Memory Map licence meltdown

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:35
ThreadID: 135924 Views:2791 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
I have been using the old free memory map with the old EOtopo maps on my Android 2.2, 7" phone casually for years as my main bush nav. system. It has happily done what I wanted within its limitations. I last used it "in anger" on Nov 11th, all fine. That is until yesterday.

I have been ignoring the new updates because, besides having to pay for the new maps I have to update my phone as well.

I was starting to think about some new trips in S.Aust. and perhaps the Victorian High country when I noticed that some of the maps needed downloading from the internet. (I thought that they were all done). I turned on the wifi and there was no downloading going on. Tried a few times - nothing doing, then Memory Map wanted me to log in with user name and password! I can't remember it ever doing that. I logged in, and it wants me to buy HEMA reg.4 GDTracks.
"Activation rights: In your account:none."
"Needed now: 1 device".

Doesn't sound good!
I can't get out of that screen so I "Buy". (It won't work with my phone though).
It asks for $100, I don't want the maps!
I go to "Need Help" - none of the need help "License Management" is working consistently. Just tried again. I "have to purchase an up-to-date license to use a new version of the software"

Any ideas apart from spending min $250?
I glad it didn't happen on our last trip since I was tour leader.
Thanks BruceK
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:56

Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:56
Bruce, it seems it's getting harder to have decent free maps, as various organisations refine how they work with others in collaboration arrangements reducing free availability, even in limited modes.
Ie they are monetising their maps in more clever ways, within their business rights.

Maybe have a look at this reply from Sigmund . . . 886148 in the Hema Maps app post, there are some mapping links there in that particular reply.

I have Hema 4WD Maps app, good for my touring in general, and if you buy apps, remember (if on apple) to get a discounted iTunes card or similar to get a usual 15% off (JB HiFi, Target, other such), sometimes 20% / 25% comes up at special times of the year.
You then buy the app using that through iTunes, my Hema 4D Maps cost $100 or so normally, so you can get it for $85 down to $87 or $75 at times.
AnswerID: 615268

Reply By: Member - brucek - Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:16

Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:16
I might just take Michelle's advice and buy the ExpolorOz Traveller App for $60, and put that on my little 5" phone. That might do OK.
I like the 7" screen though, and I may want to upsize sometime.
Should be no problem.
AnswerID: 615270

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:43

Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:43
Michelle's advice is always worth taking.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 886161

Reply By: Member - brucek - Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 12:10

Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 12:10
OK I've paid!
I've gone to "install"
I.T. Beyond PL say, "An error occurred. Please try again."
Five times - same thing - help.
I have recently put an SD card into the phone and I have just formatted it to "internal" after nearly pulling my hair out.
Instructions are not clear- to me anyhow.
"Try again" it says - help please.
AnswerID: 615271

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 12:12

Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 12:12
Call me on the office number I'm here - happy to help you.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 886162

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 08:43

Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 08:43
Gday Bruce, Lots of things start off free, that the idea and slowly advertising creeps in and "In App" purchases start appearing, that's the object of the game. YouTube is the most obvious, initially no adds but they started appearing and you could cancel them after 4 second. That still happens but now you have to sit through longer adds of 10 secs if you want to watch something these days. Now YouTube works out what you like to watch and sends you suggested material to watch along with more targeted adds. So anything you get for free is a bonus and generally short lived these days because there is always a subscription or something to value add not too far down the track. Regards, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 615287

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 12:07

Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 12:07
You can get onto their website and login and manage your licenses. If you have changed devices what happens is the license still resides with your old device. I have had this issue many a time and did end speaking with Terry, see below if you get stuck:

More on this is discussed here

Hope that helps

Regards
Terry
Memory-Map Aus/NZ support
www.memory-map.com.au
Memory-Map support

AnswerID: 615288

Reply By: Member - brucek - Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 19:02

Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 19:02
Thanks for every ones replies, especially Michelle.
I have down loaded the Traveller App with the maps that look identical to the 2015 EOTopo online, which I understand is at 200k.
Hence a question or two-
How then will the 577k maps be better?
Also it is said that the 144k maps "at full zoom have the same detail as the online." EOTopo 200k?
If I am right I cannot get excited about the detail. I am looking for the detail e.g. for Old Sydney (South) Rd Cullerin NSW and for the new bridge over the Lachlan at Wyangala NSW. Both of these roads I have recently been on. Neither the base map nor the 200k show these roads properly.
That doesn't sound right given the enthusiastic reviews of the 144k maps.
Before I spend my $50 I would like to check these places out, on these offerings
AnswerID: 615295

Sponsored Links