Sierra Electrics

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:53
ThreadID: 13574 Views:1798 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey there

I'm setting up a '92 Suzuki Sierra for touring (no jokes please :)) and have got a couple of questions relating to electrics.
1. I am running 2 Nane 6" Spot lights, headlights with plus 50 globes, Waeco 30L fridge, UHF, 27Mhz CB, CD player etc.. Is this going to put too much pressure on the alternator??

2. Also I am going to put in a second battery (considering the stock one is close to a AA) has anyone done this before and what type did you use, can you get an Exide Extreme or similar in a Suzuki size?

Any comments would be appreciated
Thanks

Brad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob N - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 18:47

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 18:47
Its easy brad, they alternator is only small but it will handle your load.
Wev'e just done my sons sierra. unbolt the carbon canister on the firewall and move it 6 inches closer to the engine. use the bolts that you removed to mount a new tray in the space between the firewall and the front guard. we replaced the original battery aswell and installed 2 N 47 from k-mart $30 ea a second hand soleniod from the marine exchange in southern sydney for $10 a switch on the dash a bit of wire its easy, just run the accessories off the second battery and the soleniod closes when the engine is running to charge the second battery but opens when the engine is off
let us know how you go
Bob & Rob
AnswerID: 62309

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 22:53

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 22:53
Hook the solenoid (via a seperate relay and possibly a delay switch) to the oil lamp, that way the car has a chance to start before dumping the load of a dead flat second battery onto the alternator.
FollowupID: 323685

Follow Up By: Member - TuffLux (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 09:49

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 09:49
Fantastic responses guys!! Thanks!
Brad
FollowupID: 323709

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 14:45

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 14:45
I run a similar setup in my rodeo.

However instead of cutting the +ve cable between the two batteries I cut the -ve cable on the starting battery. This means that when the ign is switched off it is the starting battery that is isolated. This also means that the entire vehicle is running fom the second battery when switched off. Since the whole car is now connected to the second battery you don't need to do anymore wiring. Also good for when you leave your lights on accidentally as you flatten your second battery not your starting battery.

I also run a switch to open the relay when the engine is running so that I can charge the second battery quickly. This way instead of the alternator sensing one half flat battery (a fully charged main battery and flat second battery) it senses one flat battery. Just make sure you let the second battery get a surface charge before you flick the switch as you could surge the alternator and blow your ECU.

This system uses both batteries to start buit that could be remedied with another relay. I know you shouldn't start your vehicle from a deep cycle battery but I have a standard starting battery and large deep cycle battery so together I have had no ill effects so far and I have run this system for two years.

The oil lamp being used as a timer is a good idea!

Anyway, it's all good.

Utemad
FollowupID: 324806

Sponsored Links