Campsite Recs

Submitted: Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 12:05
ThreadID: 135948 Views:3362 Replies:3 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys,

I'm planning on doing some camping along the coast between Adelaide and Melbourne this Christmas. In previous years I've booked national parks almost exclusively but this year, I'm bringing my dog so pretty much all of the NP sites on the SA side are not an option with a few options on the VIC side.

Can anyone recommend some spots that are dog- friendly?

Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 12:44

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 12:44
Hey there,
I was looking for one for you, at Carpenter Rocks, supposed to be a caravan / holiday park, but couldn't find it with a google search.
Saw a post a while ago somewhere that said besides the normal area in the main park, they have dune camping further towards the back behind the dunes of the foreshore . . . not sure if dogs are ok or not, but might be worth a look online more.

The other thing is you could try Carpenter Rocks little camping area at Cape Banks.
It is Nat Pk controlled, but many of their camps in SA are dog ok under control (like the Coorong beach camping is allowable for dogs).
The link to that site is here CAPE BANKS CAMPING and you'll see a link in there for inquiring about muttly DEWNR.SEOnlineBookings@sa.gov.au or ph (08) 8735 1177.

Without knowing how you like to camp, or what route / timetable you have, it is difficult to make other suggestions.
AnswerID: 615360

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 16:34

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 16:34
Are you sure about Coorong allowing dogs? The parks website clearly states that dogs are only allowed below the high tide line on Ocean Beach for the purpose of exercise and dog must be transported to/from by vehicle and restrained on the lead. Not permitted in lagoon etc etc.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 886307

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 16:45

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 16:45
Whoops yeah just noticed the info on this page Coorong
Looks like definately not for beach camping, just day visits.

Still contact that email and number and ask, Cape Banks isn't part of the main Canunda NP area.

Oh, and it was Southend Cara Pk I was thinking of !!
Southend Cara Park
Looking at the dog on the main page I'd say all ok.

One other I just thought of is Wrights Bay, lap dogs are ok there, not sure what you have.
Wrights Bay camping
FollowupID: 886308

Follow Up By: ehliamo - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 07:51

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 07:51
Great - thanks for your suggestions, I’ll check them out.

The itinerary is pretty loose at this stage, but I do want to spend some time down in the south east so Carpenter Rocks might be a goer.
FollowupID: 886348

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 09:53

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 09:53
Or the Southend dunes / Wrights Bay camping as per last reply above.
FollowupID: 886351

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 16:10

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 16:10
Do you have WikiCamps? The app will run on iPhone, Android phones and Win 10. You can install it on 3 devices for less than $10. Most campsites have more reviews than you will get on a forum.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 615363

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 16:25

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 16:25
Not wishing to counter your suggestion, but I would be surprised if Wiki Camps had any extra camps that weren't already listed on ExplorOz Places - which of course comes with the ExplorOz Traveller app? If there is, I would be dubious of them being valid/legal campsites but happy to be corrected...
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 886306

Follow Up By: Member - J&A&KK - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 19:48

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 19:48
Peter

I agree. Generally comments are useful provided there are enough of them. Legality of the sites may be dubious at times but often reading the comments will alert you to that. I have thrown away a large thick book I previously used as I haven’t found it provided as much detail as WC.

Trust the following may be of assistance to OP

John
FollowupID: 886310

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 21:02

Monday, Dec 04, 2017 at 21:02
Actually there are quite a few campsites on Wiki that aren't on Places. Some of my favourites aren't on Places but wiki allows users to input sites into Wiki's database and I doubt both databases would ever be the same. $60 is a lot of money if all a person wants is campsite locations.
FollowupID: 886311

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 09:03

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 09:03
We spent last night at The Granites, about 20k north of K-S-E.
You can drive the beach all the way from Kingston to the Murray mouth (about 160km) and camp along the way. The northern end is National Park, the southern end is not.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 615385

Follow Up By: ehliamo - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 12:11

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 12:11
Great thanks for the tip - I know the granites. Did you spend the night in the carpark or on the beach?

Also, when you say you can drive the full length of the beach Kingston SE - Murray Mouth, that's on the ocean side of Younghusband Peninsula?

CHeers!
FollowupID: 886356

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 12:45

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 12:45
All the way ehliamo, but some sections can be a little tricky unless experienced on soft sand / angled beaches . . . solo can be a risk and you have to watch tides.
Very often in Winter, large sections of beach can be washed out to the dunes, or very large shelfs exposed on the beach.

Kingston to the Granites is normally billiard table flat and hard, heading futher along the beach towards 28 Mile, it progressively gets softer.

I have driven 42 Mile to the SA / Vic border a couple of times fully, on beaches / dune tracks as much as possible, and many other singular sections all through.
It is a great 4 day drive doing the whole route like that, but always been with good crew in case support needed either way.
FollowupID: 886361

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 17:07

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2017 at 17:07
Yep, ocean side.
We were "in transit" from Melbourne to Adelaide, so just stayed in the car park, but have previously driven all the way on a few occasions, and lots further east too.
Very windy there last night.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.
FollowupID: 886369

Sponsored Links