ROAD CONDITIONS (OFFICIAL)

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 11:33
ThreadID: 13579 Views:1629 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi for those of you who are interested in the Walkers Crossing Track from innamincka to Birdsville (or vice versa) SA National Parks have advised in their Bulletin No. 265 this morning that the Walkers Crossing is still closed and the next review will be in July. This applies to the Inside Track with SA Transport advising is still closed due to flodding - a word of warning, it is not advisable to try and come up from the south as you will be bogged for some hours, even trying to turn around to go back out and up the outside Birdsville Track (as a number of people have discovered in the last few days). Please note that I am talking about the Inside Track - the outside main Birdsville Track is open and flowing with people.
The Simpson Desert (officially) opened yesterday afternoon (Monday 7/6) - although on the western side, Bill Ryan the SA Ranger advised - you are unable to travel north yet from Mt Dare to New Crown because the roads are impassable. Good drying days at the moment should help this. I post this in the interest of safe travel.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 11:38

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 11:38
Thanks for the information Ruth. It looks as if we will still be able to visit nyou in first week in July. We were getting worried for a while. Keep our fingers crossed for the walkers crossing track
Vince
AnswerID: 62210

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:05

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:05
Was interrupted in my original post - now the review on Walkers Crossing won'tbe until the END of July.
Further, the Warburton crossing at the southern end of the K1 (not the Warburton Crossing at Kalamurina Station) is also closed - due to flooding, and again should not be attempted due to bogging.
Vince, look forward to seeing you whichever way you get here! Weather simply glorious - 12 overnight and 25 during the day, sunny, no wind. Simply devine.
AnswerID: 62212

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 22:00

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 22:00
Thanks for the report Ruth. Any indication how long the Warburton crossing will be closed on the K1 & is the Diamantina river still flowing at Birdsville? Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 323673

Reply By: Wheelerdog - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:08

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:08
thanks for that, i was just about to post a question as to whether the desert is open as a friend of mine is heading out that way in a week and half and was concerned about it still being closed.
AnswerID: 62215

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:49

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:49
Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the post. Looks like I won't be getting to Innamincka via Walkers Crossing this year. Now all I need is for the road from Oodnadatta to Mount Dare to open and I will be happy. See you 4th July for a couple of reds.

Cheers
AnswerID: 62226

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:55

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:55
Hi Ruth, I don't know where I got the 4th July from, I will see you on the 6th July.
Cheers
FollowupID: 323659

Reply By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 13:11

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 13:11
Hi ya Wildflower Girl,
Thanks for your updates. As usual, you are on the money. Will pass the info on to fellow travellers who are heading up your way. (Lucky Buggers)
At least we get to share the great weather your having there today.
AnswerID: 62233

Reply By: glenmac - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 17:27

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 17:27
Ruth
Thanks for the information. I keep checking the various auto club sites for details and keep getting different information from them. We are heading out that way from Brisbane on the 25/6 and expect to be pulling up at the caravan park at Birdsville sometime on the 28/6. Have you heard about the roads around Innamincka, we are hoping to head that way after leaving Maree. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Glenn
AnswerID: 62284

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 07:39

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 07:39
They are now open around Innamincka but have had plenty of rain and lots of traffic - haven't heard how rough they are. Do know that the Cordillo Downs road is not as bad as first thought (guess that depends on how good/bad really is. LOL) Take it slowly - then you've plenty of time to look see. At least the weather is stunning.
FollowupID: 323699

Sponsored Links