Does Extended Shackles mean extended Shocks?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:33
ThreadID: 13567 Views:6253 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy gang, how goes it?

Just a quick one if i may ponder all your well educated minds.....

I'm looking 2 give the old Betsy Cruiser (60 series) a small lift with extended shackles ( 4x4 INSURANCE said that they cover them ). Ive recently had my leaf springs reset ( therefore not looking 2 get lifted springs yet ) & not so keen on the lift blocks with all the add on adjustments that go along with it.

So, I was thinking some bigger shackles could b the way 2 go. But then I'm wondering what effect that that has on my KONI shocks? I've heard that there is a bigger chance that they may run out of play & top out more & possibly wreck them. Would a lift of a couple inches or so do that? How much scope would they have in upward travel?

Also, has anyone got any recomended shackles 2 use? They cant b 2 hard 2 get made up can they? might save the back pocket a bit?

alrighty, great forum guys, it's always educating 2 read all the great goss on this website.

cheers in advance

Ro

'Motivation may come & go, but life's quests - they stay alive!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:36

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:36
( 4x4 INSURANCE said that they cover them ).

You will need to get car engineered to be legal.. Insurance will tell you one thing but if your car is not roadworthy, you are on your own.
AnswerID: 62163

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:41

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:41
ALso lookin on outerlimits, if your in QLd, no chance of gettin passed.

NSW you can, other states have their own rules too
FollowupID: 323517

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:42

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:42
and No in Vic anymore apparently
FollowupID: 323518

Reply By: Member - Roachie- Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:47

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:47
G'day Rowen,

From what I know of the topic, you should be okay with an extra 3" long shackle. Because the axles are located half way along the springs, if you add 3" longer shackles you'll only be raising the truck by 1.5" (or thereabouts).

4WD Monthly did an article a few years ago on the Editor's suzuki (competition truck called kermit I think) and he made up new shackles himself.

Another alternative, would be to buy a set of commercial ones....check out

snakeracing.com.au

There is another brand on the market that are hinged and also rotate, but can't think of their name.

Cheers,

Roachie
AnswerID: 62168

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:51

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:51
Sorry,,,,,,,,forgot to answer your original question.......

You'd have to measure the shockers your using at current full droop and see if there is still another inch or 2 in them, otherwise you're right, you'll be overtaxing them.

JMHO.
FollowupID: 323520

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:20

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:20
Rowan, i went through this when i was looking for a 2" lift for the Explorer, i was going to put extended shackles on her but after they told that i would need an engineers certificate ($450), plus the cost of the shackles, it was cheaper to get heavy duty springs to do the same lift it also helped with the load carrying, i have tough dog shocks and i was worried that they would have to be changed, the guys doing the job told they were ok and had enough travel. Who ever is doing the job for you should be able to tell you if your shocks are ok. If you are NSW you need the certificate to pass rego, i dont know about insurance. Hope this helps, good luck.

Baz.

Ps, shackles for the Explorer were going to be $400.
AnswerID: 62182

Reply By: Pelesino - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:43

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:43
Ro,
I was thinking on doing the same on my MQ but at the end I did not do it, I just went for bigger tyres.
If you are in Sydney, there is a workshop who was going to do it for me for under $200 a pair and not engineer approval was needed ( I am not sure about this).
This workshop is in Waitara behind Maccas. As far as I remember is in Pattison Ave. and James St.
Cheers
AnswerID: 62222

Reply By: pathfinder - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:10

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:10
if you're going to go extended shackles, you should buy the jointed/swivel ones which will greatly improve wheel articulation on leaf sprung vehicles. Cheggout www.superiorengineering.com.au
AnswerID: 62247

Sponsored Links