Post your "how to" questions here...

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 14:19
ThreadID: 135866 Views:3496 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Many Forum users say they haven't used other parts of the ExplorOz service, with some people saying they don't know how, or find it hard. So, I thought I'd try to address those questions in the Forum over the next few days by opening up this post for you to ask "How to" questions.

If you have heard about using a part of our service but don't know where to start and feel you need a guiding hand, then put your details into a reply post here and let me know what the issue is. I'd like to publicly help you - and perhaps someone else reading my reply will find it useful in the future too.

The things we offer are deliberately technical - because that's what type of company we are. We are an online tech solutions company and we have put together a wide range of resources to support travellers, most notably EOTopo, Places, Treks, EOTrackMe (tracking), and ExplorOz Traveller App. The app has been the culmination of bringing all our resources together for your convenience when offline. Finally the technology exists to make it all simple for everyone to use.

So, if its the technical things that confuse you but these services intrigue you and you'd like to give it a try, we're here to answer your questions and can give you advice.

I'll open this post and take questions over the next couple of days. Just please be patient if I take a while to prepare my answers - I am not online 24/7 but I will respond asap.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Gerard S - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 18:45

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 18:45
Hi Michelle. Thanks for your offer. We have a Hema HN7 navigator, fully updated. We not experts but use it successfully offroad. Are there better maps or operating system of yours we could use on it. Hope the question is not too general. Cheers Gerard.
AnswerID: 614981

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:55

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:55
Hi Gerard, the HN7 navigator utilises a version of OziExplorer for the mapping engine so yes you can upload other maps to the SD card in it providing those maps are in a compatible format.

We make our EOTopo maps for the whole of Australia available to HN7 users in the correct OziExplorer format - which requires that you install 2 files per map - these are the .OZF4 and .map formats.

You'll notice that EOTopo200 raster mapset contains a number of different scaled maps, these are:-

1. a whole of Australia map at 200K scale (ie. 1:200,000)
2. a map for each state at 200K scale
3. a whole of Australia map at 10M (ie. 1:10,000,000)
4. a whole of Australia map at 5M
5. a whole of Australia map at 2.5M
6. a whole of Australia map at 1M (ie. 1:1,000,000)
(items 3-6 are smaller scales for ease/convenience when wanting a general overview of the country, items 1 & 2 are best for outback/remote touring)

You will only select the OZF4 files of each of these. Having all the raster scales will give you the ability to switch to the most applicable view scale for your needs at the time.

Note that you must also copy across the corresponding .map files for each of the select OZF4 files - that's just how it has to be done in the mapping engine. It won't work otherwise.

So when you go into the shop and look at the buying options for the EOTopo200K raster mapset you'll see you can buy it on hard media (USB drive or SD card) which we mail to you, or as a download. See EOTopo 200K raster mapset link to shop.

If you buy the hard media, you just put the SD card or USB into your computer and copy across the OZF4 and .map files and create a folder to store them in on your computer. You then insert the SD card from your Hema Navigator to your computer and copy the new OZF4 and .map files to that SD card. You have to make sure they are in the correct folder structure because the HN7 is setup to automatically look in a particular folder for the maps, so just put them in the folder where you see the other map files you've already got on that SD. You then take that SD card out of your computer and put it back into your HN7.

NOTE: If you buy the download option, you only select the OZF4 and .map files for the maps you want. Ignore the other formats. Save your storage space.

There is detailed help on the EOTopo Help & FAQ article on our website listed in the site menu under the EOTopo tab but here is the direct link to that page, where you can go into the section for using EOTopo on an Hema Navigator. EOTopo Help & FAQ page. This explains more about how to transfer map files to your HN7 - but I'm sure this sort of product support information is also detailed on the Hema website.

I must add however, that the version of EOTopo maps in our app - ExplorOz Traveller have much better usability features. So whilst it is the same version of EOTopo there are some signifcant differences that have a very real effect on determined accuracy and detail so if you really want the best mapping from us currently, we do recommend the app, which means you buy the Premium EOTopo Mapset for ExplorOz Traveller. The reason for this is twofold:-

1. We offer the maps to the app at a better scale (144K vs 200K) and the map zooms seamlessly on your device using raster tiles. The app also provides a superb streets & paths map and a satellite image (online only currently but will become offline also in future). (Note we actually own/have the map data at 50K and better (in our development server) but due to file size blowouts its impossible to deliver that level of detail and in many cases not necessary).

2. We can deliver active hotlinks for all 80,000 Places directly on the maps which makes the map fully interactive giving you more information about what's around you. This data is not loaded onto the raster mapset, with the exception of all the campgrounds/caravan parks and selected points of interest - NOTING that in the raster mapset a selection of Places (camps/caravan parks and points of interest) were extracted from the server as at the version date and placed on the map which is fixed like an image (even if you purchase the download version). In the app however, the Places is a separate database so it is controlled as a data layer onto of the map by the app users - and we allow app users to obtain free updates to the Places database as often as you like - as the data lives on our server. Places are changing all the time by our site administrators so app users get access to this current info and it shows on the map.

So, there are some compelling reasons as to why the app is really worthwhile if you can make the switch to using an Android device, or an iPad, or even a Windows 10 computer can run it.

But if you're happy to stick with the HN7, that's fine too. And yes of course, we are indeed working towards updating the raster mapset for users like yourself but this will be a monumental update that will go way beyond what the app is doing now too. David has nearly completed the whole of Australia in his first "test" of integrating all our road data into vector tiles from street detail through to outback detail. However the roads data layer is only 1 small part of cartography and we look at the whole picture.

Does this help?
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885747

Follow Up By: Gerard S - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 09:14

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 09:14
Thanks Michelle. My brain is hurting lol...however I think I can see my way thru it.
Cheers G
FollowupID: 885766

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 12:06

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 12:06
Yeah bit of long reply but wanted to be thorough.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885775

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:18

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:18
Hi Michelle

My question relates to the EOTrackme software.

I have the ExplorOz Traveller App, ExplorOz Membership and have 4 devices registered through EOTrackme. All are on Apple portable devices.

Quite often the devices show the message shown in the attached image. The devices (when used for tracking) have good mobile reception and a good view of satellites - I use the iPad for navigation and it seems to work appropriately.

Why do I keep getting the message? Is it a setting or something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Anthony
AnswerID: 614983

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 20:06

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 20:06
The "app" that you use to connect your iPad to our EOTrackMe service is called "UTrackMe" and is not our software but is one that is developed by an overseas company. You might recall that we would have given you a link to download this from the store but it was not delivered to you by us. At the time it seemed to work but due to so many ongoing reports of tracking problems in Australia, this company withdrew their app from the Australian stores and we have been advising ExplorOz users that if you wish to continue to use our tracking service then you can no longer use that app/software. We gave the UTrackMe developers all your feedback and various tips for fixing it but they weren't interested.

The tracking software for Android users still works as that one David did write.

All this happened last year and is actually the whole reason why David starting writing his own app for our apple device users - so you wouldn't miss out on tracking. As this all happened at the same time as other apple users were having trouble with Memory-Map and wanting to use our EOTopo maps, David built the ExplorOz Traveller app specifically to cater for the needs of our apple users and made all our products work on it. And we were able to make the app work across all device platforms - now available for Android, Apple and Windows, with tracking, mapping, treks and navigation and loads of interactivity.

PS: the tracking problems with UTrackMe on Apple are only intermittment but not acceptable. The problem is that it does not store and record the offline points where you go for extended periods away from cell towers. When you only move away from one cell tower it is ok, but when you cross greater distances (eg. a week's trip outback) it doesn't store and forward as it was meant to. Australia is the only country with vast distances offline where this is an issue, hence the developers weren't interested in fixing the issue - it was a free app anyway so they can't justify it.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885748

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 20:14

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 20:14
Just re-read your post and as you already have ExplorOz Traveller, you therefore should delete the UTrackMe app from your devices as you dont' need it. Just use the switch on the Home screen of the app to enable tracking.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885750

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 20:32

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 20:32
Thanks for that.

I have deleted the Utrackme and will see how we go.

It was on the extended trips that my tracking was not recorded. Around town it was.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 885751

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:27

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:27
Hi Michelle - I have one

I thought I might learn something from this so I opened it initially a short while back when there was an indication of 10 responses - - but I could only find one.

I went back to have another look and it was now 11 responses and now I see 2 responses - obviously the latest. Just wondering what may have occurred to the first nine?

Not sure if I am logged in so adding my signature

Regards Phil

Phil 'n Jill
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 614984

Follow Up By: Gerard S - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:53

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:53
Same here and I am logged in. Only 3 viewable replies.
FollowupID: 885746

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 20:12

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 20:12
There was one off-topic reply yesterday that sparked some problematic followups that were moderated. The moderated content is in the database so numerated data is logged but not visible to those without forum admin access. By removing the former reply and associated f/ups we are starting afresh with this post in the way it was intended.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885749

Reply By: baznpud - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 14:33

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 14:33
Afternoon Michelle,
Have read the above with interest, so deleted Utrack me and now have the EO Traveller only.
Turned it on and the screen is blue only (no map showing)with the red arrow showing.
A message came up to say something was wrong, but i have accidentally deleted it.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614997

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 14:45

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 14:45
Something is wrong with your setup. We can help you sort it out. Please confirm you have checked all the following standard troubleshooting issues:-
1. you are referring to using the App on an iOS device (iPad or iPhone) and that you have the latest versions of both the ExplorOz Traveller App and the iOS OS.
2. you are logged into the app with your ExplorOz account - go to user and check. Check also that it says you are licensed for premium maps
3. you have checked the Data Manager that you have downloaded offline maps to your device for the area you are in right now?
4. you have checked your location settings are configured correctly on your device?
5. you have checked the GPS lock icon in the bottom left of the screen - press the circle - it changes from GPS lock to unlock to track up (3 modes) - this automatically centres the map to show your current location based on the GPS settings
6. you have checked the box in the top right of the map window - to select different map types - offline or online maps. Switch between these. If you don't have an internet connection have you selected the offline map?
7. if all the above doesn't work - you should go into Advanced and press Clear Maps DB and then go into Data Manager and download the maps again. You would need to be on good Wifi to do this. Only do one map at a time - ie. base map and check that you can see a map. Then do the 577K map and go back and check you can see the map. Then finally select the 144K that covers the area where you are right now - and download that and check that you can see the map. Only then should you download the other 144K maps and only if you need them.
If you are still stuck, send me an email or give me a call.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885784

Follow Up By: baznpud - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 15:04

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 15:04
Thanks Michelle, followed your instructions and now all fixed.
Cheers
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 885785

Sponsored Links