using the gears, HDC is noisy and clunky and does not work as well - also with this the brakes do not overheat and fail like they may have in the past..

So I would say that if the OP wants an auto then go for it.
FollowupID: 883205

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Aug 03, 2017 at 11:42

Thursday, Aug 03, 2017 at 11:42
The performance gap between manuals and autos is virtually non-existent today, because of lock-up converters, high-efficiency auto transmissions, electronics and computer control.

Auto transmissions reduce shock loading on the drivetrain, and are excellent for "back and forth" rocking to get out of bogs.
Auto transmissions normally last longer than clutches and manual transmissions - but are higher repair cost, when overhaul is finally needed.

Auto transmissions come with a major cost penalty when buying new, and you don't really get anything much extra in increased resale value when you want to move the vehicle on.
Auto transmissions do come with an increased fuel useage penalty. This can vary according to your style and type of driving (stop-start urban use with auto incurs a distinct increase in fuel use). I'd reckon about 5% extra fuel consumption on average, over a manual.

The major problem with auto trannies today is the increased use of thermoplastics in their construction. They utilise electronic solenoids to move valves to change gears, and these solenoids are largely thermoplastics that are adversely affected by high temperatures.

As a result, monitoring and controlling auto tranny oil temperature is crucial today, more so than ever.
I have seen one reputable auto tranny repairer state that Ford and ZF autos should never be operated above 85 degrees C, due to heat levels above this temperature causing thermoplastic deformation in the solenoids.

Most of the current Ford auto transmissions are ZF transmissions, built under licence by Ford, and built to a cheaper standard of construction than the European-built genuine ZF trannies.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 883206

Reply By: braincell - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 16:40

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 16:40
buy a Pajero , sold my twin cab years ago when the kids got too big .Don't regret it one bit
AnswerID: 612795

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 17:19

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 17:19
The Colorado engine always sounds like a bucket of bolts to me - noisy, and they sound like they're pushed to the limit, producing the power they do.

If you buy a current Colorado you could end up with an orphan. Used Colorado's are already appearing in high numbers in the vehicle auctions, and they are not producing the resale values that they should be.

In addition, with Holden in turmoil, closing down here, and importing Opels badged as Holdens - and now with GM selling off Opel - then Holden is the last brand I'd be looking at today.

The Colorado is currently sharing its chassis and body with the Isuzu D-Max (who designed and built the vehicle originally, and who supply the platform to GM, who install their own Italian VM engine and drivetrain) - but Isuzu have now jumped into bed with Mazda, and together they plan to produce a brand new, jointly-developed range of 4WD, 2WD and single and dual cab utes, in 2020.

No-one knows where this leaves Colorado - who will be out on a limb when the current Isuzu D-Max models end in 2020.

Isuzu and Mazda jointly plan a new, common range of utes for 2020

My preference has always been toward Toyota, because they produce pretty reliable vehicles with excellent resale.
However, I note that Ranger sales are increasing substantially, at the expense of the Hilux.

Lots and lots of Rangers on the roads, and mostly, people seem happy enough with them.
However, I had enough of Fords highly variable quality, poor backup, expensive spare parts, and poor resale value, more than 25 years ago, and I will never buy another Ford again.

Isuzu is good, truck based and truck proven (the D-Max engine is a truck engine), but the D-Max seating and comfort is pretty average.

Whatever you buy won't be perfect, but a good local dealership and satisfactory attitude towards warranty claims - along with good resale values, are all very important factors.
Very few people buy Chinese vehicles because you can't give them away, used - let alone the reliability and build quality problems.

I find "Product Review" is a pretty reasonable source of feedback on vehicles. PR try to verify genuine ownership with a request for confirming purchase paperwork.
There are few dodgy salesmen giving feedback on PR - they're the feedbacks with glowing reviews, where they can't find a single thing wrong with the vehicle!

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 612796

Follow Up By: Bazza76 - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 17:28

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 17:28
Thanks for the feedback - Yes i like the Toyota's but very expensive particularily when you get to the lower spec models.

You are right with the dMax - it felt uncomfortable but solid. Depending on the quote i get back this may be an option.

I had seen good reviews on the new colarado but after the initial posts here I had a look and the issues remain.

I think the Ranger is the right mix of size (back seat), drive quality (still a ute but better than most), power (under worked 5 cyl) and reliability (some issues but nothing systemic).

I used to be a Falcon man but had some huge issues with Ford as well 15 years ago - The last few years of quality have brought me back:-)
FollowupID: 883163

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 17:44

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 17:44
I bought a 2011 Colorado brand new for $42k with $18k worth of ARB gear on it and with a $17k factory discount.

2 years ago I tried to trade it on a 200 series, I was offered $19k so I ended up keeping it until recently when the EX bought it for $15k.

I drove my mates 2009 Hilux from Melbourne to Darwin in 41/2 days just after Easter, I followed him in his new Hilux at 110 kph the whole way and it purred like a kitten.
It has 310,000 kms on it and is still worth $18K by Red Book, I guess you get what you pay for and the resale value is the best there is.

Personally I will never by outside Toyota again, the Colorado has been good but certainly not great. As for the Ranger a very good mechanic mate of mine who is a Ford fanatic said he wouldn't touch one.

Hope that helps.
FollowupID: 883164

Follow Up By: William M6 - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 20:02

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 20:02
Bazza lots of great advice here but given the size of those young adults sitting in the back of any dual cab for days and days I think seriously look at a Wagon option with perhaps a camper trailer set up to give you a cooking facility, comfort and storage? It is amazing how people buy a dual cap put a cover on the back, draw system, fridge etc effectively turning it into a wagon anyway. I own a Toyota but the Pajero suggestion for comfort and price is worth consideration?
The Colarado is a greaty looking Dual Cab but not reliable eneogh. My brother purchased a Ford Ranger for his propberty and does not rate it compared to his old LC Tray top. I did a trip up North last year and talked to lots of folks and by far the Isuzi Dual Cab was highly rated for mainly reliability and capability.

Good luck.
FollowupID: 883168

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 13:52

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 13:52
You'll fit 3 in the back of a ranger much better than a pajero. The ranger has a flat bench. The pajero has 2 nice seats, but the squabs are shaped and when you try to fit 3 you end up straddling bumpy sections of seat with your bum. Ask me how I know......
I would also wager (without measuring) that the internal passenger volume of the ranger is well and truly bigger than a pajero.
I've spent all day 4wding in the back seat of a ranger and it really isn't a bad place to be. Nothing like the twin cabs of old. My kids like it.
FollowupID: 883187

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 20:45

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 20:45
With a family of 5 to pack for, I'd be going with something like a Pajero, MUX or Prado and a simple cheap off road trailer for all the gear. Something light so it won't hold you back. Lot's of campers these days are too big and heavy and full of too much stuff. Then you would have a decent car to drive around town when you aren't on an expedition. Having a ute as your main car is a bit ordinary for a family, no matter how good they are they aren't as good as the wagon variant. That's my opinion anyway. :-)
AnswerID: 612798

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 22:36

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 22:36
Your choice in large part depends on how remotely you travel.
It's true the Ford Rangers are eating into Toyota's market share in a big way, and you see plenty of Rangers as tow vehicles on the black top and in caravan parks.
But as you do genuinely remote and difficult tracks you really see nothing but Toyotas and some of the bullet-proof older Nissan Patrols.

Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612803

Follow Up By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:21

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:21
I think that comment is a bit old hat. Plenty of assorted Fourbies on the Madigan Line and Hay River track this July, including our Ford Ranger. Also in the Vic High Country.
At Birdsville there were a number of duel cabs with broken chassis including a Hilux. Not our Ranger though. I know in reality things can go wrong with any vehicle. Often the driver as much as the vehicle. Just sayin!
Cheers,
Chris
FollowupID: 883437

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:28

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:28
You're proibably right Chris; just saying what we saw on the Canning and the Anne Beadell this year.
As the OP said at the top of this post, these questions always spark a debate based as much on opinion as fact :-)
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 883438

Follow Up By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:51

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:51
Over decades we have owned and used offroad: Nissan MQ patrol,Mitsubishi Pajero, Rangerover, 80 series land cruiser, Manuel Ford Ranger duel cab and at present 2016 Ranger duel cab. No bias like some. Since the 80's we have done offroad all over this wonderful land of ours. We buy based on full research and also value for money. Back in the day it was only Toyotas and Nissans. Not now.
Cheers,
Christine
FollowupID: 883439

Reply By: Member - Cyberess - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 00:29

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 00:29
Hi Bazza76,

Either vehicle will do and both are great vehicles - even I was considering a Colorado last year, but I purchased a Ford Ranger XL MK2 six speed manual, similar to what you are considering, and I am super happy with my choice.

Here's the reason that I chose the Ford.
* I wanted a base model that has a rear diff locker as factory standard.
* I like Vinyl floors
* I wanted a cab chassis, and not pay for a tub, as I have a alloy canopy made up.
* I wanted vehicle that was easy to lift -- I chatted with all the 4WD gear installers in Darwin, that Ford and Mazdas are the easiest for suspension mods.
* I wanted 16" rims -- as out bush it's just so much easier getting 16" tyres, plus the dealer gave me 2 extra spare rims for free
* The wadding depth was very important to me -- I really like the way that fords done the electricals etc.
* I wanted a large dealer network.
* A price of below $40000 On the road -- yes it's possible with the base model Ford.
* I could easily buy bull bar with built in "rated" recovery points for this model
* I really do like the power steering on the Ford

I have had the Ranger for a year now, and have now done nearly 20000klms, I have towed a tandem caravan from Darwin to Port Macquarie and back. I have done plenty of club grade 5 4WD trips, and have lead 4WD trips with this vehicle.

I have done a write up about my vehicle buildup with photos, and what accessories I used like high clearance tow bar, what canopy , lang range tank, suspension, tyres etc I chose and the reasons why -- it's at http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-mk2-ford-ranger-2016.40913/

Any questions just ask.

Just a a closing note I reckon dual cab utes are great :)

AnswerID: 612807

Reply By: Member - WBS - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 08:51

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 08:51
Ok,from biased perspective,why not look at the BT50 as well. Given that every part I've looked at is stamped FoMoCo it is a very close relation to the Ford Ranger. I paid $10,000 less for a BT50 than a "comparable" Ford Ranger. I spent the $10k on tarting it up with winch, bulbar, canopy, winch, upgraded shocks and springs. All from ARB. The new springs gave it a 2" lift which is more than I'll need or wanted.

I'm in Cairns at the moment heading for the Cape from Melbourne. I'm impressed with the ride, the towing capabilities, the power too. It is a really comfortable touring vehicle and really capable off road. Time will tell how well it performs on the dirt up there. I'll let you know.

The Ford has more refinement in the cabin and flasher dash etc. Both, I suspect would be a bit less comfortable in the back seat than a Prado or similar.

If you can afford the Ranger go for it. I've seen heaps on the road,some towing caravans the size of houses. I'm sure you'll be happy. By the way, I am amazed at the number of Pajero's on the road. There are heaps of them up here. At one stage out near Winton, I was starting to think there was a Pajero rally because there were so many ,one after the other.

Safe travels
WBS
AnswerID: 612814

Follow Up By: Member - WBS - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 08:55

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 08:55
In reading previous responses I agree about looking at the Isuzu Dmax too. I discounted it in my research because it had a 5 speed gearbox. The new one has 6 speed so that would be high on my list too.

Yes, get the auto.

WBS
FollowupID: 883176

Follow Up By: Bazza76 - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 09:55

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 09:55
Yep - looked at the BT but Mazda do not offer fleet discount and I will buy this through work and then buy from my work when they roll over - Around 20000km.

Ford offer great discounts which makes it possible.

FollowupID: 883180

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 12:29

Wednesday, Aug 02, 2017 at 12:29
That's the thing that gets me about Ford - these massive discount deals they hand out.
If you stop and think about it, no one manufacturer - not even Ford - can produce a dual cab ute at much lower cost than any other manufacturer. Not even if they build them in a 3rd world country.

And as all of Australia's current ute lineup are built in Thailand anyway, you can pretty well bet, that the vehicles total build costs between all the major manufacturers, doesn't vary a great deal.
What does vary the vehicle build cost, is the expensive accessories - so different makes of vehicle fitted with similar accessories, are going to vary only a little in total build cost.

As a logical result, if a certain brand is offering huge discounts on the selling price - then they are most certainly going to find ways to make up the loss of profits on the original sale.

With motor vehicle manufacturers, it's a well-known fact that they make vastly bigger profits from the sale of parts, as compared to the original sale profit.

What the manufacturers relish is that once they sell a vehicle, it's usually in service for 15 to 20 years, even though it might change hands 10 or 20 times in that period.
So that 15 to 20 years is a period of fat parts profits for the manufacturers, that is virtually set in stone for them.
They might have a few aftermarket suppliers nibbling at their heels, but the manufacturers use "registered design" and patent laws to keep those aftermarket suppliers at bay for years, by suppressing any parts copying.

In conclusion - if a manufacturer is offering huge sales discounts on new vehicles (particularly if those discounts are "factory-backed), then you can wager as sure as the sun rises, that they are pumping up the parts prices to make up for the initial sale loss.

I have always found Ford parts to be the most expensive of all the manufacturers, when it comes to comparing comparable parts. And I've bought lots and lots of parts from many brands and manufacturers, over more than 50 years, so I do have a degree of experience in the parts cost field.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 883185

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 21:12

Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 21:12
No words of advice for you, Bazza, but an almighty congratulations.
Six years!
As someone who has recently nursed a family member through a short illness (and there are many out there who have done likewise), I can understand the immense sigh of relief and the need to escape in some way.
Those of us without a happy ending are all surely touched by your "better" verdict. Those who also experienced good news like you will be surely holding their precious family unit a little tighter.
Hubby and I hope to escape asap and may meet you on the road one day.
Best wishes to you and your family.

Robyn :)
AnswerID: 612860

Follow Up By: Bazza76 - Saturday, Aug 05, 2017 at 19:58

Saturday, Aug 05, 2017 at 19:58
Thank you for your message.

The beauty of the journey that we are about to travel is that it was a source of hope in often hopeless situations.

The hope of seeing beauty
again and experiencing life in the midst of darkness and loss kept me and my family going.

I pray that you and your hubby find that place of beauty, hope and life again as you travel this amazing country - and yes i hope to see you on the road.
FollowupID: 883239

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Aug 06, 2017 at 10:25

Sunday, Aug 06, 2017 at 10:25
Bazza, Not sure what you budget is, but I think the Toyota Prado might be a more comfortable vehicle for you family. A roof rack will hold your swags, leaving the wagon for food etc. 2.7 T towing capacity should be fine for a camper trailer/hybrid caravan. From my personal experience in the Middle East, Toyotas are unbreakable, even with little or no servicing.

I have heard of some serious issues with the Ford Ranger/BT50 engine/transmission. Of course, they may only have been isolated incidents, but were expensive to repair.

Also, look carefully at the vehicle GVM/GCM. Some of the dual cab utes do not leave you with much load carrying capacity once you have your family in them. Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612901

Reply By: mynance - Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 20:51

Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 20:51
Auto Will always be better on or off road than a manual, no matter which vehicle you get.
Prado is excellent as long as you get extra fuel filter installed, but Pajero will run ring around them if your towing or sand driving. Prado is quieter than the Pajero.

Myles
AnswerID: 612994

Reply By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:26

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:26
Whatever you get, just don't overload a duel cab.We saw a number of them with broken chassis in Birdsville in July. Our Ranger was fine after doing the Madigan and Hay River. We had heaps of fuel and water but only 2 adults to carry and feed.
Also we drive to the conditions which helps. All the best as you celebrate a happy future.
Chris
AnswerID: 613057

Sponsored Links