So these days, whats the best 4wd on the market ??

I Know, I Know!, ,Depends on what you want to do, But for price ,capabilities economy, towing etc etc , there must be one out there that takes the prize for what it is!!

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: eaglefree - Saturday, Dec 02, 2017 at 22:05

Saturday, Dec 02, 2017 at 22:05
If I was in the market the Isuzu D-Max auto.
Ticks all the boxes. Less complicated that some. Comfortable
AnswerID: 615338

Follow Up By: GerryG - Saturday, Dec 02, 2017 at 23:14

Saturday, Dec 02, 2017 at 23:14
Totally agree but it seems to have an unusual wire colour coding. See my blog earlier today.
I've been running 4WD tours in Central Aust for the last 40+ years and decided to retire in the D Max Auto.
FollowupID: 886267

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Dec 02, 2017 at 23:48

Saturday, Dec 02, 2017 at 23:48
The seats are ordinary, that's a box that's not ticked for me anyway.
FollowupID: 886269

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 11:28

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 11:28
Dmax povo pack. 5 speed manual. Taken us to hell and back and hasn't let us down. As far as I'm concerned it has the best engine driveline package on the market. Yes the seats aren't the best but it is a 4x4/work vehicle
FollowupID: 886283

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 00:12

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 00:12
For me it is my 1988 hj61 factory turbo 60 series Landcruiser.... If money wasn’t a concern, it would be a Landcruiser 4 door wagon (200 or 76), but the 60 does everything I want of it, and I don’t need to worry about scratches, sand or mud getting into it, chucking dive and fishing gear in the back, etc.... it does need more maintenance to keep on top of everything - but the upside is that I am confident of repairing most things (short of a major breakdown) out in the bush without it having to be towed on a flat-top to the nearest ‘service centre’....
AnswerID: 615339

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:13

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:13
Mmmm! I love the old 60 series, It was the vehicle that opened up the 4x4 vehicle to the ordinary family. Horse float towing, camping and off roading. If you are into 4 door utes, D.Max is worth a look, Isuzu make great engines and drive trains. Im not a fan of utes myself.
Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 886276

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 10:47

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 10:47
Ditto Red 88 HJ61, Last Easter asked 4 times did I want to sell it, No why do you ask...Answer if I can't fix it I don't want it. We can afford a 200 Series but don't want one in Norther WA when prospecting on our own. Probably look at the 100 series when the Cruiser goes to heaven.

Peter
FollowupID: 886280

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 07:32

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 07:32
Hey Axle

Can you please explain to me why you post these rhetorical questions every month about issues where you don't appear to have any real interest in the answers.

Axle's rhetorical question of the month

You turn up once a month on the dot, throw a random potentially contentious question into EO, apparently sit back and watch the resulting dialogue, and disappear till next month. You have been doing it for years and don't seem to participate in any discussion or threads other than the ones you start on a monthly basis. Even then, you only seem to participate in your own threads when they need a 'kick start' or someone asks you a direct question. A quick review of the last 12 - 15 months or so posts shows that you didn't even follow up at all in most of the threads you start.

You are very good at asking random provocative questions to get a reaction, I'll give you that. But if you are so interested in the subjects, why do you rarely respond to your own threads or be active elsewhere on the forum?

I'm not being critical, I've just been curious for a couple of years now why you do it. One thing is for sure. Your rhetorical question of the month does give EO a much needed traffic boost. LOL.

AnswerID: 615341

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 07:48

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 07:48
Are you saying his Defender isn't real??
FollowupID: 886273

Follow Up By: OBJ - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:01

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:01
" ... why do you rarely respond to your own threads ..."

You mean like this one as well??
FollowupID: 886274

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:11

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:11
It his his Civil Right to do so, all from “ I Had A Dream”, but he isn’t KING.
FollowupID: 886275

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:16

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:16
Michael, I'm not aware of what vehicle Axle has. I thought Axle had a Toyota from all the questions about Toyota problems.

RMD It's a free forum, Axle can post what he likes and people obviously see enough interest to bite on a monthly basis, including myself at times.

But I'm just interested in the point of all these questions if the OP consistently consistently shows no interest in the replies or any other person's post on the forum.

See - Axle even got me to bight this time in a big way. Job done I guess Axle?

I'm just curious and hope Axle replies.
FollowupID: 886277

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:38

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:38
Axle often mentions his "old Defender" in his posts. He also does often reply on his own posts, he said "Thanks mate" once. I can't recall a reply on a post he didn't start though.
This does bring to light an interesting modern phenomena that is now being used to start grass fires that sway popular opinion. There are literally armies of fake personas in data centres world wide who are paid to create fake identities that spread a particular point of view. In the cyber world you can't tell who is real and who is not.
FollowupID: 886278

Follow Up By: William P - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 11:14

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 11:14
Boobook said
"Hey Axle

Can you please explain to me why you post these rhetorical questions every month about issues where you don't appear to have any real interest in the answers.

Axle's rhetorical question of the month

You turn up once a month on the dot, throw a random potentially contentious question into EO, apparently sit back and watch the resulting dialogue, and disappear till next month."

Answer
From Wikipedia
" In Internet slang, a troll (/'tro?l/, /'tr?l/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.

I think that sums it up
FollowupID: 886282

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 11:52

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 11:52
Well, the way I see it is that forums are a bit like standing around the campfire…

Someone offers a question, perhaps a point of view or statement. Others consider it, stare into the fire, or the keyboard, and they might have something to offer in response to further the discussion.

Others might feel they have nothing to contribute and just go on staring into the fire until a topic of interest to them is raised; perhaps they might raise a topic of their own.

Here’s the thing, what a boring place the campfire would be without comment or discussion, just a bunch of people standing around saying nothing…

But on Axle responding…well only Axle can speak to that, but I often find asking a question and listening to the answers is a great way to learn without the need to contribute beyond the initial question.

And on "Trolls" wherever you might find them, here is some advice from the English poet, and painter, William Blake.

“Better to shun the bait, than struggle in the snare”…

I reckon Billy Blake's quote has stood the test of time and is as relevant today as it was when he penned it a about 300 years ago – perhaps more so in the age of the “key-board warrior”.

And crikey, to be clear, I’m in no way suggesting Axle is a “Troll” – far from it, I’m looking forward to next month’s question already.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 886284

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 13:58

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 13:58
William,..... you summed-up as a "troll"...........

...."a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people"...
I don't think Axle has done that.

..."posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages"....
Cannot see any of those.

...."with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response"....
He just asked a simple question. Don't get all emotional.

...."or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion".....
What did he disrupt? Wasn't a lot happening anyway.

Axle regularly posts thought-provoking questions to the forum in general.
What's-more, he always gets plenty of good answers too. Doesn't make him a troll.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 886286

Follow Up By: axle - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 15:10

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 15:10
Thank you Baz & Allan Its refreshing to hear common sense replies and not the stupid dribble that some can only manage to do. Yes I do sit back and look at all replys without responding to some ,but that's the way I am, better than being a motor mouth I reckon.....lol.

Cheers Axle
FollowupID: 886288

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 06:36

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 06:36
I guess I'm the motor mouth.

I wasn't criticising, In fact I said that. I'm just curious why you regularly ask people for their opinion then ignore everyone's replies, I just think that if people respond to a question asked, it's common courtesy to acknowledge the effort they put in.

Using the camping analogy, to me its like the person who always sits alone, and never comes to the camp fire to join in to other peoples discussions, except on the odd occasion where they say something contentious, then walk away.

FollowupID: 886297

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 23:04

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 23:04
Didn't realise Axle was so regular Tony but have always thought he just liked to have a chinwag every now and again. The style is so familiar - an observation with minimal detail and no obvious motive or undertone. It's like he saying 'let's have a lighthearted chat, here's a topic'. Invariably it brings a smile to my dial. As Baz suggested it's a bit like campfire banter - only without the camp, the fire, the stars, and the personal contact :-). This could be a good one. An opportunity for everyone to simply throw in any vehicle they have/like and briefly say why it is "best" for them.

A damned fine idea for a thread I must say Axle. One of your best. Hope it gets numerous replies because my Jackaroo is getting very long in the tooth and I'm keeping an eye out for what's next.
FollowupID: 886312

Follow Up By: Nacho - Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 13:50

Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 13:50
Exactly why camping solo is so good...no BS to deal with...enough of that here.
If you want to talk you can but mostly just stare into space and enjoy the peace and quiet.
FollowupID: 886458

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 16:05

Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 16:05
"If you want to talk you can but mostly just stare into space and enjoy the peace and quiet."
Alright until you start howling at the moon. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 886459

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 09:58

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 09:58
Its a hard one Axle , but within our immediate group of 4wders that actually go 4wding the majority now seems to be 100 series turbo 4.2 with IFS front.

Theres a spattering of utes of different types mostly brought by tradies new due to tax advantages.

4800 petrol Patrols still have quite a following by those after performance.

I still can not find anything that can match my 4800 which is now 7 years old.
In the small car catergory we finally found a replacement for our RAV4 and got a baby SUV - Suzuki Turbo petrol - which has all the modern 4wd traction aids and is giving me a feel for the way these things work although I am still not convinced the electronic controls the old solid Axle / Diff locks stuff.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 615343

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 10:41

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 10:41
I think the saddest thing with the Patrol is that Nissan had the perfect 4WD set up but wouldn't put in a decent Diesel engine. The Y61 with live axles, coils etc would still eat anything on the road as far as 4WD performance was concerned. Just needed a decent diesel!
FollowupID: 886279

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 23:08

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 23:08
Notso, how true. The Y61 will be manufactured for years to come, for private and military use in many countries, they may find a decent motor and bring it back, who knows how they think. Nissan have a distinct lack of a full sized 4x4 wagon now. The Y62 hasn't really caught on and it must be the biggest SUV ever made. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 886294

Follow Up By: Notso - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 07:44

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 07:44
Yes, with Toyota going to the lumbering beast 200 series there is a niche for a proper rugged 4WD. The Y61 is the ideal platform, doesn't owe anything for development costs.Well sorted mechanicals etc. Just whack in a decent engine and it'd sell like hot cakes.
FollowupID: 886298

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 10:54

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 10:54
Axle

I'm not sure what's the best 4WD on the market - although without doubt you will get many responses and debate to your question.

For me, I have to see it through my own eyes, whether that aligns with others is another thing...

I enjoy our Toyota 79 Series, which we have customised (yes Mrs Landy - at great expense) for our own requirements and it serves us well with little fuss...

And at the other end of the scale, we do have our Suzuki Jimny in the driveway that is no wallflower when called to action...

But I must say, the one vehicle I regret selling was our Landrover Defender TDi200 (Red Rover) which we restored - it did everything asked of it, and more.

Let me ponder on whether it is the best 4WD on the market...

Red Rover - A Tale of a Landcover Make-over...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

AnswerID: 615345

Reply By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 10:59

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 10:59
This thread is about vehicles currently on the market, not oldies from the past.

My auto D-Max is less than two years and 54,000 k's old but Isuzu have such a great deal for existing owners to upgrade before year end that I expect I will updating before Christmas.
Reliability is number one for me and an Isuzu engine is bulletproof.

I put the Isuzu 4JJ1 motor in the same class as the Toyota 1HD-FTE.

Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 615346

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 23:53

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 23:53
Idler Chris, I must apologise for mentioning my old 60 series cruiser... I didnt realise this thread was only for new vehicles... We (my wife) does own a 2014 200 service Cruiser, however the thread was about the best 4WD (in peoples opinion). I (we) can’t comment on the apparently amazing capabilities of the 200 as it will never go off road because we have the 60 for that... I have previously owned an 80 (1hz) and a 100 series (1hdfte) - amoungst other 4wd’s.... I prefer the 88 hj61 to all of them for 4wding (and general driving)... I wouldn’t consider a DMax for 4wding as I prefer the wagon and lack of electronics.... The100 TD doesn’t come close to the 200 for power and economy, so I am unsure why you compared that to the DMax since the 1hdfte stopped being produced about 10 years back....
FollowupID: 886295

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 08:58

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 08:58
This thread is about the best 4wd on the market, not about advertising the DMax Christmas Special.
Dave.
FollowupID: 886299

Follow Up By: Gramps - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 16:16

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 16:16
Where does the OP specify "new" car market?

Regards
FollowupID: 886305

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 11:58

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 11:58
"Secondhand" technically is still "on the market" today.

If you are spending 30 to 70k+ on a new unproven high tech vehicle that is a lot of cash that could be spent getting the "right" second hand vehicle to expedition spec.

Even more so if you are mechanically adept ...... and passionate!
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886316

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 15:47

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 15:47
I went through the same thing 3 years ago. Retiring early and I wanted a 4wd that would last. Always had Toyota's. After months of research I settled on a Pajero. One of the smartest moves I have done in my life! It has performed faultlessly and a joy to drive. Tows well, easy on fuel, no mechanical gremlins, proven vehicle and is great on suburban roads or old bush tracks. Looked at 200 series, Isuzu,s, Mazdas, Nissans etc,...owned a few Tojo 4wds and drove Nissan 4wd,s out bush for work over many years. Was a big step to leave the Toyota clan but so glad I did (hip pocket liked it too).

....decisions, decisions
AnswerID: 615349

Reply By: Theo D - Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 21:19

Sunday, Dec 03, 2017 at 21:19
Wow! Go the D-max hey!!! Gonna have a bit more of a look at them if thats the case.

I've been lucky enough to drive lots of 4wds in my field of work with Nat Parks and I am sold on the 2.8L Hilux. If money was no issue (oh but it is LOL) I would get one. I was never a fan at all of the 3L models... they were tough but just lacking tow-power IMHO. The 2.8L just does it all... all the features of a modern day 4wd with the Tojo reliability. The only downside is the small fuel tank, why manufacturers are still fitting these things with tanks under 100L is baffling.

I purchased a 2006 105 series Landcruiser wagon earlier this year with all the bells and whistles. Its the last of the live axle wagons and has the bombproof 1hz, which is the most trustworthy bit of gear ever made (few more kw would be handy, thats the trade off). Initially I wanted a decked out 80 Series which are ofcourse probably the best touring 4wd ever built - but finding a genuinely well conditioned one these days is near impossible. And even then you still have to consider everything on it is still 20+yrs old. When my 105 came up I jumped on it pretty quick. It will do me for a long time yet, 1 million clicks is entirely possible in these things!
AnswerID: 615352

Reply By: dirvine - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 08:07

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 08:07
The problem is what does "on the market" mean. Brand new off a showroom floor with no mods? Or on Car Sales.com and being a 1970 Toyota heavily modded? Both are on the market. So Axle please define the words " on the market". Then I may respond.

David
AnswerID: 615358

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 13:05

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 13:05
There are a lot of great 4WD's but it depends on how you rate them?

1. Is reliability important to you?
2. Are bells and whistles more important than reliability?
3. Is re-sale value important to you?
4. Do you buy on appearance instead of practicality?

The Isuzu and Toyota products have developed a reputation for robustness and reliability yet the Isuzu product is not selling like some others? Why is that?

The answer is most likely because people use 2 and 4 before 1 and 3.

AnswerID: 615361

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 14:58

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 14:58
Drove the new Hilux last week and was impressed with how it went .
Went for a drive last year in a superseded DMax and was under whelmed . The DMax is no doubt reliable but to me really bland .
Probably the 2 best in the ute market for reliability .

Cheers
FollowupID: 886304

Follow Up By: dirvine - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 08:37

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 08:37
I think if you have a close look at issues with Isuzu, especially the Daily 4 x 4, there a a number of reliability short comings that Isuzu could easily address but for some reason choose not to. Hence they are not high on peoples lists. Of the other Isuzus, ie MUX etc, they were in some regards the "poor" relation to the Holden Colorado, and have had trouble trying to restablish their own individual identity, since the "split".Again like LR, the dealer network is not as great as say Toyota, Ford or Holden, and people worry about repairability in remote locations.
FollowupID: 886313

Follow Up By: dirvine - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 08:39

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 08:39
I think if you have a close look at issues with Isuzu, especially the Daily 4 x 4, there a a number of reliability short comings that Isuzu could easily address but for some reason choose not to. Hence they are not high on peoples lists. Of the other Isuzus, ie MUX etc, they were in some regards the "poor" relation to the Holden Colorado, and have had trouble trying to restablish their own individual identity, since the "split".Again like LR, the dealer network is not as great as say Toyota, Ford or Holden, and people worry about repairability in remote locations.
FollowupID: 886314

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 14:17

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 14:17
Iveco Daily, an Italian car?
FollowupID: 886319

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 20:05

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 20:05
dirvine. Do you to elaborate on that statement? I have owned 3 Isuzu based vehicles as workutes and outback explorers. Only problem I have ever hard was a clutch and it was covered under warranty. Never heard of any reliability issues. Just did a google search and nothing comes up except the front CVs on utes with big lifts
FollowupID: 886332

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 10:17

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 10:17
For a new 4X4 straight of the show room floor [ if you can still find one that is ] that is virtually unstoppable and is a 'true' vehicle for comfort on H/way , go anywhere off the beaten track ,not to bad on fuel economy , holding its 'value' very well you can't go past the Toyota FJ Cruiser..........
AnswerID: 615365

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 14:24

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 14:24
Big call for a vehicle that never really caught the imagination of the 4x4 market.

But it has one good point in my eyes its a Toyota .

Cheers
FollowupID: 886320

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 23:54

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 23:54
Mainly driven by "yes" voters Im told :-)
FollowupID: 886391

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Dec 07, 2017 at 07:13

Thursday, Dec 07, 2017 at 07:13
I can't offer much in the way of how they might perform, but I can say that I have seen many in remote areas towing caper trailers and owner feedback I have been given has been positive...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 886395

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 11:46

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 11:46
For me - field servicability - ruggedness - (is the front end going to handle days of heavy going) - will it still be reliable in 10 years time (yep Im a shocker for keeping cars if they are going well)
How easy is it to modify. How available are accessories eg diff locks long range fuel tanks etc etc.

I tie economy to reliability and servicability. One can spend 10s of thusands of dollars extra to buy better economy but one failure in the wrong location can blow the budget out of the water.

I agree with Robin Miller older Cruisers and Patrols are worth considering. They are still technically on the market as second hand vehicles. Some models and engines are pretty well indestructable or at least respond well to any money spent on them.

Personally I still run a well modified and maintained GQ Patrol with the RB30 petrol engine. I keep an eye out for something to replace it (my wife would love a more comfy offroad tourer) but too many people have asked to buy it regretting that they sold theirs years ago and have been unhappy with the new tech and weak front ends and drive trains...
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 615369

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 18:30

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 18:30
If the FJ Cruiser came with a diesel donk, it would have sold more than the petrol model for sure.. but it may have eaten into other Toyota Diesel sales such as Landcruiser and Hilux. I guess its, a balancing act to maximize sales. FJ Cruiser ran for 10 years, how the time flies. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 886328

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 09:33

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 09:33
Michael , FJ first 'sold' in USA 2007 , first in AUS 2010 'orders' taken , Japan tsunami caused major delays ,, 2013 upgrade model [ dual tanks + crawl control ] , 2015 USA model discontinued , Aug 2016 last orders for Aus market [ over 15,000 sold in Aus ] still available new in Japan and Sth Africa and UAE .....never a diesel offerd due to original 'build' was for USA which was biggest market ....Good first Aus delivery models still commanding $30k+ from an original $48k ....
FollowupID: 886349

Reply By: GerryG - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 18:18

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2017 at 18:18
Personally, give me a series 2A Landrover any day! No seriously, how many of the following boxes can you tick?

a. Easily cleaned. One of the kids has puked on the back seat, the new pup has vomited in the back and a full can of coke has just been emptied, for a joke, on another kids head! Solution: get the garden hose.

b. Resale value. You picked it up for $1,500 two years ago and it'll still get $1,200 next year! Who else has only dropped $300 in the last three years?

c. Low odometer reading! It's been around the clock at least once but the next guy will probable never notice!

d. Low maintenance. Dents, the odd rust spot, peeling/faded paint and odd tyres. I mean, who'd bother!

e. Absolute go anywhere. When was the last time you took your prize and joy through a gap in the scrub that was only half the width of your vehicle!

f. Family vehicle. Number one son, still on his P plates, wants to take four of his mates to Fraser Island for schoolies week. Put up your hand if you'd oblige?

Yep! Guess I'm just a Landy sort of guy!
AnswerID: 615378

Follow Up By: KevinE - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 18:02

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 18:02
I did my army driver's course in one in the 70's. It was old then lol!

Have driven virgin bush in them. Drove up from Pt Augusta towards Woomera without ever going near a track. Great for that stuff, but not so great for awkward inclines/declines. Was in the front passenger seat of one that rolled while on patrol at the now defunct Gladstone ammo depot at xmas 1977. Luckily there was nobody in the back. The driver & I spent the night in hospital. The fuel tank under the seat made for an interesting experience, as the driver was smoking!

Later, I worked in the repair parts store at the army workshop at Warradale in the mid 80's. The bulk storage area had a constant turnover of landrover drive chain assemblies. Engines, trans cases, axle assemblies etc. We had Dent Motors on site in those days & they charged $6K to rebuild an engine back in 1986. They weren't short of work either!

A Staff Sergeant named Saunders did a feasibility study on costings to put Holden 6 cyl petrol's into them & came up with $2K per vehicle fitted. The army wouldn't look at it. Something about contracts with the UK. What a shame!

Know a bloke who bleeds green & he has one, but not sure I could. I remember how excited we all were when we were getting Series 3's lol!

On the up side, it'll never rust, coz it's alloy lol!

:)
FollowupID: 886372

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 18:36

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 18:36
Pure gold Kevin...!

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 886374

Reply By: hooks - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 07:30

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 07:30
I am surprised that that is no mention of the BT50 or Ford Ranger. Interesting
AnswerID: 615384

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 19:52

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 19:52
G'day hooks

I've owned numerous brands of 4wd and have had a good run out of nearly all of them ! I stopped posting about my last few 4wd's on this site coz basically, if it's not a Toyota it's no good. I currently have two 4wd's and one of them is a 5 year old PX Ranger I purchased new and now has 200,000 pretty hard k's on the clock and I can't fault it !!

It's smooth, quiet, comfortable, economical, reliable, tows my heavy trailers constantly with ease and eats my mates Hilux's and Dmax's off road ! ( could be the driver though lol )

But I do doubt it will see the one million kilometres one of my trusty old GQ
Patrol's has done without any major work/repairs !

Unless one of the other brands comes up with something better I will definitely be buying another Ranger

Cheers

Gazz

FollowupID: 886375

Sponsored Links